• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is there any sense with making a light ski with a heavy plate/binding? Such a combo could be worse. Race bindings are quite beefy. Like Din 20, 32. Lots of metal.
32 DIN? I thought Marker was the highest at 30? 32...for when 30 is just too warm and fuzzy. Is there even a spring or just a roll of quarters in there?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there any sense with making a light ski with a heavy plate/binding? Such a combo could be worse. Race bindings are quite beefy. Like Din 20, 32. Lots of metal.

I spend as much time and energy on making my waterski bindings light as the ski.

On the snow, I'm all in for lightweight. Skis, bindings and even boots. But I'm stuck with the factory choices. Unless I start building... (insert mad engineer evil laugh!)

Eric

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ele, how much do you weigh?

James

Out There
Instructor
I spend as much time and energy on making my waterski bindings light as the ski.
Yeah that's the prob, alpine bindings are expensive to make light. Developing and Testing.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@markojp Very personal question. A little over 170 unless I'm really in shape. The titanium hip added a few pounds (the doctor laughed at that).

@James Snow ski bindings are a marvel of engineering. But certainly weight reduction is possible. Through many paths. Maybe not Spademanns but who knows? Just one quarter, not the whole roll? Direct bolting of the boot? Molding the ski and boot as one unit?

Of course, since I run a DIN of about 7, I have lots of lightweight options for a snow ski binding. I do understand the need for a higher DIN. I don't want my waterski binding to release. I release when something breaks - fortunately it hasn't been anything on me. (Note, the original hip injury happened when I didn't even fall. Getting old sucks.)

Eric

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, kind of bumping this thread. I have to say I starting to be less convinced that Rossignol and Dynastar are the same ski. More and more I’m seeing flex differences with Dynastar being stiffer and poppier time and again.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@BGreen have you checked that they are actually the same race stock models. As well as the standard race stock there is the "team" version of the ski, normally found with NCAA D1 and Nor-am athletes. The Team version has a little sticker on the tail and a different model no, plus (on the Rossi at least) a black sidewall. Quite a difference in performance and build compared to the standard race stock version.
fullsizeoutput_3786.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3780.jpeg

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@ScotsSkier No in-depth testing here, and I’m not specifically talking about FIS slaloms, though I know that’s what this thread is covering, but just a general, across the line observation. The Rossi boots seem a bit softer than the matching Lange, and the Rossi skis often are softer than the matching Dynastar. I thought this was discussed in another thread, but I couldn’t find it. I didn’t believe there was a difference, but I keep seeing differences.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. yes, the Rossi boot is supposed to be a slightly softer plastic than the Lange. That was mentioned in one of the boot threads where Lange/Rossi were being compared. I event been on the dynasty race stocks for a while so need to try a pair again to see if it is noticeable

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve been in this discussion before. Talking about FIS race skis in SL and GS. I have no info on current seasons skis (have a hard time believing it is changed though), but the previous seasons we have had quite a few Rossignol and a few pairs of Dynastars. Only been the top sheet that differed. Flex did indeed vary on ”identical” skis, but that wasn’t tied to brand. Seemed random to me.
Also heard about Lange Rossi plastic. Don’t know if that is myth or truth. We’ve only been in Lange. The mold, buckles, strap etc. seem identical.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I honestly doubt there's difference between them. It's same company, same production line and same people doing them. And with so specific market, I really doubt they would invest developing two different materials for same thing. I was never too much into this, as I just used whatever I got (a while ago I was in Lange lately I'm in Rossi, but too much time between them to be really able to tell anything), but I will try to find out how's at least for WC boots, sometime on the end of the month (in GAP), as till then I'm on xc ski WC and nowhere near Kitzbuehel ;)

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the new Rossi allspeed elite 130 and the plastic does seem quite a bit more pliable than my langes.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Primoz There are lots of choices in plastic resin. Makes sense to rebrand the same mold with a slightly different plastic. There's probably a different plastic for the top racers as well. They also would have tested many options in the design phase and made good use of the data.

No idea it this is real. It's how I'd do it. When I worked at the injection molder we tested lots of plastics (including different brands) in the mold to make the parts right. Standard operating procedures.

Eric

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the new Rossi allspeed elite 130 and the plastic does seem quite a bit more pliable than my langes.

Just to compare apples to apples, the question is re race products. There are probably all kinds of variations between the different brands on non-race skiing products. Even unique models. I don’t have so much experience. Someone like Phil would probably know all sbout those.
Lange would be RS and Rossi SI. I think they are both called World Cup now.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@BGreen have you checked that they are actually the same race stock models. As well as the standard race stock there is the "team" version of the ski, normally found with NCAA D1 and Nor-am athletes. The Team version has a little sticker on the tail and a different model no, plus (on the Rossi at least) a black sidewall. Quite a difference in performance and build compared to the standard race stock version.

I HATE those stickered skis. Skied one from the WC last year... awful. They were meant for injected snow... mostly unskiable elsewhere.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I HATE those stickered skis. Skied one from the WC last year... awful. They were meant for injected snow... mostly unskiable elsewhere.

That's surprising Heluva, I have not found that issue with the pair I have. Although my Rossi race rep, uses the non team version for slalom but the team version for GS

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
That's surprising Heluva, I have not found that issue with the pair I have. Although my Rossi race rep, uses the non team version for slalom but the team version for GS

The GS I skied a few years ago was amazing. Just can't make the Rossi SL work for me. The team ski was horrible. Not a bad ski for some, just not for me. I'll take Fischer and Atomic any day of the week over Rossi.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January