• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You only have to look at the Rossi and the Dynastar to see they are not identical. But they are made in the same factory and share a lot of ski characteristics.

My daughter has raced on Rossi in the previous three seasons, but have had a few Dynastar training pairs too, SL and GS (FIS HERO R21 and R21 WC FIS), and they have been identical in later years apart from top sheet up til at least 15/16. Don't know about the 17/18 versions.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, just mounted two pairs tonight... plates and bindings on one... Huge pain in the ass.

Hold on, you moved the plate? Fischer and Head should have Tyrolia, right, the Freeflex system. Haven't had any of their Sr FIS-skis, only a pair of Fischer U14 JR SL:s and Elan GS:s (freeflex too). But plate did not move (integrated with ski) and all pre-drilled. Easy as pie to adjust bindings for different bsl:s (and I guess to move you off line, if you wanted that for some reason -- never tried).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Swede Tyrolia race plate is not integrated with ski. Normally skis (at least race skis) come without plate, and you drill them yourself (basically any ski, from Fischer, Elan and Head to Rossi/Dynastar), and then drill plate to mount binding (with Rossi you are spared of doing that, as their plate is different and doesn't need drilling). Tyrolia plate has two mounting positions, which basically differ only with spacing between front and back part of the plate (men is wider apart, to have more space for bigger boots, and women setting is closer together, as most of women have smaller boots).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Primoz
Interesting. I guess it also depends on where in the "food chain" you're at.
Have only had Tyrolia on three pairs of Elans (RCS and RCG) and one pair of Fischer Jr SL:s which came the plate mounted from the factory. Holes pre-drilled in the plate to accomodate for different mounts to different bsl:s. I realise "integrated" is the wrong wording. "Factory mounted" perhaps.

Last edited:

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Hold on, you moved the plate? Fischer and Head should have Tyrolia, right, the Freeflex system. Haven't had any of their Sr FIS-skis, only a pair of Fischer U14 JR SL:s and Elan GS:s (freeflex too). But plate did not move (integrated with ski) and all pre-drilled. Easy as pie to adjust bindings for different bsl:s (and I guess to move you off line, if you wanted that for some reason -- never tried).

The adult plates, as mentioned above are not integrated with the ski, but rather [often, but not always] come pre-mounted on the skis. They are rarely (never with Fischer) pre-drilled for Tyrolia Free Flex bindings. The plates and bindings can be moved from the race skis to any pair of skis... The picture below should give some context as to why I loathe mounting these things.

23542B25-FDED-499C-BA05-FB6E3B367EED_zpsaaq5nq31.jpg

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You only have to look at the Rossi and the Dynastar to see they are not identical. But they are made in the same factory and share a lot of ski characteristics.

Interesting. At least until last season the FIS slaloms were the same. If you look at the Artech site it lists the Dynastar FIS R21 as 120/67/103 and the Rossi FIS R21 as 116/67/103. However if you check the Dynastar site it shows the FIS R21 slalom as ......yes, 116.5/67/103....... which would be the same as the Rossi......

SIDECUT (MM)
SPEED WC FIS SL (R21 WC)
filaire-ski.png

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The adult plates, as mentioned above are not integrated with the ski, but rather [often, but not always] come pre-mounted on the skis. They are rarely (never with Fischer) pre-drilled for Tyrolia Free Flex bindings. The plates and bindings can be moved from the race skis to any pair of skis... The picture below should give some context as to why I loathe mounting these things.

***having technical difficulties with the photo... stay tuned***

Yes, normally on the FIS skis with that plate (Head/Fischer) the plate comes undrilled. Some of the lower models do come with a predrilled plate. I have also seen some Heads come with the plate pre-drilled.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Yes, normally on the FIS skis with that plate (Head/Fischer) the plate comes undrilled. Some of the lower models do come with a predrilled plate. I have also seen some Heads come with the plate pre-drilled.

I have seen Elans that came pre-drilled as well, but you're right, it is rare.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting. At least until last season the FIS slaloms were the same. If you look at the Artech site it lists the Dynastar FIS R21 as 120/67/103 and the Rossi FIS R21 as 116/67/103. However if you check the Dynastar site it shows the FIS R21 slalom as ......yes, 116.5/67/103....... which would be the same as the Rossi......

SIDECUT (MM)
SPEED WC FIS SL (R21 WC)
filaire-ski.png
yeah, saw that also. I am guessing George has a typo and I would think the Dynastar website is correct. Both Rossi and the Dynastar list as 4.2 kg and 13 meter. I don't think 2 diff tip widths with same waist and tail would produce the same 13 meter turning radius, so I think Rossi and Dynastar have identical dimensions.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, saw that also. I am guessing George has a typo and I would think the Dynastar website is correct. Both Rossi and the Dynastar list as 4.2 kg and 13 meter. I don't think 2 diff tip widths with same waist and tail would produce the same 13 meter turning radius, so I think Rossi and Dynastar have identical dimensions.

That would be my thought, a 120 tip on that would probably reduce the radius to nearer 12. And with the new forward mount would give an interesting hook-up!!! :eek:

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier

SIDECUT (MM)
SPEED WC FIS SL (R21 WC)
filaire-ski.png
RAGAE01_HERO-FIS-SL-R21WC_FCFA022_SPX-15-Rockerflex-White-Icon-rgb72dpi.jpg
1507349817-DAGAE01_SPEED-WC-FIS-SL-R21-WC_FCFA022_SPX-15-ROCKERFLEX-rgb72dpi.jpg

Easy to see that the top construction is different as is the overal shape. The global dimension are in fact the same as some other posters have mentioned.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shape looks identical to my eye, but the different scale makes it hard to see. Top sheet, as previous years, different. That has only been cosmetics and underneath exactly the same ski. Question is if they have started to produce two different SL constructions for 2017/2018?

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I'd only trust skis in hand, what a manufacturer posts on their website can be a rendering or Photoshopped, sometimes they'll past new graphics into a selection of the top sheet with no regard to actual ski shape. I know because I did this, immoral cad that I am (and because the actual ski was months away from being built).

Add to that whatever the monkeys do further down the retail chain... they can be rather liberal with details.

Lots of product photos are not actual photos anymore. Cars especially.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
I switched over to Dynastar GS skis last year and the regional rep told me that the Rossi/Dynastar skis were the same. When looking at videos on YouTube that show WC racers visiting their factories, you'll see both Rossi and Dynastar race skis together on the same racks; it certainly seems to indicate that they are "twins."

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I switched over to Dynastar GS skis last year and the regional rep told me that the Rossi/Dynastar skis were the same. When looking at videos on YouTube that show WC racers visiting their factories, you'll see both Rossi and Dynastar race skis together on the same racks; it certainly seems to indicate that they are "twins."

Yes, they have been identically constructed. Not similar, identical, paint aside, in the previous years. Then, what the WC skiers are on is something different. The ones they make movies about visiting the factory have their skis made specifically for them by the race dept/race room. I find it unlikely that Rossi/Dynastar would start to produce two different 'mass market' FIS skis, but it's possible of course. I don't have the new skis -- but have had SL and GS skis of both brands and there has been plenty of Rossi/Dynastar athletes on my daughters team to be 100% certain that they have indeed been "the same" ski.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
... there has been plenty of Rossi/Dynastar athletes on my daughters team to be 100% certain that they have indeed been "the same" ski.

I actually know of athletes who are sponsored by Rossignol, who have, at times, received Dynastar skis when the length/flex/model of ski they needed was unavailable with a Rossignol top sheet... they just sub in the Dynastars.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 31574 View attachment 31575
Easy to see that the top construction is different as is the overal shape. The global dimension are in fact the same as some other posters have mentioned.
Looks like a photo-graphically illusion to me. For me I’ll go with what ScotSkier suggests (best ski rep filter truth there is).

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online