• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mancuso & Winter Olympics

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
HaHa! Classic. That looks like a USA piece of tape. If it were VISA the whole logo would be visible!

Surprised that she could get a chair/lounge considering how many other serious athletes are in that picture.

Hmmm. Never met a camera she did not like. Not that LV is any different in that respect.
One thing I like about her and Lindsey Vonn is that both are setting themselves up to continue on their passionate path after the career as they currently know it is fading. IMHO LV has a better work ethic, but Julia is hanging it all out there.
JM Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/juliamancuso/
LV Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lindseyvonn/

Love this video (should probably put it in the LV thread)

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Julia has always had fun. "Skiing" should be fun. However this is a serious profession as a professional athlete and as a WC skier. The USST {or any national team} only has so many resources and so much money. The USST has invested a fortune in Mancuso. At times, over the course of her long career, many people in the organization have been pretty dismayed at what they perceived as a headstrong commitment to have fun, a different work ethic, and a tendency to rely on rather than build on her tremendous natural talent.

This^^^^

With only a limited number of slots, the focus needs to be on those that are competitive.

I always hated “team sports” because it is/was not 100% performance based

I think all athletes in all sports should be compensated on performance, not guaranteed contracts after one good year. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

TS
Jack skis

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to see that people whose opinions on skiing and ski racing I respect and even depend on to give me good info on the sport can have such apparently negative feelings about Julia Mancuso. As a long time ski racing fan I've really appreciated all she's contributed to the sport. A bubbly (is that a word?) personality, a zest for life and having fun, and the ability to perform at an extremely high level are all good things in my book. Is she trying to extend her career and keep making money? I suppose so, many of us do the same in our own lives.

Will she be able to ski competitively enough to make it to another Olympics? It looks like it may not be possible. I for one can't blame her for trying and hope her the best. She's accomplished much more in her racing career than many, and most of us posting here, have. Kudos to Julia for what she's accomplished and may the future bring her continued success and fulfillment.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to see that people whose opinions on skiing and ski racing I respect and even depend on to give me good info on the sport can have such apparently negative feelings about Julia Mancuso. As a long time ski racing fan I've really appreciated all she's contributed to the sport. A bubbly (is that a word?) personality, a zest for life and having fun, and the ability to perform at an extremely high level are all good things in my book. Is she trying to extend her career and keep making money? I suppose so, many of us do the same in our own lives.

Will she be able to ski competitively enough to make it to another Olympics? It looks like it may not be possible. I for one can't blame her for trying and hope her the best. She's accomplished much more in her racing career than many, and most of us posting here, have. Kudos to Julia for what she's accomplished and may the future bring her continued success and fulfillment.
I appreciate your thoughts on this and I think you've misinterpreted my comments. I adore Julia Mancuso and think she did a lot for the sport, but she has some considerable health concerns that will likely continue to hold her back. The comments made about her dedication to training and reliability on her natural talent are just that, and she makes no bones about it. While LV and MS are posting videos about their work out routines, dry land drills and ski training in the summer time, JM is posting videos of surfing and sun bathing.
The harsh reality is, she's contagiously enthusiastic and extremely talented, but her dedication to put the work into it seems to have faded some time ago. That doesn't mean that she's not a phenomenal skier, and it doesn't mean that we don't like her. It means that she switched gears in some way and may be better served if she uses her contagious enthusiasm in other ways to generate $$ for herself, the sport and the future ski racers who follow in her ski tracks.

There is a reason I follow her. She is fun and she makes skiing look fun.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
With only a limited number of slots, the focus needs to be on those that are competitive.

Is she trying to extend her career and keep making money? I suppose so, many of us do the same in our own lives.

To address both of your points - I'm not sure JM has any responsibility to make way for others who are "harder workers" to be on the team. She has a responsibility to be true to her own goals. Those in charge of the ski team have the responsibility to decide if she's on the team. Obviously, on some level, they decided she's their pick - right? Or is there some complication I don't understand? If there's a policy that interferes, it's the policy that needs to be considered.

I'm also uncomfortable with the "harder worker" argument because ... well, others know better than I, to be sure, but rest and mental state are such critical elements for physical performance and long-term health. Is it possible that she is, in fact, working as hard as she can, and taking care of her body and mental health in the best way she knows how? If she worked as consistently as the others and then crashed and burned, would we applaud her for working so hard? And how many times has that happened to other athletes?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The "fact" that Ski Racing is serious business and should be given the reverence it deserves by the great unwashed masses, is... EXACTLY what is wrong with Ski Racing.

Sliding around on snow with slabs of wood plastic and metal on your feet and sticks in your hands is silly. Trying to get to the bottom of the hill faster than your buddy is silly. PAYING people to professionally slide around? F'ng ludicrous.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To address both of your points - I'm not sure JM has any responsibility to make way for others who are "harder workers" to be on the team. She has a responsibility to be true to her own goals. Those in charge of the ski team have the responsibility to decide if she's on the team. Obviously, on some level, they decided she's their pick - right? Or is there some complication I don't understand? If there's a policy that interferes, it's the policy that needs to be considered.

I'm also uncomfortable with the "harder worker" argument because ... well, others know better than I, to be sure, but rest and mental state are such critical elements for physical performance and long-term health. Is it possible that she is, in fact, working as hard as she can, and taking care of her body and mental health in the best way she knows how? If she worked as consistently as the others and then crashed and burned, would we applaud her for working so hard? And how many times has that happened to other athletes?

Effort and hard work mean little to nothing to me. Results on the other hand... Yes! I do respect a person who works hard, but it is not a pathway to a “slot” on a limited team with a limited budget. IMO only results matter.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The "fact" that Ski Racing is serious business and should be given the reverence it deserves by the great unwashed masses, is... EXACTLY what is wrong with Ski Racing.

Sliding around on snow with slabs of wood plastic and metal on your feet and sticks in your hands is silly. Trying to get to the bottom of the hill faster than your buddy is silly. PAYING people to professionally slide around? F'ng ludicrous.

Not sure which you are referring to, as I see two streams of money:
1) Team funding that goes to train the national athletes who represent the country. This is really important (in my uneducated opinion) as essentially it pays for your training, travel and fitness

2) Sponsorship money paid to the individual athletes. “F’ng ludicrous”? Well, studies and history tells us that consumers buy what top performers use and endorse. $100,000,000’s have been spent on understanding the whims of consumers, and the industry KNOWS it is profitable to pay the top skiers AND those most loved a lot of money to sway the consumer. “Ludicrous”? Hmmm, history, buying habits and psychological studies have proven it is money very well spent by the (in this circumstance) ski industry companies.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
She was/is in Truckee this last weekend, track her down. :)

That's what the word is. Flew into Reno from Chile? And likely on Maui tonight, and on Fiji the next day, I bet. She would have a block of time off, even if she were to join the team {even for the media stuff} when they next head to Europe. Seem like her normal "gig" is to head to be with her husband, rather than his coming to Tahoe.

She was in Truckee quite a bit of the summer......

Now if she stays around Truckee, and spends a lot of time in the gym, that would tell us something, I think. Or might be selling us something.

I'll weigh in later. Don't intend to be mean to Julia, BTW. Trying to be clear about all 360 degrees of this.

She is clearly hurting and broken right now, so one thing I do want to clarify is that the "hard work" discussion should really be in the context of about three years go and earlier...before the latest hip issues. I am sure that she was doing anything possible, and would do anything possible to get back on snow and compete. For me the work ethic discussion is a long term one, and it is linked to her enormous natural talent. Just huge.

That's the "discussion," I think about the body of her career.

And of course this gets muddied with the USST, the Olympics, etc.

She is injured, so the USST can't just drop her, or could not last summer. Same reason that Bode was on the roster a year ago.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The fun side of skiing.

Love this video!

But the editing confuses me. They arrive in a boat. Then the boat disappears, nowhere to be seen as they start the hike. Then ... there's a guardrail on the climb from the water? Okay, maybe. And then they get picked up by a helicopter. Wait, why didn't they just take a helicopter in the first place?

I realize these are likely multiple locations - and sure, there could also be a developed trail with a guard rail that you approach with a canoe, I guess - but it was very weird.

Pretty place to ski, though.

Muleski

Inactive
The editing also shows remarkably little skiing by Mancuso. This was shot a year ago. When she was just getting back on snow, very carefully. If you look carefully, her skiing just "not her." She just kills it free skiing, when she is healthy. Hips are important, particularly the way she skis.

If you watch this is cuts out when she is getting into the chopper and out of it, etc. More editing. She is aways the third to ski, and honesty, is it her, in every shot? just saying.

It does look fun, and hopefully she will back to this kind of skiing and filming. She could be a star. If and when healthy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The editing also shows remarkably little skiing by Mancuso. This was shot a year ago. When she was just getting back on snow, very carefully. If you look carefully, her skiing just "not her." She just kills it free skiing, when she is healthy. Hips are important, particularly the way she skis.

If you watch this is cuts out when she is getting into the chopper and out of it, etc. More editing. She is aways the third to ski, and honesty, is it her, in every shot? just saying.

It does look fun, and hopefully she will back to this kind of skiing and filming. She could be a star. If and when healthy.

I noticed that as well. She looked better in the movie I saw last November, whose name escapes me.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Love this video!

But the editing confuses me. They arrive in a boat. Then the boat disappears, nowhere to be seen as they start the hike. Then ... there's a guardrail on the climb from the water? Okay, maybe. And then they get picked up by a helicopter. Wait, why didn't they just take a helicopter in the first place?

I realize these are likely multiple locations - and sure, there could also be a developed trail with a guard rail that you approach with a canoe, I guess - but it was very weird.

Pretty place to ski, though.

Well, it is a GO Pro marketing video.. So lots of footage from somewhere being edited to make it look like you/us can do the same thing in 3 minutes. :)

Muleski

Inactive
She has been unable to really ski for A LONG time. That's the original point of this thread, I think. When she is fully recovered, which is going to take time, to say the least, she might return to being a big mountain star.

Now, that pays an awful lot less that what she used to earn. Particularly when she signed that Head contract.

Still, very, very fun to watch her ski. I remember seeing her free ski some high lines in Alaska, with Steven Nyman back when they were dating. Wow. And you could just sense how much joy she had, and fun. This was not watching a GoPro clip, this was watching with one's own eyes.

When alpine racing is your profession, it's often a lot of tedious hard work, with many ups and downs and not so much fun. The fun moments are often very far apart. That is part if this issue, IMO.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When alpine racing is your profession, it's often a lot of tedious hard work, with many ups and downs and not so much fun. The fun moments are often very far apart. That is part if this issue, IMO.

Hear hear! And that's why USSA has been working on making racing more enjoyable for non-USST/NCAA track athletes. While there's a decent, if often inconsistently managed, path toward the USST/NCAA goal, there isn't as much around for the non-elite-track athletes. Thus the major fall-off for athletes in the U16 and older groups: it becomes more work than fun, with less reward as the elite-track racers consolidate at the academies and high-level teams. And thus why USSA revised ski length rules for non-FIS-track racing - thus not forcing the athletes who aren't aspiring to USST/NCAA/FIS onto skis that require a lot of work to make a turn.

So the appeal of JM is that she makes it all look fun! Her training videos are often shot at the beach, in idyllic settings. She's shown playing about on the snow, wearing her Wonder Woman tank suit, etc. That appeals to younger racers! Sure, the ones who are looking toward the top end will gravitate toward MS and LV training videos (lots of sweat, gym work, et al), and they accurately portray what's involved with working toward elite track: all-in on the sport, all-in on workouts, all-in on quality miles under the skis.

I think the USST athlete who balances the two in terms of PR presence is Ligety. Yes, there are a lot of workout and gate training videos, but there are also plenty of video clips of him shredding pow at Deer Valley, or ripping the Mid-Mountain Trail in Park City on his mountain bike. There are shots of him in proud papa mode with his baby. He shows that there is a balance in life with fun moments, but that there is still a ton of work involved in being a World Cup skier.

So JM "puts butts in seats," to use the concert promoter parlance. She is a media dynamo, a great human interest story for NBC Sports, knows how to "make nice" with the camera. And the USST and NBC will be milking that appeal as much as possible in this Olympic year. I could even see her show up as a special commentator in Korea if the skiing element doesn't pan out (and I'm quite sure that it won't).

As far as those like @jmeb who would like to see JM emerge as a big mountain skier, that's within the realm of possibility but with some huge caveats. If she gets total hip replacement, big-hit, big mountain skiing is a dicey proposition. The stress level on the hip joint with the big drops is really big, and it shortens the lifespan of the prosthetics used. Shortened prosthetic lifespan means more frequent revisions, and each revision has a decreasing return of investment. She needs to think long-term (something that elite athletes seldom do, to be honest), so maybe an occasional big mountain tourney would be ideal; otherwise, she could be Squaw/Alpine's best mountain ambassador.

Just my $0.02 (especially as a total hip replacement patient who still coaches alpine racing)....

Muleski

Inactive
One of things that none of us know {or I don't think any of us do....if so, chirp up!} is what the long term plan of treatment is for Julia. All that I know is that both of her hips have issues, one more than the other. He doc, I believe, is still Marc Philippon, who is the head of Steadman Clinic in Vail. Hips are his specialty, and if I'm right one of his "things" is trying to do substantial work to minimize the need for a hip replacement{s}. I'm sort of under the impression that the surgery of about a year and half ago {or was it two} was to get her back on snow to compete through 2018, and maybe not the long term solution. I do not know that for fact.

Now, if she is looking at this being the end of the road, I would assume that she starts looking at the long term solution to be active, mobile, and pain free. Philippon has evidenty been very silent on this. Nothing that I can find in print, and no conversations that I have heard of. So, who knows.

But great post by @Rudi Riet. based on what he's been through, he would know. {And hope all's well, BTW.}

BTW, skiing orthodontist surgeon friend who does almost nothing but hips is 100% on board that she will be able to skis and be real healthy after a total hip replacement, but that hucking off 70 foot cliffs, banking of the sides of couloirs, etc. is "totally out of scope."

Interesting thoughts on the wide, grassroots appeal of Mancuso and how it may help keep numbers up. Regardess of the plan, they clearly think that she can play a big role, PR, and audience wise with the Olympics this year. Maybe on NBC as we have mentioned.

It's very interesting, much beyond this one athlete's hip injury. Among other things, It sounds like the general expectation is for a lot of turnover within the USSA/USST after the games, both in SLC and in the coaching ranks. I'll say right upfront that I know nothing whatsoever about any of the disciplines other than alpine......and there are a lot of them.

Sticking with the heavy bet that we're not going to see her racing at the WC level. Done. It would be great if she is well enough to shift ski gears after some time.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't doubt she's done but I have a hard time with the never really taken it seriously stuff. Whatever you haven't had in WC results from her you've had in stoke and inspiration and modelling for kids that skiing can still be fun at the top level. & Olympic medals that many "serious" athletes would kill for. There is room for both LVs and JMs in sport. I know who I'd rather ride a chair with and take a lap with.

Sponsor

Staff online