• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mancuso & Winter Olympics

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Saw tweets from Julia Mancuso who is training in South America. Guess we shouldn't count her out yet for skiing in another Olympic year. Another question is will she be competitive enough to make the Olympic team and start list? It's been while since she raced at all let alone at her best, but she is capable of being one of the very best when she leaves the start gate.

Also saw a news report stating that France may not send a team to Korea given the current problems on the peninsula. They are evidently concerned with the safety of their athletes. I really hope things get smoothed out and the games can be carried out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't seen much about her hip issues. Anyone know how that rehab has been going?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know the PGA Tour has been watching things on the Peninsula very closely with the even they have coming up (it is not close to Seoul), and there was a day not long ago when a golf tournament cancelled play due to some of “Rocketman’s” launches

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The hip seems to be coming along... :ogcool:

But wouldn't she maybe post that even if it wasn't going so great? I mean, I saw her skiing in that movie last fall. Even when she couldn't walk straight, she could ski like a bat out of hell.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Some of us posted going back quite a while ago, to stay tuned for the marketing hype re: "Big Game Jules" during this Olympic year. To be blunt, it's a money grab for NBC, the USSA/USST, and JM. She has some big deals that run through this year. Anything that the USST feels can help their fundraising is important to them.

Remember last season? I recall people being a bit upset, and certainly irritated that some of us might suggest that she had SEVERE hip issues {not just one hip, not just a labrum} and that there was no way that she would compete. Yet we saw this season long charade of being on start lists, being pulled from them, forerunning, etc. And yes, we saw video of her "training", and skiing.

Very much like the past two weeks in Chile. These look a bit more rigorous, but impossible to know unless you were there. I think mostly photo-ops.

Julia has hip displasia, was born with it{obviously} and this is not "new news." Has always been a bit of a ticking time bomb. It's rough. Lots of problems.

Meanwhile, those close to it were quietly saying that she could not pressure either ski last season. One hip more problematic. Lots of pain. Easily exhausted. You can't ski a WC speed event with no hips. Impossible. You CAN, with her skills,forerun a SG, gently, if it's the right hill, and finish about 8 seconds behind the pace. On a clean, never skied track. And we hear that she has difficulty really even walking at times.

I would bet the farm that Julia is done, finished, cooked. I'm hearing that from people who truly know. Will this be admitted yet? Not a chance. Will she and others use her name to the max in an Olympic year? Yes.

By objective criteria, could she qualify for a start, like through time trials? Really, really doubtful. The ladies speed group is the best part of the USST. Pretty deep.

I hear the chatter that JM will eventually need major surgery. Two eventual hip replacements is one rumor that makes it's way to me. Accurate? Who knows? But regardless it's not a great situation. She's been put back together with the hope that she could ski....and she could NOT last year. Not sure of what has changed.

So then it sounds like the PR machine turned to one final push for one final Olympics.

Almost as maddening as the whole charade about Bode a year ago, and the whole "Bomber thing."

The USST doesn't report injuries like the major sports do. No PUP list. No injured reserve. Etc.
So kind of hard to know....hence the rumor mill, etc.

I will admit, I am NOT a big Julia fan. Never have been. I think she is perhaps the best female athlete to ever don a USST uniform and 17 years later, she has exactly 7 wins. A bit behind her age group peer LV, who is nowhere near the athlete but for most of those 17 years worked like a dog. Julia and the tiara crap was perfect as she has always been a bit of a princess. Let's say that MS has displayed so much more focus at a young age, as well.

Fun is a big part of Julia. Always had been. And every four years it sells.

When the hype train starts on NBC, in particular, I'll be tuning out.

Sorry to be harsh. And to @Tricia's question about rehab, lots of mixed "intel." Some say almost none, nothing to rehab, just surfing and kiteboarding with her new surfer husband at her home on Maui, or his on Fiji. However there have been a lot of sightings of her in the gym at times this summer in Truckee. Along with them questions of what she was working on. But she was working...

The best hip ski injury doc in the biz has done her various hip scopes and surgeries. Marc Phillipon in Vail. It seems like he has been very, very quiet on this over at least the past year. Don't know what that means if anything.
Might just be respect and confidentiality, but he has certainly been in the press on this issue in the past.

I don't know. I near nothing for chatter other than "she's done, her hips are cooked, this whole thing is a joke/ charade, one last big payday...."

Probably not a popular hard line for the general ski public. But that's what I hear. And hopefully it's not entirely accurate. Being forced to end it due to injury sucks...if that is indeed the case.

If she can pull it off, ski well, and qualify for the team to Korea, great. If they somehow make her a discretionary pic over somebody who is skiing well, and deserves it based on a season of work, then that is flat out wrong. And nothing new. I would hate to see that.

As you can probably tell, not an enormous fan of the Olympics. Actually prefer World Cup Finals.

None of this is fact. Just chatter that's out there in some circles. But if she is toast, we're not going to know for some time. Julia is a good asset for NBC. I think the last thing to rely on is social media with this athlete. Reminds me of ALL of last year.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have no idea about Julia Mancuso's injury status and nor do I know her precise level of natural talent compared to her peers. I can say though I admire her a great deal. Hips aside, I think I'd prefer the life she leads than the life of Lindsay Vonn (and I mean no disrespect to Lindsey Vonn in saying that, who is a peerless competitor and athlete). But I admire the way Mancuso combines ski racing with a great lifestyle, and fun. Skiing should be fun. Good on you Julia.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would bet the farm that Julia is done, finished, cooked. I'm hearing that from people who truly know. Will this be admitted yet? Not a chance. Will she and others use her name to the max in an Olympic year? Yes.
I admit I was never Jules fan. Not sure why, and it's probably related to this how I consider top athletes should be, but nowadays that's most of the time not the way they really are... or they actually should be nowadays if they want to earn some money.
But what really ticks me off is this "no I'm not done, I will be back even stronger" thing. I know this probably brings another few $, but let's try not to fool people anymore. You know you are done, so just say so and let it go. Bode lost whole bunch of my respect due this, Tina Maze never really had much respect from me, but even that little went with her "I'm will tell what will be next month, on beginning of season, on end of season, well maybe on beginning of next season, ok next year in Soelden for sure". You had your chance to earn money when you were skiing, and some did great (Bode) other's maybe not so great (Jules and Maze), but do you really really need this little extra attention to earn another $1000? Because I'm pretty sure Jules is not getting much with her "I'm training for Olympics and I will be back". People paying these deals are not so stupid as general public who has no idea about skiing, so I'm pretty sure there's noone in let's say Stoeckli who would believe Jules will be in PyeongChang, and pay her big money for this. You might fool some local company to pay some small sponsor money, but real money is off the table. At least I would say so. Or on the other hand, it's just ego thing, and it hurts not being in spotlight anymore, so you try to prolong time you are still at least somehow in spotlight. I don't know, but one thing I do know is that we won't see Jules in WC anymore. At least not as racer.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Julia who? Don't know if anyone cares, but anyhow, from a European perspective she has never been a big name. Nobody has really thought of her as a force to be reckoned with over here.
Lindsey Vonn is very respected. A Midwestern work horse, like a woman from a time when men were men, and women were too.
Miss Shifrin is the big star, so strong that she outshines our local athletes making little Austrian, Norwegian and Swedish girls wanting to be just like Mikaela – not Michaela, Nina or Frida.
A WC globe is a bigger accomplishment than an Olympic medal, in my book.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think she is perhaps the best female athlete to ever don a USST uniform and 17 years later, she has exactly 7 wins. A bit behind her age group peer LV, who is nowhere near the athlete but for most of those 17 years worked like a dog. Julia and the tiara crap was perfect as she has always been a bit of a princess. Let's say that MS has displayed so much more focus at a young age, as well.
I recall a story that (I think) you told, about a day at Loveland when LV, MS and JM all showed up to ski with a young group of racers, and it wad dumping.
LV showed up with her race skis and still went to the race course, MS showed up with her skis and skied with her group in and out of the race course, JM showed up with her "Squaw Skis" and said, lets ski powder. That is telling
[I may have gotten some of this story wrong, its been a while since I read it]

Sorry to be harsh. And to @Tricia's question about rehab, lots of mixed "intel." Some say almost none, nothing to rehab, just surfing and kiteboarding with her new surfer husband at her home on Maui, or his on Fiji. However there have been a lot of sightings of her in the gym at times this summer in Truckee. Along with them questions of what she was working on. But she was working...
I don't really have much experience as a JM race fan because she's never been on my radar as such, ironically, but I've met her around here, and I follow her and others in that world on Instagram (that's what we do here) and JM always looks like she's having fun.

As you can probably tell, not an enormous fan of the Olympics. Actually prefer World Cup Finals.
IMHO the Olympics is a shell of what it used to be and a pitiful example of what it could be. But I'll watch.

Muleski

Inactive
@Tricia, the general "drift" of that story is right. Julia Mancuso Has always loved to have fun, was known to love to ski big lines in deep snow when the opportunity presented itself. And she's not unique in that respect.
LV, not so much. This is her profession, and she is just hyper competitive. Maybe a bit more relaxed these past couple of years. Prior to that....just focused on whatever helped her win. It was pretty much a joke among even younger kids in Vail that if they had a "Ski with LV morning", if it snowed, you would not be skiing until the Gold Peak area was groomed out. And MS freeskis, or at least always has with a lot of directed purpose. Like drills, etc., which she evidently enjoys.

To me the whole situation is one that is heavily influenced by social media, PR, marketing, and all sorts of goals for various entities. Rarely is what we see on social media the "real" person. At least all of the time. I think to a large degree lately it is with MS.

Julia has always had fun. "Skiing" should be fun. However this is a serious profession as a professional athlete and as a WC skier. The USST {or any national team} only has so many resources and so much money. The USST has invested a fortune in Mancuso. At times, over the course of her long career, many people in the organization have been pretty dismayed at what they perceived as a headstrong commitment to have fun, a different work ethic, and a tendency to rely on rather than build on her tremendous natural talent.

When you realize that every dime spent on her support is a dime that could be spent in other ways, many just wonder why these athletes just do not announce that they are done.

Agree with Primoz. She has some equipment deals that run out after this season, but they pay a fraction of what they did. Performance based. However she has bigger deals with, for example, VISA. I think we'll see her in many VISA spots leading up to the Olympics and I would be amazed if she's not already under contract to do some commentary and other spots with NBC.

This cat and mouse game of the comeback must drag big numbers along. Primoz is so right talking about these drawn out retirements, etc.

Julia Mancuso was really a great skier in some Olympic events. She rose to that occasion, and capitalized on it. Can't deny that.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have no problem with her taking one final world tour pretending to be at competition level but not skiing if she's truly no longer physically able to. IIRC, Suzy Chaffee was never really a top TOP level competitor, but pretty good and very pretty. Still, she did a LOT for freestyle skiing and American skiing. If Mancuso never finishes top 10 again and ends up on the booth with Moseley next season I'm fine with that as long as she supports the new blood like Shiffren. Bring on the mainstream product endorsements and commercials.

Bode's also milking out the teasers which lead to no actual competition skiing. Power to both to cash in on what they can for a healthy retirement.

Muleski

Inactive
I have an acquaintance, now in a pretty large role on the USSA/USST board who at one time, years ago reflected a lot of the knowledge of ski racing in this country. He actually thought the only high level ski racing in the world took place at the Olympics....every four years. He knew there was other ski racing going on, but was oblivious to the World Cup.
Let's say he learned a lot and is all in!

Nobody's a fool in this game. If Julia helps sell anything to a wider audience and helps raise the funding level for the USST, we will see a lot of her. The biggest issue for the USSA/USST is not fielding competitive teams, managing athletes and staff, etc. It is increasing the revenue to operate the "business". As a non profit, a ton is good old fundraising.

Julia has mainstream appeal. Appeal and respect among those seriously interested in the sport? As @Swede suggests, world wide support? Maybe not.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Julia has always had fun. "Skiing" should be fun. However this is a serious profession as a professional athlete and as a WC skier. The USST {or any national team} only has so many resources and so much money.
I agree with you whole heartedly.
Skiing is fun, but if you're not in it to win it, then let someone who's got the drive and talent take that spot.

OTOH, Is Julia's presence creating a buzz that brings more $$ to the table? If its not enough to outweigh the $$ it takes to have here there, then its not good business or fair to an athlete who is earning the spot.

From her Instagram feed 2 days ago.
  • juliamancusoThanks for the great snow . Just finished my first camp back with @usskiteam and it's been a roller coaster! I am stoked be back on the long skis pushing myself! This injury has been a crazy ride, some day's it feels like anything is possible, and others I get really discouraged. Its a commitment to stay positive, but it's one I always choose to take on. That's the thing, we can choose to focus on what sucks or stay positive and continue to conquer each challenge with a smile. #choosepositivitynow
And the amount of KT Tape she has on makes it look like they taped her back together.
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 7.33.26 AM.png

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And the amount of KT Tape she has on makes it look like they taped her back together.
screen-shot-2017-09-25-at-7-33-26-am-png.30222

What, one thing on her shoulder (which is not the body part at issue) and one on her hip? That's a little overstated.

Muleski

Inactive
KT Tape is her headgear sponsor. She would be covered in it if she were sunbathing, IMO.

The VISA branded tape that she has been sporting on her hips and thighs when in a photo op is pretty obvious. VISA is a big sponsor of hers, of the USST, I would venture has bought a LOT of add time at the Olympics.

None of this should surprise anybody. Seriously.

Talk to people who grew up racing with her, are age group peers, skied with her in the system. The issue of her being "serious" for long blocks of time has always been questioned. Turn it up a notch when the TV is on, yep.

In my experience almost everybody who has been in the sport likes the others that that competed with and against. Not so sure here. Always been drama. Dated Nyman, dated Svindal, etc.

Primoz, for those of you who do not know, works on the WC circuit, now as a photographer. He's been in the ski side for years. Every single person who is within a sniff of the WC "knows" that she is done as a WC racer. The fact that she and our own National federation can't and won't admit it, and that this gets strung along is wrong, IMO.

This is very much like the whole Bode charade of last year. Media and social media can steer this in anyway we want, with no realism. Bode obviously was hoping to push Bomber. How dd that work out?

VISA tape? Please.

I would guess that she has a deal in place with NBC that will pay her more than she will earn from Stockli and Lange this year. We won't hear about it until just before the games, when we learn that she is unable to "race in the Olympics" and what a loss that is to the USST.

I'm beginning to think that the USST needs to take a much harder stance on injured athletes at the end of their careers. This being on the shelf and confusing the public is no good, IMO.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique so I exaggerated..., but when I first saw the picture, the first thing I noticed was the KT Tape.
KT Tape is her headgear sponsor. She would be covered in it if she were sunbathing, IMO.
Nope...and there's a picture of that too.
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.52.36 AM.png

Muleski

Inactive
@Monique so I exaggerated..., but when I first saw the picture, the first thing I noticed was the KT Tape.

Nope...and there's a picture of that too.
View attachment 30226

HaHa! Classic. That looks like a USA piece of tape. If it were VISA the whole logo would be visible!

Surprised that she could get a chair/lounge considering how many other serious athletes are in that picture.

Hmmm. Never met a camera she did not like. Not that LV is any different in that respect.

Sponsor

Staff online