• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If 20" wheels are fitted with fatter tires that actually have a sidewall, then that would mean an increase in clearance.

For me the minimum clearance for a winter vehicle is 20cm/8". This is calculated by considering that an inch/hour snowfall is pretty heavy and then relying (hoping) that the roads get plowed at least every 6 hours, then my Volvo XC70 should be good to go with no need to get out the chains. Snow drifts not with standing.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the input. We're looking at something only a weird dog person would do: Remove the second seats, creating a big middle area with a low step for the dog. The dog rides in there daily. Extra passengers are in the car maybe once a month, and can use the third row. The Sienna is usually set up like that.

It looks like the second row would come out, rails and all with just a few big bolts. The dealer said they have not done that yet but looks reasonable. Probably want the full split- bench second seats rather than the captains cars. Any thoughts on that?

Would the 20" wheels be better than the 18"?

I got mine early so captains chairs weren't available yet. I think I'd get them now, but if you will take it out anyway skip the extra expense.

I have 18" wheels and haven't driven with the 20s. It's pretty firm ride for an SUV, compared to Pilot or something like that. Think only the CX9 has a "sportier" ride. 20's will make you feel all the bumps easier, but I do like the look of the black wheels ...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like the second row would come out, rails and all with just a few big bolts. The dealer said they have not done that yet but looks reasonable. Probably want the full split- bench second seats rather than the captains cars. Any thoughts on that?

The "left behind" seat tracks on the recent version Sienna are annoying, but not quite a deal killer. Still, they didn't need them in the old one, so did those engineers retire? Disappointing from Toyota, who, in the Rav4, has the most elegantly engineered folding rear seat known to man.

I don't THINK the AWD Sienna is available with a bench second seat. It certainly is not available with a spare tire, since the van is designed for it to reside right where the AWD transfer mechanism is located. Two cans of Flat-In-A-Can and a AAA card. So far, so good. Or you could stick with the horrid run flats, but then no winter Hakka option.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, we're getting some bids from a few dealers on an Atlas. With a new , low availability car do we have much room to ask any price cuts, or are we pretty much stuck with full retail?

Do they have money sitting around for 0% financing, or can we get something knocked off paying cash?

Any of the dealer crap to look out for, such as charging us extra for them to drill holes on the car and attaching their dealer advertising to the car?

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, we're getting some bids from a few dealers on an Atlas. With a new , low availability car do we have much room to ask any price cuts, or are we pretty much stuck with full retail?

Do they have money sitting around for 0% financing, or can we get something knocked off paying cash?

Any of the dealer crap to look out for, such as charging us extra for them to drill holes on the car and attaching their dealer advertising to the car?

I got about $2k off in June so you shouldn't expect to pay full MSRP. Some prices paid listed here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8684474-2018-VW-Atlas-Prices-Paid

They were offering 1.9% when I bought and the price I paid was contingent on taking that financing. Turns out they used the same bank that I wanted to get the loan from anyway. Dealer add-on bs ... depends on your dealer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I wouldnt mind one of these... :D (3.6L H6 and loaded please)

outback_lift_kit_mpc_3_small_grande.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I had good luck checking out TrueCar, dealers in the Bay area were 2K less than here in Reno and the dealer fees were also better. If you are willing to travel a bit...check some other areas out.

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
We hate buying cars, and I'm afraid it is time for a new one. We dragged ourselves out to look at some today. We have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma and a 2004 Sienna AWD. We are used to driving crappy older cars, but I guess I can justify finally getting a nice one.

My grandfather was a shrewd Swedish immigrant, and in 1954, he invested $5000 in a New York office building. It was merged into a REIT last year, and my $833.33 share of the original investment brought me a windfall of $60,000. I have been thinking about going off to Sweden on the Volvo direct purchase deal, visiting the area my grandparents were born, and bringing back an XC 60 or XC 90 in his honor.

Before we do that, I'm going to look at other options, and thought I'd ask for some opinions from experts like Phil. Actually, everyone reading this thread knows more about cars than me.

We got the Sienna when we were in Canada and needed a bear proof camp site. We wouldn't mind something a bit smaller, but need good rear AC for the enormous panting dog in the back. One other reason we got the Sienna was the Newfy roasted in the back of a Subaru while we had down parkas across our laps, AC full blast trying to get some air back there.

We totally grossed out the BMW sales lady today when we started in the back, looking at the dog comfort. (in the end, the horrible run-flat tires with no spare nixed the BMW)

So, what should I look at, for a capable SUV or crossover, good dog and ski rig? What do you all think of the current Volvos?

Despite my post above..... We picked up a new Nissan Murano Platinum in Jan 2016 with our Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog) Drake in mind,.... His travel crate basically lives in the back of the car with the larger of the splitfold rear seats folded down almost permanently and his crate is right behind the front passenger seat. Works really well for touring.

:)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I already have a spill proof water dish and use a pump up 1 gallon garden sprayer for hosing off my dog and then towel dry. My dog doesn't need a ramp.

The two-way dog camera....they got me on that one.:hail:

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
We bought two used Volvos. Mine's a 2015.5 v60 FWD wagon, and my wife has a 2012 XC60 R-Design Polestar AWD. Plenty of room for our Golden Retriever in either vehicle. I was sold once I sat down. Those seats are amazing, even after four hours non-stop. No digital dashes, all the discrete buttons speak to the pilot/engineer in me. Rear AC vents are on the door pillars and above the seatbacks in the up position. Radar cruise control kicks ass during the time we drove for five hours in the snow from N* to Roseville last winter. Really reduces your workload. Road bike fits without removing wheels. Not so much for the 29er.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My dog doesn't need a ramp.

Yet.

My dogs are 9 and 6, both about 60 lbs. They are still extremely active, but on the other hand they had no idea what to do when I pointed them at the back of my friend's Land Cruiser the other day. No problem jumping down, of course. But one day they're going to be old and arthritic.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We bought two used Volvos. Mine's a 2015.5 v60 FWD wagon, and my wife has a 2012 XC60 R-Design Polestar AWD. Plenty of room for our Golden Retriever in either vehicle. I was sold once I sat down. Those seats are amazing, even after four hours non-stop. No digital dashes, all the discrete buttons speak to the pilot/engineer in me. Rear AC vents are on the door pillars and above the seatbacks in the up position. Radar cruise control kicks ass during the time we drove for five hours in the snow from N* to Roseville last winter. Really reduces your workload. Road bike fits without removing wheels. Not so much for the 29er.

i bought a 06 XC70 a couple of of years ago and I agree about the ordinary looking but amazingly comfortable seats. The seat frame in my 93 Toyota MR2 broke a few months ago and I got it welded back together. I probably should have gone to a Volvo wrecking yard instead.:doh:

Yet.

My dogs are 9 and 6, both about 60 lbs. They are still extremely active, but on the other hand they had no idea what to do when I pointed them at the back of my friend's Land Cruiser the other day. No problem jumping down, of course. But one day they're going to be old and arthritic.

My dog is 7 and 15lbs, so she might one day get me to pick her up but no ramp needed.:)

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, the saga is winding down. We have a new Volkswagen Atlas on the way. The dog will be upset that it it smells like a new car rather than a wet mangy dog, but she will fix that soon.

Thanks for the advice and info on pricing. I brought the sales data from this forum to the dealer and finally wrung the last discount out of them. We were walking out the door when they offered to drive the car from Portland themselves to discount the delivery fee.

I donated some of the savings to the Pugski forum.

PS: for sale, 2004 Sienna AWD, 160,000 miles, good studded snow tires, oil leak, recurrent brake issues, smells like wet mangy dog.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Score!!
Nice choice.
The girl Newf will love it.
Mrs.Mule came home yesterday, and asked if I had ever seen an Atlas. She parked next to one, and hopefully did not leave too many handprints on it!

The Sienna will be a great vehicle for the right buyer. Young family upgrading from a 275K 1998 Outback....with a dog{s}!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Same! Mine is a 13 XC60 R-Design. Fun, fast and practical. When I figured out the road bike fit without removing the front wheel, I was stoked. Fun fact: If you remove your seatpost (I'm not a dropper guy) and front wheel on your 29er, you can back it into the car upright, compress the front suspension a tad, and the nice, soft foam grips will nestle gently onto the rear tailgate trim piece (not the right term, obviously). I've driven 2,500 mile road trips this way. So stable, and leaves tons of room and each sid for luggage.

PS: for sale, 2004 Sienna AWD, 160,000 miles, good studded snow tires, oil leak, recurrent brake issues, smells like wet mangy dog.

Toyota just can't get this right on the Siena. Ours is a 2012 with 60,000. Recently, the dealer and I went to the mat with Toyota over the thrice-warped front brakes. They finally have a fix, but it was like pulling teeth for them to agree to pay for it, even though our first warping issue was at 20k miles.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
OK, the saga is winding down. We have a new Volkswagen Atlas on the way. The dog will be upset that it it smells like a new car rather than a wet mangy dog, but she will fix that soon.

Thanks for the advice and info on pricing. I brought the sales data from this forum to the dealer and finally wrung the last discount out of them. We were walking out the door when they offered to drive the car from Portland themselves to discount the delivery fee.

I donated some of the savings to the Pugski forum.

Congrats! What trim/colors did you get?

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're getting the SEL, still not sure about the color, because they are going to swap with a dealer in the Portland area, but we didn't want the black interior, so that leaves us with the white or silver. Should be lined up this week.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January