• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've my own opinions, but I've never skied either. Most of my bindings are Rossi and Atomic. I'm deciding on what to mount on a set of Renoun 98's. I like the elasticity and low profile of the Pivot. I like the wide stable platform of the Attack. I'm curious as to what others think of these two bindings..... :popcorn:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've my own opinions, but I've never skied either. Most of my bindings are Rossi and Atomic. I'm deciding on what to mount on a set of Renoun 98's. I like the elasticity and low profile of the Pivot. I like the wide stable platform of the Attack. I'm curious as to what others think of these two bindings..... :popcorn:
Well if you have been running Rossi bindings, you have been running Looks, they are the same thing separated by color and logos. I don't think you will find anyone here to have a legitimate concern with either of these bindings.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Pivots- lots of flex, do better if you use a lot of rotary. I don't like em for railing, loaded up turns & the direct mount of the heel leads to pounding on the body. I've moved on.

Attack- solid, like the secure clamp in. Consistent release. Works well with the load em & rail tactics.

STH2- my leading choice at the moment. Classic design & the WTR compatible (if I ever get there). The selling point for me is the rubberized layer in the lifts & the manual toe/wing adjustability. Pairs well with the Renouns & let's me 'set em'. Also ski well smearing / pivoty style.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well if you have been running Rossi bindings, you have been running Looks, they are the same thing separated by color and logos. I don't think you will find anyone here to have a legitimate concern with either of these bindings.

I'm aware they're the same. I don't have any FKS style bindings though. Mine are all axial, axiom, and xeliums. I guess I'm more interested in the opinions regarding the pivot/fks style of binding as it's not a style of binding I've any experience on.

Last edited:
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pivots- lots of flex, do better if you use a lot of rotary. I don't like em for railing, loaded up turns & the direct mount of the heel leads to pounding on the body. I've moved on.

Attack- solid, like the secure clamp in. Consistent release. Works well with the load em & rail tactics.

STH2- my leading choice at the moment. Classic design & the WTR compatible (if I ever get there). The selling point for me is the rubberized layer in the lifts & the manual toe/wing adjustability. Pairs well with the Renouns & let's me 'set em'. Also ski well smearing / pivoty style.

Ah yes, the STH-2 is another binding I've looked at as well. Thank you for your input.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eenie-Meanie-Minie-Moe. You are talking about my three favorite bindings, Pivot's, Sth's, Attacks.
  • Look Pivot 12 & 14 Dual-
    • Stand Height: 18.5mm
    • Weight: 2290gr
    • Pluses: Shortest mount distance, lowest rotation weight, most elasticity in the heel. Easiest Switching from WTR to DIN and back. 180* release toe
    • Minuses: Very little range of adjustment, quirky to get into sometimes, low brakes can get caught landing switch. Most expensive
  • Salomon/Atomic Sth2 13-
    • Stand Height: 18.4mm
    • Weight: 2200gr
    • Pluses: Most elasticity in the toe, holds you in from the top of the boot, a part that gets no wear. Micro wing adjustments and toe height for sold power transmission. 25mm+ adjustment range.
    • Minuses: WTR design changes delta angle.
  • Tyrolia Attack 13 GW-
    • Stand Height: 17mm
    • Weight: 2070gr
    • Pluses: Lateral spring toe is compact and fast return to center. Least expensive.
    • Minuses: Not WTR compatible.
  • Marker Griffon ID-
    • Stand Height: 22mm
    • Weight: 2040gr
    • Pluses: Lightest actual weight, lateral spring, fast return to center. No adjustment needed to switch to GripWalk
    • Minuses: Tallest stand height. Tough to get into in some conditions.

*Weights are published averages...depending on brakes width, which could vary 10-15 grams.

Last edited:
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eenie-Meanie-Minie-Moe. You are talking about my three favorite bindings, Pivot's, Sth's, Attacks.
  • Pivot-
    • Plus: Shortest mount distance, lowest rotation weight, most elasticity in the heel, low stack height. Easiest Switching from WTR to DIN
    • Minus: Very little range of adjustment, quirky to get into sometimes, low brakes can get caught landing switch. Most expensive
  • Sth2-
    • Plus: Most elasticity in the toe, holds you in from the top of the boot, a part that gets no wear. Micro boot adjustments,. 25mm+ adjustment range
    • Minus: WTR design changes delta angle.
  • Attack 13-
    • Plus: Lateral spring toe is compact and fast return to center. Least expensive
    • Minus: Higher stack height for this season. GripWalk compatible, not WTR compatible.
Great info. I don't do walk to ride or skin (yet anyway). If I do land switch it was most certainly not intentional LOL.... So is the delta on the STH-2 enough to shim?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great info. I don't do walk to ride or skin (yet anyway). If I do land switch it was most certainly not intentional LOL.... So is the delta on the STH-2 enough to shim?
If you are not going to use a WTR lugged boot, shimming is not needed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stand height, weight and Marker Griffon ID added.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Started as a Look guy 50 years ago but now on a Tyrolia for the past 30 years. Just like the rest, I think you can not go wrong with either one. My new bindings (one season old) say Head but they are just Tyrolia with a different name on the outside.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, to take this one step further......

The ski it will be mounted to is a Renoun Endurance 98 and the expectation is to spend 70% of the time in the soft stuff and 30% of the time on piste would that lean you more towards a particular binding out of the list we have assembled thus far? If so, which one and why?

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
So, to take this one step further......

The ski it will be mounted to is a Renoun Endurance 98 and the expectation is to spend 70% of the time in the soft stuff and 30% of the time on piste would that lean you more towards a particular binding out of the list we have assembled thus far? If so, which one and why?

The hallmark of the Renouns is the ability to dampen at high speed & make crud snow feel like corduroy.

Because I'll be making long/loaded non-stop top to bottom superG turns on my lengthy Custom Renouns (that are based off the endurance 104), I'm 99% certain to run the STH2 for the rubber dampening lifter that should pair really well.

If I was skiing em in a short length & in the trees, I may chose differently.

YMMV. :)

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
@PisteOff what size & style turn to you see yourself making?

Will you be in the trees?

What length are you skiing?

Mounting?

FWIW, I'm going -1cm for longer turns; at my lighter weight, this should let me run over school busses & small boulders whilst keeping my tips up.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff what size & style turn to you see yourself making?

Will you be in the trees?

What length are you skiing?

Mounting?

FWIW, I'm going -1cm for longer turns; at my lighter weight, this should let me run over school busses & small boulders whilst keeping my tips up.

Yes, I will be in trees but not heavily treed glades. I like to have a little room. I'm buying the 184. Probably a neutral mount. Most of my race boards are forward. My other skis are all neutral. When I am on piste I am usually skiing GS/SG style turns and speeds. (depending on congestion of course) In the soft stuff I like to play, mix it up, may float it, may charge it, may hunt out some air..... I've a lot of on piste skis. I'm buying this ski for off piste. Basically I bought a pair of Soul 7's a couple years ago and was highly disappointed in how they performed on piste, in crud, at any real speed. This is to be my all mountain cruiser. If we get a couple feet of snow I have the Souls. I want a ski that can run the whole mountain competently and that is what I am looking at this ski to do.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Yes, I will be in trees but not heavily treed glades. I like to have a little room. I'm buying the 184. Probably a neutral mount. Most of my race boards are forward. My other skis are all neutral. When I am on piste I am usually skiing GS/SG style turns and speeds. (depending on congestion of course) In the soft stuff I like to play, mix it up, may float it, may charge it, may hunt out some air..... I've a lot of on piste skis. I'm buying this ski for off piste. Basically I bought a pair of Soul 7's a couple years ago and was highly disappointed in how they performed on piste, in crud, at any real speed. This is to be my all mountain cruiser. If we get a couple feet of snow I have the Souls. I want a ski that can run the whole mountain competently and that is what I am looking at this ski to do.

I think you just ruled out pivots.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you just ruled out pivots.

That's pretty much the way I am leaning. I'm between the STH and the Attack now.... I had looked at putting FKS bindings on my Souls but based on their performance out of the soft stuff I didn't feel like putting another 300 into that set of boards. Another set of powder boards at 112 are on my radar......they may get some Pivots/FKS. We'll see. Thanks for all of your input Brian. It is conversations like these that really make me appreciate this site and the people here. :beercheer:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And it's conversations like this that help those of us who are new to the sport become more knowledgeable about the equipment we use and why!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January