• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I almost bought the smaller Snow Eagle one while at A Racer's Edge earlier this week. They both look nice but I haven't used either so I'm curious what it was about he Kulkea that sold you. I'm taking my daughter's boots there next week so I'll probably walk out with one of them.

I had fondled the Snow Eagle earlier, but ever since I started hearing about Kulkea bags a couple of years ago, I have appreciated all of the pockets and thoughtfulness of design. The Snow Eagle is also new branding for I believe Hot Gear, and that seems to have gone through a lot of different brand names and also I felt like they had some issues with dying mysteriously. And last and least, I do like the orange accents ...

I don't know how many they have in inventory. If you're truly interested, you might call and check.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I had fondled the Snow Eagle earlier, but ever since I started hearing about Kulkea bags a couple of years ago, I have appreciated all of the pockets and thoughtfulness of design. The Snow Eagle is also new branding for I believe Hot Gear, and that seems to have gone through a lot of different brand names and also I felt like they had some issues with dying mysteriously. And last and least, I do like the orange accents ...

I don't know how many they have in inventory. If you're truly interested, you might call and check.

We love orange accents too! Thermal Trekkers are hot in the streets(and lodges)!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While at SIA we were able to talk to @KULKEA quite a bit and did a short video, highlighting some of the features of this bag.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And the low, medium, high switch on the Kulkea only determines how fast the bag gets up to temperature. The high temperature is the same whichever level you choose.
We just got our Thermal Trekkers today. I remembered some questions about the settings so here's a photo of the directions that explain the recommended use for each setting. As mentioned, the temp is 140°F.
20181009_193939.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Since 8hrs of heating is the max for heat, I'm thinking a timer is in my future. Set it to come on at midnight or 1am and have warm, toasty boots by 8am without "breaking the rules".

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
We just got our Thermal Trekkers today. I remembered some questions about the settings so here's a photo of the directions that explain the recommended use for each setting. As mentioned, too temp is 140°F.
View attachment 55363
Have anybody's goggle lenses warped using this bag? Mine did with the Athalon so wondering if the design reduces or eliminates the risk for this one.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have anybody's goggle lenses warped using this bag? Mine did with the Athalon so wondering if the design reduces or eliminates the risk for this one.
Kulkea recommends removing items that may be sensitive to heat, such as googles, helmets, and leather, during the plug-in. I'm guessing that a bit during the car ride won't hurt. They also note "Never apply to a helpless person or infant". :doh:

@Philpug, @Tricia, or @Drahtguy Kevin can chime in with real world experience.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
also note "Never apply to a helpless person or infant". :doh:

Good warning notice. So application to a regular normal person is acceptable? :D

But it's so much more work stuffing a person in the bag without trussing them up first. :cool:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good warning notice. So application to a regular normal person is acceptable? :D

But it's so much more work stuffing a person in the bag without trussing them up first. :cool:
Actually, there's another warning that says "Not for use on humans". Seems like @KULKEA covered all the bases!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They also note "Never apply to a helpless person or infant". :doh:

I suspect this is required by law. It's on all heating pads (including for pets, with relevant modification), electric blankets, etc. What feels like mild heat at first can become painful over time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sounds like experience talking.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Will this dry your boots out without removing the bladders from the boots? I find when skiing back to back days if I don't pull the liners the boots don't dry. Also how long is the cable for the plug into the car outlet? If the bag is in the back of a SUV can it reach an outlet to plug into if it is a long ride?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Will this dry your boots out without removing the bladders from the boots? I find when skiing back to back days if I don't pull the liners the boots don't dry. Also how long is the cable for the plug into the car outlet? If the bag is in the back of a SUV can it reach an outlet to plug into if it is a long ride?
The 12v cord is almost 6' and the 120v cord is almost 7'. Others will be able to answer the "will it dry the boots" question. (@Philpug, @Tricia?) My thought is yes but Kulkea does recommend a max of 8 hours on the low setting. I've yet to try the drying aspect of the bag but will likely just put the boots on my regular boot dryer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The heated bag does dry boots out if they're not super wet. I experienced some dampness in my boots this spring when I skied in leggings, in slushy snow and got really wet inside. In those cases, I actually feel like I need to pull my liners out and really get things dried out.

TrickySr.

Booting up
Skier
I have had my heated bag,Hot Gear, for nigh on to 10 years and have had very good luck with it. I have been able to dry my boots overnight(along with wet hat, gloves,googles,etc.) thoroughly, even when sloppy wet. It will dry (under general conditions) overnight, on the low setting. I have never had a problem with my goggles or anything else melting, even on higher settings. I have really enjoyed my heated bag. One of the very best items I have ever bought for skiing!!!

Problems: 1 broken zipper (fixed with a zip tie) ; replaced(on warranty, long ago) the heating element; that's about it. {Some of these troubles may have been caused by forcing the bag into my locker at the mountain( a very tight fit.)}

I do like the positioning of the boots on the outsides of the Kulkea bag but that does make for a larger sized bag. Other features appear to be handy( although some are marketing) but arguably may or may not be necessary. i.e. I put my goggles in a protective bag.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
got my daughter the speed star ow whatever the kids model is a couple weeks ago for xmas and the wife look at the bag and look at her 8 year old hotgear bag and say I might need a new bag... so just got the thermal trekker again from skiessentials! excited to have my wife back on skis after 2 kids in the last 3 years :) so must make sure she has what she wants :)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One nice thing I learned about the Thermal Trekker is my boots stayed pretty warm during the 3+ hour ride to Mammoth from Reno without plugging them in in the car. I unplugged them just before we left. So for short trips the car heater isn't really necessary but it is nice.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After my broken foot this summer, I’m having some feet issues this winter.....so after reading all your positive reviews and a nice reply from @KULKEA.......I jumped on the heated boot bag train.....I just ordered my Thermal Trekker...and am looking forward to getting my feet a little more comfortable into a heated boot.

Here’s to happy feet...:beercheer:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
My only complaint about mine is it's a spiffy looking bag and I throw my stuff in a corner of any lodge anywhere I ski. Thinking about taking some black spray paint and making it look old and ratty so it's not as distinctive and spiffy.

Sponsor