• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Review: Head Raptor 140 RS

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
We can ship you some. It's only money. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does the heel maintain a solid base or is there wobble/mush from the rubber?
No mush..but much better for walking. Even better is if you go with Gripwalk but there are limits with the bindings that you can use.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I did this for boot packing... There are a few things I have to climb and moments where it can be slick in regular lifters. I need a DIN sole for freeflex bindings and one old pair of fat skis mounted with a Pivot.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Does the heel maintain a solid base or is there wobble/mush from the rubber?
You should store them upside down in the living room - they look good. Maybe leave the stinky liners elsewhere.

My liners smell like roses! I might fart a lot, but my feet don't smell. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, so those are compatible with any binding, correct?
I want some.
Yes they are. But because you are adding about 5mm to the bottom of the lug, the toe lugs will need to be routed to remove the same amount from the top. Head offers these as option, they originally were the soles for the Head Raptor Overkill but skiers saw that they would be a good option for solid lugged boots. There are others out there too, the Nordica & Tecnica soles also work.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I've used the Nordica 5mm lifters in the past. They have a bit of 'tread' and worked fairly well. I've also used both Head and Lange 3mm flat lifters. You don't need skis with those things. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've used the Nordica 5mm lifters in the past. They have a bit of 'tread' and worked fairly well. I've also used both Head and Lange 3mm flat lifters. You don't need skis with those things. ogsmile
Yeah, these are scary...
SVST_Riser_Plates_Flat__69367.1453502650.jpg

Another tip for anyone that will be adding replaceable soles...If you plan on keeping the boots for a while...buy an extra set of soles to have for replacement down the road.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, I don't want to cut the boot b/c by the end of December I'll be skiing great. I was just hoping to ease into the season with something a little softer I guess.

Bill

You'll be fine! We had an interesting talk with a gentleman who does a lot of WC boots including product development for Lange and now Salomon. One thing that was really interesting was the work and thinking they're starting to do to keep the athletes' feet warm (which suggests that for the rest of us, boot heaters aren't just silly old people throwing money away accessories). Warm feet are stronger, more mobile feet. I wonder if they might help in your situation.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes they are. But because you are adding about 5mm to the bottom of the lug, the toe lugs will need to be routed to remove the same amount from the top. Head offers these as option, they originally were the soles for the Head Raptor Overkill but skiers saw that they would be a good option for solid lugged boots. There are others out there too, the Nordica & Tecnica soles also work.
I put the vibram lugs on my new B3 RD's too. My helmet was predominately for trying to walk around in my old red RD's with 5mm lifters.........DANGEROUS!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Grassy ass. I'm sure I have a connection to get my hands on some ogwink and get them installed properly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Another tip for anyone that will be adding replaceable soles...If you plan on keeping the boots for a while...buy an extra set of soles to have for replacement down the road.
Yes it certainly is weird how plates just disappear from being available. Maybe the screw pattern stays the same, maybe not. I had vibram soles years ago. Then PJ didn't have them. A few different plastic ones since. Each different.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The Head vibrams have been around awhile. Head still has plenty. Your local dealer shouldn't have any issues getting some. They'll work on any solid block boot soles.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK..I found the shortcomings of the Raptor...they are NOT a parking lot boot. These do not want to come off when they are cold. It just ain't happening. I will have to pack accordingly with a power invertor in the car along with either a hair dryer or heat gun either that or sit in the car for 5-10 minutes with the heat on to let the shells warm up when I am parking in the upper lot at Rose. Otherwise, I will be parking and booting up on the Slide side.

After having a dozen or so days in the boots, I am just loving the stance. I am not sure when I have felt more natually stacked in a boot.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup hard to pry open when cold. Have to be civilized and gear down the lodge after, or learn to drive with boots on (not recommend).

Also very thin liner and hard Zeppa make it a bit jarring on the feet when landing on a pitch that is less steep than it should be (e.g. flatter landing or overshooting the landing zone).

Also for me, boot heaters are mandatory for this boot, it’s also NOT the boot to wear when working a course or when you need to stand around on the hill for a while.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also for me, boot heaters are mandatory for this boot, it’s also NOT the boot to wear when working a course or when you need to stand around on the hill for a while.
I am running Thermic IC1200's and they are indeed a must.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
OK..I found the shortcomings of the Raptor...they are NOT a parking lot boot. These do not want to come off when they are cold. It just ain't happening. I will have to pack accordingly with a power invertor in the car along with either a hair dryer or heat gun either that or sit in the car for 5-10 minutes with the heat on to let the shells warm up when I am parking in the upper lot at Rose. Otherwise, I will be parking and booting up on the Slide side.

After having a dozen or so days in the boots, I am just loving the stance. I am not sure when I have felt more natually stacked in a boot.

You didn't listen last spring when you installed the Vibram Soles on my raptors and asked how I liked the boots. I said, among other things, that they're the best boot I have ever used, but a total bitch, almost impossible, to take off when cold - I have scarped skin patches off the top of my instep several times if I'm not careful - painful. Still wouldn't trade them for anything else, they are a fantastic fit for my skinny feet and have phenomenal performance.

Sponsor

Staff online