• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: Atomic HAWX ULTRA 130

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic HAWX ULTRA 130
Last: variable
Size tested: 28.5 (320mm BSL)
Design: Carryover

Background/Stats:
6'2", 250lbs w/gear, measure 13.5/14 shoe size, 11/10ths skier, ski the entire spectrum of terrain and conditions (with the exception of moguls; I will go out of my way to not ski moguls).
I have been in several Atomic boots over the past five seasons, starting with the first year Redster Pro 130 (29.5). That boot fit me better and skied better than any other I had been in before, and after the addition of a Nordica foam liner, I thought I would never want to ski anything else. One day (a very short day) of backcountry skiing in that setup ended my relationship with that boot. From there I moved to an Atomic (starting to see a pattern?) Waymaker 130 (28.5) with an Intuition Gold tongue liner, and that was the perfect blend of performance and versatility. That lasted for about 450 days, and at the end of last season I was "forced" into a Dalbello Pantera 120 (28.5) as the Waymaker finally gave out. I could never get the Pantera to fit properly, and although the walk mode in that boot was great, it wasn't worth the weight and poor fit for my foot.

I'll start off with the Memory Fit. I had never been in a fully heat moldable shell before, and didn't think it was everything my bootfitter friends said it was. I don't have an outrageously weird shaped foot, in fact its pretty normal aside from having a slightly narrower heel and slightly high arch. The heel has been my Achilles... heel, for years, as its just narrow enough that if a boot is sized for my forefoot, it packs out too much in the heel and I get significant lift. Not fun at 50ph in crud. Since I know exactly where I typically need work on my boots, @Philpug and I didnt spend much time assessing where we would need to pad my foot for the molding process. What we did do was pad the outside of the liner instead of my foot to get a little extra room.
Once the shell and liner are heated and your in the boot, it starts off feeling kind of cozy and quickly progresses to feeling like a steam roller that got blow torched is rolling over your foot. I'm not sure if Phil let me sit in them for longer than normal just to give me a little extra torture, but it took about 35 minutes to complete. By the end, I was ready to hurt somebody due to the feeling in my feet (I never actually lost feeling, so I guess thats a good thing?). After 10 minutes of letting my feet cool down and return to its normal color (they were bright red and white when they were removed from the boots), I put the boots back on. Any doubts I had about MemoryFit (and CustomFit, Salomons equivalent), were completely destroyed in that moment. I had never felt that comfortable yet locked into a ski boot without ever having skied it. I had to take them off and put them back on to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Lets just say, I am now a complete believer in MemoryFit.

The first few days I "skied" the Hawx we're work days with lower level students. During morning line up, the first thing I noticed was the lack of a walk mode. I had become so used to being able to unlock the cuff and have significant range of motion in my ankle when walking/hiking, and this year working with lower level students, that I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to work in the new boot. After a few days though, I got used to it and now I don't really notice it while I'm working.

When I finally got a chance to freeski them, right off the bat (before even getting onto the lift), I was blown away with how light these boots are. Granted, I'm coming from a Pantera, which is one of the heavier(est?) boots on the market, so the difference from what I was used to was huge. Nonetheless, a boot that skis this well shouldn't be this light. Lets talk about how well it skis. The response you get out of the boot is insane. It was almost too responsive after being used to the sluggish, (relatively) soft Pantera. It only took 6-7 turns to figure out that I could dial back the intensity of my skiing and still get a ton of performance out of the boot. The next thing I noticed was how much I could feel through the boot. Changes in the snow, mini chicken heads, ruts, divots; the tactile feedback from this boot is unreal. It took me a little while to get used to, but now that I am I LOVE it.

One drawback that I and others have noticed is that the toe dam does not properly seal out water. My toes get wet pretty quickly in pretty much all conditions. Something else worth noting is while the liner hasn't packed out hardly at all, it doesn't feel very substantial. I think a Boot Doc foam liner might be in my future after hearing how much @Philpug and @SBrown like theirs.

I will continue to update this thread as I ski it more, and as we go into warmer weather. One thing I am a little apprehensive about is spring/summer patch skiing in this boot, as the lack of a walk mode makes anything more than parking lot > lift walks mildly unpleasant.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Also worth noting; I've skied them in a pretty big temperature range, and they feel just as stiff at 40f as they do at 20f. Maybe its the white plastic, maybe its some Austrian juju, but whatever it is it works.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the review, Dory. I'm in the same boots giving up 4" and 70 lbs to you, and I'm really liking the lightness and responsiveness as well.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Skied in 40+ temps today, still just a stiff and responsive. My toes did get pretty damp, but not as bad as I was expecting.
Last week I was in Washington where (surprise) it rained, a lot. Forefoot got pretty soaked. Still stayed warm enough to keep skiing though.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have the Atomic Hawk Ultra 130 boots as well and love them! I have heard of other people with the water leaking issue online but I don't have that problem with mine at all. I have noticed that the overlap flap on the bottom 2 buckles of the boot can be fairly open to allow snow in unless those two buckles are somewhat tight which mine are. Some have said this may be the issue to the leaking, while others have had their leaky boots swapped out for new ones with mixed results. I'm sure Atomic knows of the problem and hopefully there is a solution coming for those with this issue.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have the Atomic Hawk Ultra 130 boots as well and love them! I have heard of other people with the water leaking issue online but I don't have that problem with mine at all. I have noticed that the overlap flap on the bottom 2 buckles of the boot can be fairly open to allow snow in unless those two buckles are somewhat tight which mine are. Some have said this may be the issue to the leaking, while others have had their leaky boots swapped out for new ones with mixed results. I'm sure Atomic knows of the problem and hopefully there is a solution coming for those with this issue.
It sounded like they are aware of it and are looking into solutions.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just grabbed some Hawx Ultra 110 in 27.5 today
For my feet, they fit very well without any heat molding. I will save the heat process for next fall.
In hand, they do feel light. I will give them a go tomorrow, which may be my last day of local skiing.

Of note, my previous several boots ( Lange RX's & K2 Spyne ) that were 27.5 had 316 BSL.
The Hawx Ultra 110 27.5 is 310 BSL. Fortunately I have demo-bindings on all my skis.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • First runs on frozen groomer corduroy and I was surprised how much rattling I could feel through the boot. I wouldn't want to spend hours in these boots on such conditions. After a half hour the snow softened a bit and all good.
My Hawx Ultra 110 do feel softer flex than my K2 Spyne 110. I was after a bit softer flex, so a good thing. I think the Hawx are warmer too.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
My Hawx Ultra 110 do feel softer flex than my K2 Spyne 110. I was after a bit softer flex, so a good thing. I think the Hawx are warmer too.

Any chance that you tried on the Hawx Prime 110 for comparison? Wondering how much of a difference there is in the heel pocket, height over arch and toebox. Recently tried several boots and found the Hawx Prime 110 and Head Vector Evo 110 were the best out-of-box lasts for me of those I tried. Other than toebox room, wondering how much difference there is between the Prime and Ultra 110.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never tried the Prime. I wasn't even planning on new boots just yet, but visited a shop, tried some on for fun, the Ultra 110 fit so good and was on sale, and pulled the trigger. I skied 4.5 hours yesterday in them and overall very happy -> great fit & support out of the box, a bit softer flex, and comfy warm liners. I don't think I even need to get them heat molded.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I stuck my foot in the prime 130 and the heel pocket was tight compared to the rest of the boot. The prime is the medium volume.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Switched them to the more upright (13 deg) forward lean position as my knees were out past my toes. At the same time I moved my Booster straps over from the Panteras and WOW, what a difference.Even more instantaneous power.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a fitting appointment this weekend and will be looking at Ultra 120 or 130's as options to replace my Vacuums. I've read a few comments about the Hawx line having great heel hold. Is that typically true? Better heel hold is the biggest reason why I want to move on from my current boots, along with warmth.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid