• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Kind of a follow up to an Epic thread. I "sold" my 1998 Audi A4 Avant to a neighbor for his daughter. Both of us felt we got a great deal. He got it for free and I felt like I didn't have to fix a whole lotta stuff and get it detailed to make it "saleable". He also got free snows and a free wheel and other goodies that went with it. Now I just have to empty the garage of all the other tires it had over the years.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kind of a follow up to an Epic thread. I "sold" my 1998 Audi A4 Avant to a neighbor for his daughter. Both of us felt we got a great deal. He got it for free and I felt like I didn't have to fix a whole lotta stuff and get it detailed to make it "saleable". He also got free snows and a free wheel and other goodies that went with it. Not I just have to empty the garage of all the other tires it has over the years.
Sounds like he is getting his moneys worth.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Got a question for all you Alltrack owners.

The factory tire on Cube's VW is the Falken Sincera SN 250 AA/S. It's a Grand Touring / All Season tire. I've never heard of the brand and while I think the "All Season" rating may work here in central KY, I'm not sure if it's up to any significant snow.

Has anybody run the car with these tire on them in 8" plus snow ?

If so, how'd they do ?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Falken makes one of the greatest Miata performance tires in the Azenis, it has a huge following. IMHO no "All season" should be expected to be anything but survivable in 8" of snow. I did have these up at Mt. Rose earlier this week in 4" of muck (I haven't put the winter tires on yet) and they were fine...not bad, not great but exceptionally almost acceptable.

Uncle Louie

Skier
Falken makes one of the greatest Miata performance tires in the Azenis, it has a huge following. IMHO no "All season" should be expected to be anything but survivable in 8" of snow. I did have these up at Mt. Rose earlier this week in 4" of muck (I haven't put the winter tires on yet) and they were fine...not bad, not great but exceptionally almost acceptable.

That's about what I figured. When you put your snows on did you stick with the 17" tire or switch to the 18" tires ?

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone have any experience with the OEM or Aftermarket cross bars? Picking up a new 2017 Alltrak S tomorrow and looking for a way to put a box on top.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone have any experience with the OEM or Aftermarket cross bars? Picking up a new 2017 Alltrak S tomorrow and looking for a way to put a box on top.
I have aftermarket Yakima ones and am very happy.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same as Phil.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WOW!!!!
39177182171_ab0d818243_z.jpg

Almost $10K off. Day-um

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Sh*t! I'll buy another one at that price!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Holy crap, that must be because of the big improvement in the 2018 warranty?!

This car is still at the top of my list for "if the XC60 absolutely HAD to be replaced tomorrow".

Love the R-Design's power, but READY FOR ANOTHER STICK SHIFT!

Uncle Louie

Skier
I've been trying to move my truck (and can't) in order to get a second Alltrack. Here they are running about 7000 off list price and I thought that was good. Still slowly dropping in price and not much movement on them. All the Manual transmission models are gone though (at least within 400 miles of here).

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been trying to move my truck (and can't) in order to get a second Alltrack. Here they are running about 7000 off list price and I thought that was good. Still slowly dropping in price and not much movement on them. All the Manual transmission models are gone though (at least within 400 miles of here).

Still loving my little red manual Alltrack. Zips right along and if I watch my speed, I can get up to 35-36 mpg on highway trips. No real complaints (other than some occasional rattly-bang from the lower dashboard and watching the front left wheel/brake). It's due for its first oil change in a few more thousand miles, so I'll ask about the issues then. So far, very good.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seeing the mention of huge discounts on the Alltracks, I had to take a look at local dealer websites. Mostly running in the $3500 to $6000 range depending on the trim level. But one thing I noticed was no 2018s were listed. Anyone else seeing that? I'm thinking that change to the warranty could indeed be an issue moving last year's cars.

Uncle Louie

Skier
Seeing the mention of huge discounts on the Alltracks, I had to take a look at local dealer websites. Mostly running in the $3500 to $6000 range depending on the trim level. But one thing I noticed was no 2018s were listed. Anyone else seeing that? I'm thinking that change to the warranty could indeed be an issue moving last year's cars.

I haven't seen any 2018 Alltacks advertised within a few hundred miles of me here in central Kentucky. I think the new warranty may be an issue to some, but at the discounts they are offering, anyone who wants one would be crazy to just not pull the trigger and get a warranty (warranties) from some source other than VW.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There have been some pics pop up of the new Alltrack

Here is the new green...
2018-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-safety-and-driver-assistance-review-car-and-driver-photo-696974-s-original.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has been a while since I checked in here. At this point the Alltrack has just 26,000 on it and as performed well in every aspect and has performed as expected. I do find that I am playing with the DSG paddles more than I thought I would and the responsiveness is pretty darn good. We will be going with our third windshield as this one alreay has a crack in it.