• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the local shop we call home is alpina ski shop & 940 boards in the Pocono mtn of PA. even though we don't buy all our gear from them, they are our boot-fitter and do all our tune-up/set-up work. we started going there specifically for their boot-fitting reputation. in addition to their knowledge and experience, we have become friends with the owners there, and dropping in their shop after a ski day has become part of our après routine.
It has been year since I have been in that store since the late 90's but I recall it being one of the better stores. We bought my ex wife's Rossi 7Xk's there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seriously. Skis, dogs, and a brewery. What more could a girl ask for?

Indoor bootfitting carpet :D ?

indoor-ski-sim-photo.png

Hypergruv

"Suck At the Highest Level"
Skier
+1 for Pepi's in Vail. If I had a shop, Tim and Dan are the guys I would want in it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In Whitefish:

Great Northern Cycle and Ski. (A but more groomer/racing oriented)

Or

The White Room (a bit more AT/back country oriented)

Then there's Sportsman and Ski Haus, but they are more hunting and fishing. They have plenty of stock and several locations, but to me they are close to a box store. Or the shop at the mountain (Snowghost), but frankly they are more.... Hmmm... Clothes? If there were ever a store underperforming (for the customer -- who knows how their numbers are) for its location, this would be an example. The mountain has the stores in three locations, the rentals in two locations, and the demos yet another. Tuning is just as confusing. Seems like they need to build a centrally located structure and get some critical mass. They are more like the 711 where you dash in for a pint of milk than your whole grocery shopping. Clearly they assume if you've arrived at the mountain, you've bought your skis already.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Messaging with Timur tonight. My skis are essentially ready. He’s left a thin layer of unscraped wax to protect them from man made snow unless I prefer he scrape them and then I should bring them back after 3-4 ski days. Mom will be ther regular hours and he arrives around 6:15 each evening. I’m now aiming to show up and see them both...

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Best and most knowledgeable shop in MI is Norm's in Greenville. Experienced boot fitter as well. But where they really shine is with their tune ups! They're the only shop i let touch my skis and when I lived in Vail I mailed them. Worth every cent! They're also one of only a few shops in the Midwest with an infrared waxer! Think hot box without the time and heat!

zephyr17

Booting up
Skier
Seattle Ski and Snowboard in Shoreline, WA. Small place, great, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff. Kind of a hangout of skiers. Locally owned (owner is often in the shop). The kind of ski shop I remember from 30 years ago, but which have largely disappeared. I make it a point to have major shop work done there, and buy most of my gear there. Good bootfitters and they stand behind what they do.

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
I had a really good relationship with Mountain Rentals in Loveland along the front range in northern Colorado. If your in the area they’re worth checking out. If Frank didn’t have it, all I had to do was ask and it would be there stat. He never had an issue putting a pair of skis into rental to let me try out if he didn’t have a pair already in the line up.....maybe that’s because he knew they probably weren’t coming back, lol.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
For anyone in the Denver area, I have to give a huge shout out to Foothills Ski Life, and it’s owner Ashton. It is the new incarnation of the former Foothills Ski and Bike, but without the late owner and purely ski focused. The level of service Ashton offers everyone who walks through the door has to be experienced to be believed, and his selection of race oriented equipment and tuning supplies is unmatched. The shop is in Denver near Broadways and Evans.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Being in Denver we have it pretty good. There are multiple good backcountry ski shops (Neptune Mountaineering, BentGate, WildX) and multiple good alpine shops (Powder7, Foothills, Eskimo.)

And we even have a good "big" shop in the new Evo -- which took over the space / staff / knowledge of the old Edgeworks.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Local shops need to keep their quality up. In the Seattle area one friend, an older lady with money to spend, was ignored in one formerly well regarded shop. She could not get a clerk to talk to her and sell her boots. Another friend got a terrible tune at a different local Seattle shop (Alpine Pro in Whistler tuned them right). A big shop in the region with a couple of stores can't seem to keep well trained staff--a friend had them screw up fitting Intuition liners, another friend had them sell him totally unsuitable boots that could not be made to fit his weird feet. I had a terrible tune at a tune-specialty shop. I had a bad experience with tuning at one of the outlying REI stores--they didn't do what was on the paperwork, and what they did do was done poorly. Again, Alpine Pro to the rescue.

Local shops, you gott'a keep your quality tops every day.

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
+1 for Pepi's in Vail. If I had a shop, Tim and Dan are the guys I would want in it.

I've used them plenty in Vail based on previous recommendations. They're great.

There was a great ski shop in NJ outside of NYC that I used to love to go to. Unfortunately recently they were acquired by a chain... and I haven't been back since because of previous poor experiences with that chain. There is one in Westchester that is good, but they can give off a bit of a snobbish vibe even though they are very knowledgeable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

There was a great ski shop in NJ outside of NYC that I used to love to go to. Unfortunately recently they were acquired by a chain... and I haven't been back since because of previous poor experiences with that chain. There is one in Westchester that is good, but they can give off a bit of a snobbish vibe even though they are very knowledgeable.
Was that Heino's? If so, while I was never there, I heard nothing but great things about the shop.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

You are likely speaking about Heinos in Pequannock, NJ and Pedigree Ski in White Plains, NY.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Sports Systems in Albuquerque has been my go to store for all things skiing. Not only have I bought many pairs of skis and boots and other items from them over the years I outfitted my kids there as well. When the kids grew out of one piece of equipment we traded up for the next.

The guys there are really great and some of them work with the University of New Mexico’s Nationaly ranked ski team, setting courses etc. I average a new boot every other season and often will go down there several times to get adjustments done and am in and out in no time. They offer pro discounts and always take care of their regular customers with complimentary lift tickets to Taos, Telluride, Purgatory and other areas.

They have a great season lease program too that is geared towards newer skiers/kids.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier

Ski Barn is hardly a "chain". The same family is still operating and working in the stores (since 1971). I have always had great service at the Wayne and Paramus stores and before that at the original location in Little Falls. I have not been to the other 2 stores. I also used Heino's, too, and worked for Heino during busy season many years ago. Greg Pier from Heino's is now doing boot fitting at the Ski Barn Wayne, NJ, store.

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
Ski Barn is hardly a "chain". The same family is still operating and working in the stores (since 1971). I have always had great service at the Wayne and Paramus stores and before that at the original location in Little Falls. I have not been to the other 2 stores. I also used Heino's, too, and worked for Heino during busy season many years ago. Greg Pier from Heino's is now doing boot fitting at the Ski Barn Wayne, NJ, store.

I honestly cannot say the same for the Paramus store. I've had mixed experiences there. I now live about midway in between the Paramus & Wayne stores, so maybe I'll check out the Wayne one when I have time.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
A few years ago I was scouring the PNW, looking for some hard-to-find demos. Realizing that I might be calling around many shops looking for something else in the future, I decided to compile a list of shops from Bellingham down to Oregon.

This list could be useful for some of y'all so here it is. Keep in mind that it was never complete, and many entries are surely out of date.

FROM NORTH TO SOUTH

Sportsman (Bellingham) 360-671-1044

Glacier SKi Shop 360-599-1943

Mt. Baker 360-734-6771
Jeff Pike 360-303-7374c [email protected]

Stevens Pass 206-812-4510, X4250 tech ctr X4206 sales

Grass Roots Outdoor 500 SE Everett Mall Way (425) 423-0717
[email protected]

Seattle Ski (Shoreline) 206-548-1000

Bothell Ski 425-486-3747

Eastside Ski & Sport (Woodinville) 425-485-7547

Gerk's Alpine (Redmond) 425-883-7544