• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Lift Accident at Tussey Mountain PA. Five Injured -12/16

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
A lift accident at Tussey Mountain near State College, PA left at least 5 people injured when a chair slid backwards on the haul line causing a domino pile up of 5 chairs. A rather choppy video here taken shortly after the accident show scenes of the sandwiched chairs with riders still in them. Fortunately there were no life threatening injuries. News report here

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A lift accident at Tussey Mountain near State College, PA left at least 5 people injured when a chair slid backwards on the haul line causing a domino pile up of 4 chairs. a rather choppy video here taken shortly after the accident show scenes of the sandwiched chairs with riders still in them. Fortunately there were no life threatening injuries. News report here

Yikes!

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.47.56 PM.png

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
That appears to be a (not so) fixed grip.
Yes fixed grip... and slooooooow! I spent many nights on that lift during my college ski team days. It was technically a quad... but they basically had soldered two double-chairs together to make it a quad. You could almost hike uphill faster than that lift moved.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is the first I have heard for this season 2017 - 2018.

Today five hurt at Tussey Mt. PA ski lift malfunction.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
screen-shot-2017-12-16-at-5-47-56-pm-png.35306

how long before this is a funny meme on pinterest? Insert funny caption here!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anyone wonder how they passed the pre season load tests??

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's a warm ride for sure, but getting off at the top will be tough

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Did they have the bar up or bar down??

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've never heard of Tussey Mountain in PA. Sounds like the bolted connection to the ski lift cable was loose. Shouldn't these connections be tightened at the beginning of each year? Hope everyone is ok. Tussey Link

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Unfortunately, in many states, ski areas are held to a very low level. You would think that best practices would dictate that critical connections be torque checked at regular periods and safety wired - if not by law then by the interest of running a safe operation.

CA legislature recently passed a bill holding areas to some degree of accountability. Their governor vetoed it.

Sponsor

Staff online