• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Least bad way to quickly dry soaking wet fabric gloves?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Pugski, please save us from ourselves - our entire cabin decided to go skiing in the rain at Squaw today. We're hoping to go again tomorrow, but everyone's gloves are still soaking wet after sitting out around the house for about 5 hours. The google says you shouldn't put them in the dryer, but is it lying? Is there some other method we're missing? The gloves are GoreTex and the other pair is some indeterminate REI material.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I've never put mine in the dryer, but I have put them (a few different brands and materials) on a furnace vent (or hotel heater vent) without any issue. Do you have a hair dryer that's not super hot? Moving air is important, and warm air (without it being super hot) should be safe.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The REI ones, I would definitely put in the dryer. They've gotten tons of use! Not sure about the others.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ruined a pair of burton gloves putting them in the dryer once. They never again felt the same way and seem to have shrunk some also.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There should be a care label in the wrist of the gloves with instructions - a ton of legal requirements and lab documentation goes into what's included.

If it's missing, the general rule of thumb is that that the dryer strengthens DWR and is great for a basic Goretex (or other waterproof membrane) glove. If leather's added in the mix, it's best to air dry or concentrate heat on the inside, like a blow dryer or turning them out if it's not a total PITA.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
If your cabin has one of those air blower gadgets for drying boots put the gloves over the air tubes. It will dry them just fine.

I avoid the wet glove problem by bringing 2 pairs of gloves and switch every day.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I always put mine in the dryer, even the leather ones. Low heat. The larger ones are so thoroughly impregnated with either Hestra or SnoSeal that the stuff just penetrates deeper. I start at 25 minutes, then repeat as necessary.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
As others have said -

When the gloves are soaking wet, put them in the dryer on very, very low heat for 30-45 minutes and then turn off the heat completely for another 45-60 minutes. By then they should be at least 50-75% dry. The other 25-50% we just let happen overnight or help along with the boot dryer.

When they are just damp/partially wet, we put them on the boot dryer for 30-45 minutes and let the rest happen overnight.

I am not sure if this holds true for every glove, but it works for the gloves we have (Hestra, Arcteryx) - at least the non-heated ones ogsmile.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have use the clothes dryer on the delicate cycle. Works just fine for my cloves and some are very old.

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Thanks everyone! No boot drier here, but I've been sticking the indeterminate REI gloves in the dryer on delicate for around 50 mins and haven't had any issues yet. Tried the tumble dry setting & it didn't do much. Still haven't put the Goretex ones in since they're brand new and we didn't wanna risk it.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Thanks everyone! No boot drier here, but I've been sticking the indeterminate REI gloves in the dryer on delicate for around 50 mins and haven't had any issues yet. Tried the tumble dry setting & it didn't do much. Still haven't put the Goretex ones in since they're brand new and we didn't wanna risk it.

Goretex and other PTFE membranes are renewed by heat drying. I wouldn't worry.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
since I got these I havent had to dry gloves off since when it rains or has really wet snow this is what I use.

http://www.galeton.com/polar-flex-i...polar-flex-insulated-pvc-gloves/7220-product/

7220_A

best 15 dollars ever spent.

Sponsor