• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
royal-flush-jpg.35206
Royal Flush

That is a great picture!
Ah, the memories... I had my first major rock damage on Royal Flush back in the 1980's.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
That is a great picture!
Ah, the memories... I had my first major rock damage on Royal Flush back in the 1980's.
Plenty of rocks are still there awaiting your return. Had my new skis out on Thursday and Friday but made all turns in piled-up fluff avoiding the danger. Any side slipping mid slope would uncover rocks guarnteeded. Skiing the nats after our first good storm is always a gamble but I was touring some Magic based maggots around and they are used to thin cover skiing. Have a soft spot in my heart to those warriors who try to keep my old home mountain afloat. Here is a shot of another one of our rock rich gems - Catwalk (Skier Goniff on TGR or Liv4Ski on Pugski) .

Catwalk4.jpg

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob Skinner’s at the traffic circle at Mt. Sunapee.

http://bobskinners.com/

I’ve been a customer for years. Master Bootfitter and does a great job.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Killington both Saturday and Sunday and was going to PM you GIS to meet up, but my ski buddy is not very punctual and I didn't want to skunk you. Conditions were very good for early season. We spent today lapping Superstar and demoing skis from the Basin ski shop set up at the bottom. I first tried the Nordica Navigator which was quite a bit firmer than my FIscher Ranger 88s and did better in the firm conditions. I really liked them and then tried Nordica Enforcers 93s???. These were bombers and felt incredibly stable at speed even through some scratchy areas.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Bootfitter at Killington?
Aspen East on Rt4 is my go to shop with Ted Manning ( Still one of the fastest on the Mtn) the go to fitter.
Northern Ski Works in Killington- Have found Hal to be pretty good.
Peak Performance is the go to race shop in Killington and they do know their craft.
Surefoot, Basin, Black Dog, Roots and Forerunner are all very good shops.

Shon at the Boot Pro in Ludlow was my guy when I was Okemo based.

Tried to use Inner Boot Works in Stowe years back but the multiple trips nearly two hours to the North that they required to ensure a proper fit was the deal breaker. Sounds like PJ is the current master fitter that many swear by in the Stowe area.

Finding a local shop here in Killington if you ski often here is the way to go.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I already have a 7 hr drive for my Killington trips so an on-site shop is how I would like to go for now. I've heard some good things about a couple of these shops on the lifts, but wanted the forum's input. This is definitely my "home" mountain for the next few years.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Bootfitter at Killington?

I've been using Basin, Ray and Tim have treated me well and get me good results. They were able to improve a situation Northern wasn't fixing, and their footbed molding was better than Surefit. GIS trashes more equipment than just about anyone, so his advice on Aspen East should be worthwhile.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy n Shorts 19 Dec Killington Conditions

Snowflakes to start the session at first bell quickly turned to just plain wet drops. Fog filled air made seeing the soft snow underfoot a challenge. Additional three inches of white that had fallen since last night was creamy dreamy anywhere the groomers skipped. Warmed the crew up on Upper Ridge Run playing in the new snow coated over the rounded soft bumps. East Fall, Cascade and Superstar quickly had warmed our friends from Pa getting in their first turns of the year. Moisture level on Needles drove us a noontime lunch break at the peak. Swapped out the damp gloves for a dry pair as the afternoon weather behaved itself remaining mostly dry. Laps on the natural snow on Snowdon and Ramshead filled the afternoon hours.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - Need a pair of clear goggles with automatic wipers.

Great Bear (1).jpg Great Bear Foggy Peak.jpg Foggy Peak Swirl.jpg Swirl

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 20 Dec Killington Conditions

Yellow orb peaked past the lurking white veil setting us up for the final Fall ski day. Rode the Snowdon Quad getting the Bunny Buster warm-up on a perfect surface to make racing carves. Cascade was next up given the really sweet grooming that the mountain had received overnight. Wet weather yesterday did very little to damage the snow. Ducked the rope on Highline joining the growing crowd of Ski Bums lining up for our first race of the year. Back to the top we made Bear Trax to our newest open mountain. Bear trails has lots of rubble strewn about in with the loose snow. Riding the Bear Quad in the sun charged the soul. Entire length of the old Snowshed Crossover was open bringing an old skeleton out of the closet. Left early to give a quart at the local holiday blood drive.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - Being able to ski to Bear makes it really seem like the mountain is open.

Attachments

• Button.jpg
    Button.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Sk Bum Race.jpg
    Sk Bum Race.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Outer Limits (1).jpg
    Outer Limits (1).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 5

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was there last weekend you could see they were holding out a lot for the Holiday crowds. Did you really donate a quart of blood, or a pint?

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
When I was there last weekend you could see they were holding out a lot for the Holiday crowds. Did you really donate a quart of blood, or a pint?
I do the power red donation since my blood type is O- so two units of red blood cells are taken out while returning the plasma and platelets back into my bloodstream. Wife donates the standard pint.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well Kmart shoppers, today was a blue light special! The only low point was trying to take Highridge Trail home. Too flat and too much work with the dry fluffy snow and no touring skis.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday was even better than Friday! The snow was denser and easier to edge. My legs are shot so took today off. Stopped at Northern to get an additional punch on the right big toe (that foot is a half-size longer) and got a fresh full tune.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 27Dec Killington Conditions

Cold sun added a bit of light but came up a little short as a heat source. Below zero squeaky snow greeted the slow arriving holiday crowd. Riding in one the boxes were the favored lift choice of the day. Dark canyon runs soon had us heading down on the first Peak to Creek run of the year. Lapped a sunny Bear playing in growing snow piles on Wildfire. Outer Limits joined the party adding to rapidly growing trail count. Managed to snag a couple of stools for a Skyeship Jerk lunch break. Remaining powder stashes are getting chewed up as we await our next storm.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - It’s really not too bad out there because it’s a dry cold.

Cold Sun.jpg Cold Sun Helter Skelter.jpg Helter Skelter Needles Base.jpg Needles Base

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 28Dec Killington Conditions

Left the safety of the truck with the dash thermometer reading 17 below. All lifts were delayed a hour allowing for small horde to gather at the K1 for the start. Cold snow provided very little glide with a little extra work pushing creating some nice warming. Buff grooming runs ruled the morning due to very light traffic. Left before noon with the temperature still reading 17 below. Stopped at the Inn at Long Trail for a french onion soup and Guinness. Too cold for pictures.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - This cold has me shivering to the core.

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was checking the Superstar web cam throughout the day and din't see many people braving the cold. Ironic that there's plenty of snow during the Holiday week and no lift lines. I can handle some cold, but 17 below is probably pushing the limits of being fun.