• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kastle MX98 thoughts?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, I have seen a few Kastle MX98's for sale and given that I am in the market for an All-Mountain ski in that width range (95-100mm) that is damp and can charge through crud with authority and stability I put the Kastle in my short list. Basically I want a ski that can handle difficult snow conditions at speed easily and also have good hold on hard snow areas (scraped off) on steep terrain. Should be able to handle moguls but for trees I have my Moments. Basically the skis I am looking for are for above treeline wide open terrain (wind buff!, wind affected snow) and skied off or chopped up groomers.

What are your experiences with the MX98's?

[I am looking at the 184cm MX98. I am 6'-2" and weight 185]

for reference I found both the 184cm Head Monster 88 and the 187cm Blizzard Bonafide easy to ski all day. Wished the Bonafide were a bit more stable in crud and chopped up groomers although I enjoyed them. The Monster 88's were more stable and composed in rough snow but were a bit bland although I was happy on them too, looking at the Monster 98's although I could not find some to demo.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
That's an awesome ski, probably as good of a straight-up all mountain charger as you are going to find. Keep in mind that it is significantly behind its times (this is why you can find it on sale), and Kastle moved on with the FX95HP taking that all-mountain charger spot in its lineup (and adding a much more modern shape in the process).

If you found the Bonafide unstable, you may look at the Dynastar ProRider that just has been reissued. This is a true World Tour-worthy competition freeride ski (in fact, I believe that this was the ski that some of the Dynastar sponsored athletes competed on the FWT, even though it was painted to look like Cham series). If you have the skills to drive it, and the terrain to let it run, there is nothing better.

Between the Monster 98 and the Kastle, I would go Kastle, although Monster 98 is a hell of a ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the new tip profile, I believe you will find the new Bonafide more stable. With that said, the Monster 98 is the leader in the club house for stability in the class...IIRC Kastle still has a few MX98's around, contact your local Kastle dealer and ask them to make a call...if you are willing to drop the $1,100 plus for them.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski the Kastle MX98 and love them. Back in the "old days" my go to skis were the Kastle RX12 GSM for up here. The MX98's remind me a lot of them; smooth, strong, and great turn initiation. I ski in the northern Rockies (Montana and Wyoming) and they are great for the various conditions we get. I can't speak to the other skis you're looking at, but I have great confidence in those that have shared their opinions.
Good Luck!
Bob

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
With the new tip profile, I believe you will find the new Bonafide more stable. With that said, the Monster 98 is the leader in the club house for stability in the class...IIRC Kastle still has a few MX98's around, contact your local Kastle dealer and ask them to make a call...if you are willing to drop the $1,100 plus for them.

Thanks for pointing out that the new Bonafide has a different tip profile, had no clue about this. So it looks like the tip might have better contact with the snow since its wider? Has less tip rocker?

Found a 2016 MX98 184cm new for $500...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found a 2016 MX98 184cm new for $500...

Well, if that's your ski, that's CERTAINLY your price!

I'm always slow to embrace change, and that has been the case with early rise, wider skis, etc. (and I'm still not there with tail rocker).

That said, I can't imagine looking at a 98 mm ski anymore that doesn't have at least a smidge of early rise.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I'm always slow to embrace change, and that has been the case with early rise, wider skis, etc. (and I'm still not there with tail rocker).

That said, I can't imagine looking at a 98 mm ski anymore that doesn't have at least a smidge of early rise.

My only skis right now are 112mm wide with a good amount of tip and tail rocker, flat underfoot and "micro camber" infront and behind the bindings. (Moment Deathwish 190cm, 27M turn radius) and while they are awesome in a wide range of conditions and I can make them do what I want with little trouble I want a narrower ski to deal with typical variable Colorado resort ski conditions (which means overskied slopes in general) and are easier on my knees. That made me look into heavier and damper/stable skis. Liked the Monster 88 (184cm) but want something a tad wider to better deal with deeper chowder and funky snow. The Bonafide (187cm's) kinda fit the bill and I enjoyed them but if the MX98's are more stable and damp I am all for that.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No personal experience, so no reason to chime in.
...But that's never stopped me.

Based on what I've read in a bunch of places, MX98 is a freight train. If you found the 187 Bones "easy" all day at your weight and skill, the MX98's are incredibly well-constructed skis that are/were designed for just the kind of skiing you're talking about. $500 for Kastles is as good a bargain as you're likely to find.

As for being "behind the times", would you be OK driving a brand-new 2012 Audi AllRoad?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

MX98 has tip rise. The Monster, less. The new Bonafide has tip rise. The fx 95 is many things, but it's not in the same category of any of the above. Imho of course.

$500 for an MX 98? Jump on'em.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are they?? :)
The Fx95 is no freight train, that's for sure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MX98 has tip rise. The Monster, less. The new Bonafide has tip rise. The fx 95 is many things, but it's not in the same category of any of the above. Imho of course.

$500 for an MX 98? Jump on'em.

My bad on the tip rise. Grab 'em!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I don't think MX98 has a tip rise, even if the specs indicate it. FX95HP is not a freight train in the typical sense of the expression, but they are plenty stable at any speed (for me) and have never deflected (due in large part to the taper in the shovel). I also think that it's a more powerful ski and higher performing ski than at least the original Bonafide (and I have a lot days on both). For all practical purposes the FX95HP can do almost everything the MXs can do, but the FX's performance envelope is wider. There is a reason to the price. The ultimate freight train ski for me is the current Dynastar ProRider (I believe the current re-issued model is identical to the one I tested and loved).

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The last pair of mx 98's I held in my hands and skied on had some tip rise. The 88 didn't. It was more than the monster.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Mine do not have an early rise, and they are 14-15's. They do have standard camber. I can't believe they changed the press for 15-16 and then not bring them back for 16-17. Nevertheless, they ski great! Early rise or not!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
All's I recall is that I really like them and find the current Monster 98 to be a kissing cousin. ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All's I recall is that I really like them and find the current Monster 98 to be a kissing cousin. ogsmile
I am working on a better comparision.....Give me a bit, I will come up with it. ogwink Eli to Payton Manning? No..thats not it...

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I love the MX98 so much that I bought a replacement pair early this season when they still had some in the warehouse. This is a great ski, and I use it when there's more than 8" of fresh in everything from tight trees to bumps, steeps, and high alpine. I also skied them as my primary ski at Whistler in the steeps there when it was a bit firmer.

This ski is more of a traditional ski with a bit of camber. It is fairly flexible tip to tail, but has a lot of torsional stability. It will rail, but not like a MX83 or 78. It is fabulous in crud, and will blow up most any crud pile. It is the best 90 something ski I've skied. But then, I like a traditional ski and am not a fan of rocker.

I ski it in the 183 length and am 5'11"/190 lbs. I'm also a Level 2 ski instructor going for my 3.

Mike

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I am working on a better comparision.....Give me a bit, I will come up with it. ogwink Eli to Payton Manning? No..thats not it...

Maybe the Hanson bros.? ogsmile

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Have looked at the shopping cart many times now... almost almost pulled the trigger... geeeez.

Even started checking out other options like the Armada 99Ti.

Is this normal?

James

Out There
Instructor
Have looked at the shopping cart many times now... almost almost pulled the trigger... geeeez.

Even started checking out other options like the Armada 99Ti.

Is this normal?
Which part?
Btw, which size are you looking at?
Very tempting.
After skiing off piste in Chamonix though, and finding the 192 SR95's ('16) to have too much power, I am less tempted. I learned that sometimes it's better to be riding a dead cow than a race horse.

Sponsor

Staff online