• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There was a time before the 1s and 0s of the digital age that skiers had to wait until fall when the new buyers' guide arrived in the mail. If you remember, it was almost an inch thick, a true skier's bible; it made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I would wash my hands first, so I wouldn't get the pages dirty, and then I would check who got the coveted back page ad. The first go-round was to page through quickly and make mental notes of certain ads I wanted to read, which is what I did in Round 2. Which crazy ad did Scott do? Which of my favorite freestylers did K2 feature with Phil and Steve? Did Hotfingers have another girl getting her butt squeezed? (and how did that guy get so lucky?) There was a level of comfort looking at the ads, even the small ones in the back from shops like Scandinavian Ski in Manhattan.

But the third time through the magazine was the charm. I would read the articles and, particularly, the reviews. Even though all the skis were more similar than they are now, I still memorized all the dimensions and sizes, pages and pages of info, not just a few select skis that manufacturers wanted to focus on but every model seemed to get some time in the spotlight. Carl Ettlinger's articles described each binding and how they worked, complete with drawings. Bindings are rarely even discussed in today's magazines, much less analyzed.

Print Dead 1170x538.jpg
Artwork by @Dave Petersen

Fast forward to today. The buyers' guides are maybe a quarter-inch thick with reviews that feel more like well-placed ads. In 1985 when Egon in Ghostbusters said "print is dead," he might have been premature -- but think about how you are getting your skiing information today. On the internet at sites like Pugski. Your reviews come from Pugski, Blister, and Realskiers. When are you getting them? Eight months before a magazine hits your hand! I have reps coming up to me all proud saying, “Did you see we made the magazine?” My reply, “Yeah we started discussing that ski eight months ago and have already created a buzz and preorders and in some cases helped you sell out already ... the magazine is just validating what we already said."

So what happens after ski testing, ie, what does a magazine do with the information? Well, since a magazine is static, all it can really do is rank the skis using some sort of numbering system. Once the skis are ranked, how do they rate? We see the top 10 results, let's say one ski gets a 8.16 and another a 7.91, but what does that quarter point mean? It means the 7.91 might as well be put on the discount rack now because it won’t sell, its fate has been sealed. Why? It could be any reason, maybe it wasn't tuned well or had the wrong wax on it. Maybe the testers, all PSIA Level XI, ex-NCAA racers, or manufacturer-paid athletes, over-skied a ski that was designed for mortals. No matter why, a ski that could very well be a better ski for a multitude of skiers will never make it onto their feet. How would that skier even know? Can they ask the reviewers? No, because they are either skiing some glacier in Austria or running a clinic in Portillo. How can skiers who do not know what they need decipher information that they don’t understand? Simple, they go to the ski that has the highest rating because it must be the best. But is it the best for them? Chances are, no.

This is where Pugski’s reviews and discussion are different. As much as numbers like sidecut, turn radius, rocker, and even length can be deceiving, for the reasons I have stated in other articles, ranking skis is even more confusing. This is why we want to help readers decide who a ski is for. Sure, we have our favorites and own biases, but we try to look past them to help you find what will be best for you. That's why we don’t rank skis or pick one over the other in the Cage Matches, where both skis are winners; the important thing is which one is the winner for you. Still not sure? Ask us. If you aren't sure after a magazine review? Well, just try asking their testers ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes, Who a ski is for is key! I would keep elaborating on that aspect of ski reviews. How you describe skiers is what sets you apart for sure instead of the usual beginner--->expert categories.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So what happens after ski testing, ie, what does a magazine do with the information? Well, since a magazine is static, all it can really do is rank the skis using some sort of numbering system. Once the skis are ranked, how do they rate? We see the top 10 results, let's say one ski gets a 8.16 and another a 7.91, but what does that quarter point mean? It means the 7.91 might as well be put on the discount rack now because it won’t sell, its fate has been sealed. Why? It could be any reason, maybe it wasn't tuned well or had the wrong wax on it. Maybe the testers, all PSIA Level XI, ex-NCAA racers, or manufacturer-paid athletes, over-skied a ski that was designed for mortals. No matter why, a ski that could very well be a better ski for a multitude of skiers will never make it onto their feet. How would that skier even know? Can they ask the reviewers? No, because they are either skiing some glacier in Austria or running a clinic in Portillo. How can skiers who do not know what they need decipher information that they don’t understand? Simple, they go to the ski that has the highest rating because it must be the best. But is it the best for them? Chances are, no.​

This is, practically speaking perfectly true, yet I still feel that there is a middle ground that print magazines are, wilfully and intentionally, not finding.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is, practically speaking perfectly true, yet I still feel that there is a middle ground that print magazines are, wilfully and intentionally, not finding.

@cantunamunch and is that doind a disservice to the reader?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice reading, Phil. I really think there are two separate issues, both of them relevant but somehow independent.

One is the prevalence of digital media. It is much better than the old paper print, given today's technologies, period. The world population is massively moving from printed media to Internet based content. For very many reasons, When it comes down to ski reviews, particularly here in Pugski, the reviewer is available for feedback pretty much right away (does anyone remember the "Letters to the Editor"?). So, for the reader, assuming they have a Forum account, the value is immensely superior. The review becomes a living, dynamic organism.

And then there is the other point: numerical rankings vs a focus on who a ski is, and who it isn't, for. That's a very nice way of looking at it. It's not an easy to parse hierarchy. It requires a certain amount of effort in the reader, but it is the way to go. What is she going to be happy about if she buys the number 1 ski, the winner, the best. And that monster can only be ridden by a level 9 skier, while she has only skied 20 times in her life. So, who is it for, how does it ride, is it damp, is it fast, can it be pivoted easily, will it kill a newbie, etc. Kudos for the reviews in here!

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
For publications like SKI and Skiing, it sure seems they've cut back so much that I now wonder why they bother. I'm sure a lot of the challenge they face is they just can't pay reasonable dollars to contributing writers. I think once you start getting aggressive about cutting publishing costs you get to a point where it's just not possible to raise the quality of the magazine because that would push the page count beyond what's sustainable.

I do think there's a place in the market for ski-related periodicals. I buy them IF they've got reasonably interesting content. I'm sure their readership would grow if quality, quantity and depth of topics went up markedly. Maybe it's time for consolidation. Like Outside Magazine absorbing SKI or Skiing and devoting more Fall-Winter coverage to winter sports - and writing quality articles. It sure seems that Outside still has resources and enough editorial staff. It's not like Outside would have a high bar to clear, since the current Ski mags are so weak now.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don't think ski magazines are no longer relevant. I like the fact that I think their testers are mostly going to be excellent skiers, and they probably do have some understanding of what consumers are looking for. What has irked me this season is seeing a ski that had all of it's early production recalled last spring topping most of this year's tests. Obviously there is some bias when a broken ski can win a category (it won internet accolades too though).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with mendieta, there are 2 different issues here .Print media is struggling in the digital world . The whole field of journalism is changing .
That being said, online ski reviews are the best thing that has happened in the history of ski reviews. I just happened on the ski forum conduits a couple of years ago, and have been really impressed with ski reviews , and the ability one has to ask question of reviewers.
Ski magazine reviews are usually a paragraph of condensed pap that doesn't say much , or at best , a little about who a ski is for , how it may behave in differing conditions etc.
Reviews from Pugski , Realskier, and Blister are so much more detailed, and offer a wealth of information we never got before . I really enjoy the CageMatch. One gets a solid comparison of how similarly numbered skis behave differently. And people get to respond and offer their own opinion. I think its brilliant.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Regarding topic question... I think this slide from on of yesterday's presentations on conference about sport marketing and sponsorships in sport, which is currently being held here tells everything. Print (and radio) is dead. No discussion needed.

sporto.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with mendieta, there are 2 different issues here .Print media is struggling in the digital world . The whole field of journalism is changing .
That being said, online ski reviews are the best thing that has happened in the history of ski reviews. I just happened on the ski forum conduits a couple of years ago, and have been really impressed with ski reviews , and the ability one has to ask question of reviewers.
Ski magazine reviews are usually a paragraph of condensed pap that doesn't say much , or at best , a little about who a ski is for , how it may behave in differing conditions etc.
Reviews from Pugski , Realskier, and Blister are so much more detailed, and offer a wealth of information we never got before . I really enjoy the CageMatch. One gets a solid comparison of how similarly numbered skis behave differently. And people get to respond and offer their own opinion. I think its brilliant.
I agree, there are at least two topics at hand, we can add who are the testers? Why are their affiliates not disclosed? Most importantly how limited the manufacturers are in what product gets represented. The categories set by the magazines can be very limiting and subjective and there can be a bit of shooting in the dark as far as what can be and will be represented.

I will not speak for Jackson & Peter at Realskiers or the Jonathan and his guys at Blister but we are not trying to displace any of them, I think their sites along with ours complement each other. We all provide a similar product, quality reviews, very differently and I think that is great for you, the readers. @graham418 , Thank you for the complement on the cage matches, I feel they can be very informative and people will get a lot out of them, mostly, they serve a purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I an provide a good example of where where rankings fail. After a lot of reading thus summary, looking for a midfat al mountain for myself, I realized (with proper guidance from many of you) that he best skis are tipically intended for the best skiers. And I am far from that, really far :)

I didn't beed the best midfat, I needed a ski that is forgiving but it will let me grow my technique.

So, perhaps a suggestion? Add a skier-level recommendation?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I an provide a good example of where where rankings fail. After a lot of reading thus summary, looking for a midfat al mountain for myself, I realized (with proper guidance from many of you) that he best skis are tipically intended for the best skiers. And I am far from that, really far :)

I didn't need the best midfat, I needed a ski that is forgiving but it will let me grow my technique.

So, perhaps a suggestion? Add a skier-level recommendation?
Just because it was the best midfat, that doesn't mean that it is the best mid-fat for you. I cannot tell you how many people walk up to the wall and ask "What's the best ski?" I would venture to say it is only second to the question "When did skis get so wide?" . Whenever I get either of those questions I know that i am in for a long conversation and an education seminar. Thank you for validating my thoughts for an upcoming thread.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
if you recall, ski or skiing used to have a section for beginner, intermediate and experts. I think that's a great idea.
Why do you think they got away from it?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if I had to guess, i would say that was a lot of extra work. I wonder if ski manufacturers didnt like have some skis labeled this way since "everyone" wants the expert ski. The east-west breakout is helpful though.

To some degree, the ski manufacturers make their own beds, they sign up for the reviews, pay their money and even submit their choice of skis.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than listing the new or changed hardware, I think the good part of print are the pictures (duh) and the more narrative articles. I like things like The Jaded Local and Morpheme columns in Powder, and the articles/writings in The Ski Journal and Backcountry and Ascent and Off Piste. <-Those are the print media that I subscribe to, and tend to describe my tastes. The only gear guide/tests I pay any attention to at all are in Backcountry because that's what I'm interested in and tends not to be thoroughly covered anywhere else.

Edit to add: The real value in online reviews is where there is the provision (either in forums or comments) for feedback and discussion from others. Makes for a much more comprehensive review - you can get a much better feel for what may or may not suit you as you pore over others' reactions or you can ask questions about qualities that may not have been covered in the review.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Edit to add: The real value in online reviews is where there is the provision (either in forums or comments) for feedback and discussion from others. Makes for a much more comprehensive review - you can get a much better feel for what may or may not suit you as you pore over others' reactions or you can ask questions about qualities that may not have been covered in the review.

Don't forget the archival reference value. I was going to suggest this in another context - let's put the model year and model next to each posted ski pic. Specifically and particularly, in review threads.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have yet to see the usual FREE copies of SKI Magazine in my mailbox this fall. We got it the past 5 seasons due to NASTAR activity. Now only getting the online articles from SKI.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Generally since print involves much more cost and commitment than online publishing at the very least the images and graphics are much better done and the content "curated" more than many online publications or posts. There are many exceptions of course but in general that is still the case. That said if you treat any medium with though and care including the visuals then the differences are much less. Regarding content there is no contest. Online wins in regards to immediacy, feedback and updates.