• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is Bib causing my upper body to be really warm?

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
update

I just skied last week for the first time this season. I got in 3 days in at Diamond Peak 12/27, 29 & 30.

I wore my same setup except for the bib:

A long sleeved merino bled dri release with freshguard 84% polyester, 11% merino wool and 5% spandex shirt (made by paradox) , and a lightweight but warm jacket, a Lands End, shell 100% nylon, body lining 100% polyester, sleeve lining 100% nylon, sleeve insulation 65% polyolefin 35% polyester.

Instead of the bib I wore Gerry insulated ski / snowboard pants. I was not hot at all, and the weather was alot warmer last week as compared to my visits last season.

I did notice that my cotton underwear briefs were a bit damp in the back in the tailbone and above area from perspiration. Now I guess I need to find a solution for this.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
It sounds like you need to rethink your whole setup. A few thoughts.

Make sure you have a helmet with adjustable vents. Open vs closed is a big difference in overall warmth. Close them on a cold lift, open at the top.
Uninsulated shell jackets and bibs with pit and thigh are the next steps. These give you breathability and you can layer under to adjust for different temps.
You need a no cotton rule, even underwear. I like merino, but there are lots of options.
Unless it is in the teens or lower, I never wear insulated bottoms under the uninsulated shell bibs. I do wear compression tights though.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even Target sells synthetic, wicking underwear. So, It’s easy to keep the cost down.

Point two, if you START getting warm, unzip, open cuffs, remove hats or neck gaiters, etc, anything to cool you down BEFORE you get sweaty.

I have frequently skied in 50F, sunny weather, it’s not uncommon at all. Do you have a thin windbreaker you could use for the really warm days?