• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interesting take on rear entry boots and boot comfort vs performance

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I found this article by chance and though it made some very interesting points while discussing the fate of rear entry ski boots that totally apply to today.

https://www.realskiers.com/revelations/rear-entry-boots-now-need/

Ease of entry and boot comfort (or lack thereof) are two of the biggest complaints I hear from older recreational skiers and newcomers and this article touches on that.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If it is cold out, I have to wait 10-15 minutes to get my boots off. It feels like my foot is going to break. I don't really get why there isn't some design to address both the performance and the removal issue.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My boots cold are easier to get off than they are to get on when they are warm, but I think it is more about the shape of my foot and high instep than the boot itself.

Some boots are being designed these days with ease of entry/exit in mind.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great article. The options we no longer have are discouraging.

At least Full Tilt resurrected the Raichle racers - with modern improvements. They are easy to get into and perform quite well. Not quite rear entry but a modern option.

Eric

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But...the only reason we ski is for the indescribable pleasure of getting those boots off.

Getting them off feels good... but I like taking my knee braces off even more! I guess I get a two-fer every time I ski.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Cabrios are pretty easy to get out off.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Cabrios are pretty easy to get out off.

Like the Dalbello's? Gotta try a pair for sure.

I have tried a BUNCH of boots lately (I have not posted about it because fit is very unique to each person) and my Lange RS130's (worked by SBS in Vail) felt the best once in them and also the flex felt the best. They did not have to mod the shell at all so its just footboard, custom insole and liner mods. But they do make big difference in fit and performance. I really can live with putting them on and off even if it takes a bit of work but I know quite a few people that won't.

Another interesting comment in the article is this one:

"“On balance, the European, under-booted, over-skied skier is happier than the over-booted, under-skied American.” Translation: European skiers by and large ski on softer, recreational boots and expert-level skis, while Americans are coaxed into stiffer, high performance boots but ski on less precise recreational skis."

I mean, I do not know if it holds true but it raises an interesting point, which has been discussed in other threads but not at depth, the importance of matching the boot to the skis (along with the skier obviously).

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I came to skiing in the mid 90s when rear entry boots were already on their way out... all I ever heard was how despised they were, but the article seemed to indicate that they have their devotees.

So what was the deal? They seem to be loved because they’re easy on / off, but why were they hated?

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I came to skiing in the mid 90s when rear entry boots were already on their way out... all I ever heard was how despised they were, but the article seemed to indicate that they have their devotees.

So what was the deal? They seem to be loved because they’re easy on / off, but why were they hated?

I remember using the Salomon SX's in the late 80's but dont remember their performance. I do remember they were very easy to put on, take off and walk on them (open). The skis were pretty bad then so that was the biggest issue to me back in the day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My boots fit awesome, while getting them off can be a task, once they are off, my feet still feel good. Now, Bike shorts, when I get them off I feel soooo much better.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ignorance is bliss! The first really good fitting boots I ever had were Hansons at age 15-16. The only reason I got rid of them is because they didn't play well with Spademan butterflies. As I get older though, I'm heading over to the comfort over performance side of the spectrum. Yes, I know very high performance boots can fit very well and be pretty damned comfortable... for high performance boots. The forward lean alone bothers me more than any other pain points when everything else feels great.

I have faith though... because I know we are in the cusp of a whole new level of comfort as boot sole technology and plastics allows us to drop the footbed down lower with a wider footprint at the ball of foot rather than having everything wedged down on to a 2.5" wide plank.... and with rockered soles as well. What I've seen recently is definitely what I'm looking for when it's time to replace my current boots down the road. Don't care if that will also require binding changes either.. As for the forward lean, I've opted to go with a boot quiver,, race boots for special days and more all mountain and park focused boots for everyday... long days for fun stuff..

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the cabrios also. I have Dalbellis and they are fairly easy on and off. My 4 buckle Tecnica Diablo’s we’re super easy also. I had a rear entry Salomon back in the late 80’s. I don’t remember the model. I wasn’t a strong enough skier then to have noticed a performance difference. I got rid of them after a couple of years because they were too big.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My long-held theory is that a big part of the demise of rear entry boots i the late 80s was that nobody but Salomon could make one worth a damn, and they sold the dickens out of them, which led other manufacturers to push the idea that "real" skiers don't ski rear entry boots.

When I moved on, I did notice a slight performance increase from my SX91s, but it did not make up for the initial downsides. In fact, I continued to use my SX91s for another decade of climbing and bagging PNW volcanoes because they were light, with adjustable flex, and you could clip a set of crampons onto them in seconds.

My current theory is that while skis of that era took some real horsepower to "drive", I bet a pair of slightly modernized SX91s would be all I'd need with today's ridiculously easy to pilot parabolic skis.

Also, get off my lawn!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I skied a pair of Raichle rear entry boots. The fit and flex matched me perfectly. That's why I liked them. Plus, they lasted well and I was able to adjust the fit easily.

When I switched to Lange boots, I got the performance that matched the rear entry boots but it took a lot of work to get acceptable comfort.

I did also buy some other rear entry boots that were horrible. Rossignol, I think. Never got them to fit or flex right. Soured me on rear entries. But I've had some horrible conventional boots as well.

My wife loved her Salomon rear entry boots. The darn ski shop guys talked her into new boots which she struggled with until she got her Full Tilts. Note that she wasn't that happy with the Full Tilts until she got the liners cooked and orthotics (thanks to Buck at Olympic Boot Works).

There is no magic for or against rear entry boots. Just get them to match your needs. The Intuition liners and multiple easy on boots available now (Dalbello and Full Tilt for sure have lots of choices) have made a rear entry boot less critical.

Eric

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I skied a pair of Raichle rear entry boots. The fit and flex matched me perfectly. That's why I liked them. Plus, they lasted well and I was able to adjust the fit easily.

Eric
I had Raichle rear entries as well. Loved them!!! Could crank the knob in the AM, never think about them again. Of course, I never thought about performance. They were easy to get in and out of, Kept my feet warm and fit perfectly. Unfortunately, the top (only) buckle broke on a trip and we were back to four buckle boots by then.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Don't forget the Rosemounts... Side entry!
Not even a plastic boot that changed with temperature, The construction was resin and fiber. The boot was always easy to enter or exit.

Or the Riachle "Red Hots", with a "split" down the middle ;-)

Fast forward to "the present" .
Though I hold dearly to my old pair of Head World Cups, made after the purchase from (damn, can't recall..)
I skied Scarpa Denali 3 piece, because they were so comfortable, and could be put on or off without drama. The real reason is the slip resistant sure grip Vibram sole!
Now I ski Dalbello 3 piece in the Lupo and the Sherpa. They offer as much performance as I can ever need, along with comfort and convenience.

If I may add, Based on the referenced articles, I'm long tired of 20-30 year olds telling me that I need a 130 rated ski boot in order to ski .

I don't!

I've cut the ridiculous and objectionable stiffness out of the Lupos, and find them most tractable.

Any trail, any condition, any time!

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Article makes some solid points. Even the cabrios are no easy trip on/off.

Why is it that the Slalom length for a Woman is 155 & 165 for a Man - yet the rental fleet is overwhelmed with sizes?

People don’t want complex- just look at the average skier, he’s just looking to not make a fool of himself in front of his kids.

I say bring em back, with GripWalk :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife loved her Salomon rear entry boots. The darn ski shop guys talked her into new boots which she struggled with until she got her Full Tilts.

Same experience. My wife skied her SX91s until they broke in maybe 1997?

From then, it took here until last year's heated, molded Salomons to get a boot she liked as much.

Crazy.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
00C6F867-7476-4D1E-839E-0753CB3256BC.jpeg

Chatted this guy up today - he was skiing Bonafides :)