• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Tell them I’ll consult for a jacket

They might need it! They actually said that their warmest Men's jacket would probably be the Theo ... which I find odd since it has 60 grams of Primaloft Silver insulation compared to the 100 grams of Polartec Alpha in the Highlands.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
They might need it! They actually said that their warmest Men's jacket would probably be the Theo ... which I find odd since it has 60 grams of Primaloft Silver insulation compared to the 100 grams of Polartec Alpha in the Highlands.

Not surprising. I wear my Rab strats when skiing beneath a thin base layer and a shell when it gets to 10* and lower No way I could ski in a traditional insulated piece as I just build up too much sweat; once I get back on the loft, I freeze With the Alpha, it moves moisture so well I don’t get nearly as sweaty and I just don’t need all that heat retention. Although it claims to self adjust, I don’t find it all that warm in very cold environments when just standing around. For just walking around town, I use a traditional down jacket (Big Agnes) shovleheqd or their belay jacket for those 2-3weeks when it’s at or below zero.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I just got a Strafe Exhibition jacket which is 60g of insulation vs the 100g in the Highlands. Both have the 3L Polartec Neoshell and the Polartec Alpha. I really really like it so far and could feel the difference doing top to bottom runs the other day at ABasin...stayed less sweaty for sure. It was mid 20s and all I had on under it was a Patty midweight cap.

However, on the upper third of the mountain, where it was upper teens and there was wind (probably 20-25 mph, so about 0° windchill), I found because of the breathability of the jacket, I was pretty cold. I could feel it coming in.

I'm concerned I will be uncomfortable later this season on days when it's between 5 and 20, even with an added midlayer. I have a Patty R1 and a Black Diamond midlayer jacket that's similar to the Arcteryx Atom and has a pertex wind proof shell. I will obviously try these out and see if they help with that temp range but I want to see if I should be looking for a different insulated hardshell jacket that's wind proof to begin with?

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yep, you need to have a wind proof outer shell no doubt.

Would a windshirt under the jacket help (the pertex BD synthetic puffy mentioned above or a Marmot Driclime windshirt)?

As for another insulated jacket - I'm overwhelmed by what's out there. Should I be looking for, at a minimum, goretex with about 60g of synthetic insulation?

Thank you.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Putting a non breathable wind shirt under a jacket will negate the ability to absorb/wick and transport sweat. Which gets you back to having too much moisture build up leaving you cold when you are standing or sitting on the lift. A 3 layer outer shell of gore-Tex pro ,eVent or neoshelll will allow this transfer to occur This is why I like to layer beneath a shell. To some degree I prefer a 3 layer gore-Tex shell for Uber cold days since it doesn’t breath as well (but still well-enough) paired with a Alpha or similar insulating layer. My go to is a Freeride antero Plus 3layer neoshell with the Strata and that works fine for most days. If there are high winds, I have a antero II softshell (the black cherry color) which is gore windstopper so that’s a bomber shell. Note, you don’t need water proof materials for Colorado/Utah/Wyoming winters. 10k rating with a good DWR.is plenty.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got this at REI for $200 but haven't worn it yet. It's got 65g in the sleeves so the torso part must be pretty warm. I usually use a shell but figured I try something different. https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_it/pete-jacket-62626

Stowe in March was the coldest day of the year for me -10 with 40 mph wind. I bought a bunch of wool/spandex duofold shirts on sale about 15 years ago. With a shell and midlayer you can pretty much add as many duofolds as you need.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Putting a non breathable wind shirt under a jacket will negate the ability to absorb/wick and transport sweat. Which gets you back to having too much moisture build up leaving you cold when you are standing or sitting on the lift. A 3 layer outer shell of gore-Tex pro ,eVent or neoshelll will allow this transfer to occur This is why I like to layer beneath a shell. To some degree I prefer a 3 layer gore-Tex shell for Uber cold days since it doesn’t breath as well (but still well-enough) paired with a Alpha or similar insulating layer. My go to is a Freeride antero Plus 3layer neoshell with the Strata and that works fine for most days. If there are high winds, I have a antero II softshell (the black cherry color) which is gore windstopper so that’s a bomber shell. Note, you don’t need water proof materials for Colorado/Utah/Wyoming winters. 10k rating with a good DWR.is plenty.

It looks like my BD Hybrid Access is similar to the Strata...I'm thinking because it's breathable, it'll work the same way?

Is the Antero 2 too warm for 25° and over days?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I not familiar with the BD products. Sorry! Antero II is a softshell jacket so you could wear that with just a base layer tee and you should be fine. Take a look at the site for what each is made from. Most ant II’s are neoshell. Great stuff.

http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/antero-ii-jacket-bright-red-hybrid-polartec-made-in-colorado

Here's what I'm not getting: the Antero 2 is a softshell with Neoshell? And it would be warm enough? Why would it be any different than the Strafe Exhibition?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Here's what I'm not getting: the Antero 2 is a softshell with Neoshell? And it would be warm enough? Why would it be any different than the Strafe Exhibition?

The material is backed by a nice fleece. Take a look at the product description. Also, if you like the product (not pushing you there) the black cherry color is Gor windstopper and that’s gonna be Pretty bomber. There are plenty of other jackets out there that will Work though. Arc Teryx Sabre is actually pretty similar. Not as thick. Patagonia untracked jacket Etc. Why not try what ya u have with a thicker base layer. You could go super thin base layer with a r-1 and then that strafe.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
The material is backed by a nice fleece. Take a look at the product description. Also, if you like the product (not pushing you there) the black cherry color is Gor windstopper and that’s gonna be Pretty bomber. There are plenty of other jackets out there that will Work though. Arc Teryx Sabre is actually pretty similar. Not as thick. Patagonia untracked jacket Etc. Why not try what ya u have with a thicker base layer. You could go super thin base layer with a r-1 and then that strafe.

^^^ CO Freerides look awesome. Definitely interested.

I will try that (R1 with thin base).

Still confused why the CO Freeride description of the Neoshell says wind proof though.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Neoshell is 99,99% windproof. It feels colder because it can dump more heat than other materials. Also, the 3layer hardshell is very thin but the antero II uses the neo and bonds it to the softshell fleece backing.

I’m tagging Kyle at Freeride Systems. @TheBestSkier

http://polartec.com/product/polartec-neoshell

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Random question but: what would you consider an insulated jacket? Anything that's not a pure shell, even if it's a light bit of fleece on the inside?
What's the optimal amount of insulation? I see many have about 60g of primaloft or alpha, but others, like the Patty Rubicon, have 150g. Seems like a lot to me.
I guess I'd think 60g is more versitle with a wider temp range?

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, how would you compare a Patty insulated Snowshot to the Strafe Exhibition? Is H2No with 60g of Thermogreen Insulation going to be warmer?
Thanks.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone have experience with the Patagonia Powder Bowl (insulated)? Nice and toasty?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Anyone have experience with the Patagonia Powder Bowl (insulated)? Nice and toasty?

I got the women's version this season. Wore it for the first time this weekend, both on a cold, clear day and on a cold, windy, puking snow all day day. Now, the trick is that I also got a new cold weather midlayer, and I don't know how much that plays in. But what I can say is that I felt toasty and did not feel the wind.

(The midlayer is a Montbell heavy fleece - the Climaplus 200. It in itself is much toastier than the fleeces I had been using, so it's hard to tell which was the decider. https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25016&p_id=2306108&gen_cd=2 )

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
https://shop.flylowgear.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/quantum-pro-jacket?variant=47189384964
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.24.12 AM.png

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got the women's version this season. Wore it for the first time this weekend, both on a cold, clear day and on a cold, windy, puking snow all day day. Now, the trick is that I also got a new cold weather midlayer, and I don't know how much that plays in. But what I can say is that I felt toasty and did not feel the wind.

(The midlayer is a Montbell heavy fleece - the Climaplus 200. It in itself is much toastier than the fleeces I had been using, so it's hard to tell which was the decider. https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25016&p_id=2306108&gen_cd=2 )
It's the fleece.

Sponsor

Staff online