• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Infrared Hot Waxing

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you are trying to crayon harder waxes point pressure works well as stated, but I prefer to quickly warm the block on the iron and swipe immediately, then repeat until the base is sufficiently covered. Warm, swipe, repeat, warm, swipe repeat...each swipe will usually only cover 6-12" of base depending on the wax.

This process, even with your regular waxes is more efficient and had less waste that dripping.

WAXMAN

Booting up
Skier
Just wondering what are people's experience, opinions, knowledge of infrared waxing? How new is this technology?

The tuning shop that is part of the demo centre where I work just got a Wintersteiger Wax Future infrared heat lamp hot waxing machine.

View attachment 5781

Wax is rubbed on the ski fairly heavily and then the machine is set to make 4 round trip passes over the up turned skis. No scraping is needed, just brush and buff and in the shop's case with a Wintersteiger power roller.

With infrared technology the heat and supposedly the wax penetrates deep into the ski. I have a infrared carbon panel dry sauna and the manufacturer claims that there are health benefits to the deep penetrating infrared sauna heat.

This system is great for a ski shop as compared to iron in waxing, the infrared system uses less wax and way less labour (no scraping or clean up) but does it really do a better job than iron in waxing?
If you go by the local paint shop, you will find them drying auto paint with them. They have been around for a long time.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
Override thermo control. Set to two passes with hot return off. Initial cold crayon the ski. Chase the ir on first pass with a second crayon. Let cool, and two passes No hot return. Adjust speed to wax hardness. That's the minimum I would process skis in for a ir wax service. Two days of durability on manmade snow is end result, similar performance as ironing.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
According to the ski techs, they think it is about $10,000CDN. That is cheap for a Wintersteiger machine but not exactly DIY friendly.
What are you talking about, they have retro sun lamps on Etsy for under $225. Just put one of these on a treadmill at low speed and you are good to go
1704815791412.png

It even has a built in timer so you are good to go lol

TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
What are you talking about, they have retro sun lamps on Etsy for under $225. Just put one of these on a treadmill at low speed and you are good to go
View attachment 220911
It even has a built in timer so you are good to go lol
In the past I have purchased an infrared bulb and done hand held passes....it didn't work too well, as in uneven wax melting.

Sponsor

Staff online