• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I'm in need of a new ski, boot and binding to match my particular needs

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I NEED to ski like this

enjoy ;-)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
22 views, and not a comment about how "modern equipment" makes such impact on enjoyment.
I can only feel that there is a profound denial in the entire effort.

Tuesday next, is "founders day" at my local "bump". $12 lift tickets . All the "yocals" will be out. I can hope we would have bottomless, But the forecast suggests only an inch or two.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
22 views, and not a comment about how "modern equipment" makes such impact on enjoyment.
Depending who you are, you can credit or blame modern powder skis for opening up the whole mountain.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Depending who you are, you can credit or blame modern powder skis for opening up the whole mountain.

Out of curiosity, why didn't they make wider skis back in the day? Obviously there's more to a powder ski than width, but wouldn't it have helped?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
The High Sparrow had declared anything wider than 68mm to be heresy.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
The High Sparrow had declared anything wider than 68mm to be heresy.

How could I forget the naked walk of shame through the footpaths of Sun Valley of the poor fool who made the first pair of 72mm skis.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Out of curiosity, why didn't they make wider skis back in the day? Obviously there's more to a powder ski than width, but wouldn't it have helped?

They did make some fat skis back in the day. Fischer Fats in the late 1970s were not a success.

Mike Weiggle Heli Skiing had Atomic Fatboy skis for their guests in the 1980s.I bought a used pair from them in the early 90s. The Fatboys pre dated shaped skis and were so wide that the bindings were mounted offset, creating a left and right ski. I nicknamed the skis "The Cafeteria Trays" because that is what they skied like.:nono: They went to a ski swap after one season of my ownership.

The guides used a ski called Atomic Heli-Guide and word was that it had flex characteristics similar to that of a 2x4.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I wonder what Alf was riding? From the video, What ever he was on was very very good!
IMHO

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
No guesses or opinions regarding the equipment?

Historians! Where are you in this time of need? ;-)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
They did make some fat skis back in the day. Fischer Fats in the late 1970s were not a success.

Mike Weiggle Heli Skiing had Atomic Fatboy skis for their guests in the 1980s.I bought a used pair from them in the early 90s. The Fatboys pre dated shaped skis and were so wide that the bindings were mounted offset, creating a left and right ski. I nicknamed the skis "The Cafeteria Trays" because that is what they skied like.:nono: They went to a ski swap after one season of my ownership.

The guides used a ski called Atomic Heli-Guide and word was that it had flex characteristics similar to that of a 2x4.

I can testify that the Volkl Explosiv with the CMH (Canadian Mountain Holidays) Heli graphic ski quite well. SPANKY is how I review them.

Sponsor

Staff online