• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hirscher's Ankle Fracture Aug 17

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah things changed next day... now it's 12-15weeks with Soelden already canceled for him and most likely also Levi. It depends what Svindal will do and in how great shape he will come back, but I somehow doubt after basically missing 2 whole seasons, and at his age, Svindal will be real contender for overall so even with missing Soelden and Levi, I would say Hirscher still have realistic chances for yet another overall globe. But the question is how things will be with new GS skis now and how he and rest of guys will take on this.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Latest reports suggest that he will be out for up to 15 weeks. Apparently he decided not to have surgery because he didn’t want to take the risk that a plate might affect the fit of his boot.

Oh, oh, if this is correct, which I have no reason to doubt, it is really bad news for Hirscher, Austria, and WC fans. It goes to show the narrow line between being on track and suddenly offline. Also the role luck plays in any endeavor, sport or otherwise. Hoping for the best.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Now I get it. According to his doctor, he will likely be in the cast for six weeks, and THEN, they are estimating another nine weeks, for a total of 15 from the date of the injury, for him to return at full strength.

Sounds like they are talking about a potential return at Val D'Isere, which has sounded logical since the news broke.

The thing that threw me for a loop was the discussion of casting it versus surgery with a plate. Has not picked up that it was that bad a break.

Best of luck to MH for a quick and solid recovery. Still has to be the favorite for yet another overall WC, IMO. The guy is "a beast."

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Luckily, it is the lateral malleolus--part of the fibula that is considered the non-weight-bearing bone (as opposed to the tibia). While he appears to be in a plaster cast right now, hopefully he will move to a removable walking cast soon.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now I get it. According to his doctor, he will likely be in the cast for six weeks, and THEN, they are estimating another nine weeks, for a total of 15 from the date of the injury, for him to return at full strength.

Sounds like they are talking about a potential return at Val D'Isere, which has sounded logical since the news broke.

The thing that threw me for a loop was the discussion of casting it versus surgery with a plate. Has not picked up that it was that bad a break.

Best of luck to MH for a quick and solid recovery. Still has to be the favorite for yet another overall WC, IMO. The guy is "a beast."
There was a lightbulb moment for me too.
:doh:Doh!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just so happens I had the EXACT same injury in 1995. I was in a training course at night getting ready for a beer league race on a pair of Volkl 207 RS Super, It was Zero degrees out and I did not have my boots buckled down very tight. I caught a tip on a gate with my right ski. Ski did come off, but not sure what caused the snap in my Fibula very close to the lower end. (lateral Malleous) May have been the toe of my boot catching the snow. WE had a trip planned to Mt. Bachelor in a few weeks with my wife and boys ( They were 9 and 6 at the time) well I was back on snow in about 5 weeks. I didn't need surgery or really any treatment as the bones were not displace. I had to ice the hell out of my foot to get in my boot. (Tecnica Explosion 8) Once in my boot and buckled down all that support felt great, in fact better than out of the boot. Had a great vacation skiing, I think I even ran the pay course at Bachelor!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just so happens I had the EXACT same injury in 1995. I was in a training course at night getting ready for a beer league race on a pair of Volkl 207 RS Super, It was Zero degrees out and I did not have my boots buckled down very tight. I caught a tip on a gate with my right ski. Ski did come off, but not sure what caused the snap in my Fibula very close to the lower end. (lateral Malleous) May have been the toe of my boot catching the snow. WE had a trip planned to Mt. Bachelor in a few weeks with my wife and boys ( They were 9 and 6 at the time) well I was back on snow in about 5 weeks. I didn't need surgery or really any treatment as the bones were not displace. I had to ice the hell out of my foot to get in my boot. (Tecnica Explosion 8) Once in my boot and buckled down all that support felt great, in fact better than out of the boot. Had a great vacation skiing, I think I even ran the pay course at Bachelor!
Its crazy how a ski boot can act like a cast, eh?

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Someone posted this today on FB. Still points towards a Val D'Isere return as we thought all alone. Can't confirm as I don't have Austrian radio :)

In the radio in Austria they just said, that Hirscher’s comeback gonna be later. He had troubles with the ankle, so only 3 days on snow, not enough even for him. So it looks like no Levi for him and they said, it’s also unlikely that he will fly to North America for one race. So they expect him to have his first race in Val d’ isere

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think that makes sense. I would not be surprised if he comes to Summit/Eagle country to train, but skips the BOP GS. They seem to really love training there, particularly at Gold Peak {Vail}. I recall him expressing that many a time. I think they take good care of him. It's generally a better surface than the glacial stuff, and early season stuff in Europe. If it were just one start, yeah, I'd say slim chance.

Sponsor