• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has anyone sold their TDI back yet?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Scary stuff. Now I'm not feeling that bad about turning in the Jetta. Sounds like the Europeans are getting screwed. I'm not feeling the love from VW.

Would our 2014 Jetta have passed California standards with the fix?

It's OK, we cashed the fat check.

Eric

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did mine today. $23,177 for a 5-yr old Sportwagen w/60,000 miles. Paid another $1942 and drove out in a brand-new 4Motion. $1950 for a new and improved car didn't seem like a bad deal.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Your buyback valuations are crazy. Yep Euros getting sod all. Guess sometimes the treat of your over litigious society gets you a great deal.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did mine today. $23,177 for a 5-yr old Sportwagen w/60,000 miles. Paid another $1942 and drove out in a brand-new 4Motion. $1950 for a new and improved car didn't seem like a bad deal.

Wow, the mileage makes a big difference. I got $21k for a 2013 with 95k miles.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There was a huge drop from 2011 to 2010..even with 150K on my car, if it was a 2011, it would have been worth 3K more.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
There was a huge drop from 2011 to 2010..even with 150K on my car, if it was a 2011, it would have been worth 3K more.

Yeah, he's saying his car is 5 years old so I'm guessing 2012, mine was a 2013 but had 30k more miles so I'm going with miles on this one. Probably a higher trim level than mine too.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow, the mileage makes a big difference. I got $21k for a 2013 with 95k miles.

Yeah, we've got a 2012 Golf with only about 25k miles (we simply don't drive a lot, and this has been mostly a city car, we tend to take our Outback on trips because we either want the space or the AWD). I'm very happy with how the math works out with respect to the mileage. We're going to get around $25.5k for it. For what's currently a 5 1/2 year old car, there's no way I can complain about that.

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, 2012. Happy with the new car; decided not to go Alltrack b/c it was at least 2K more (no real deal on them) and lack of exterior cladding, cloth seats, and key didn't seem like much of a loss.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, 2012. Happy with the new car; decided not to go Alltrack b/c it was at least 2K more (no real deal on them) and lack of exterior cladding, cloth seats, and key didn't seem like much of a loss.
With the dog, I didn't want cloth plus the tan is too light and didn't want black again. As far as the cladding, one piece is already starting to come off, need to replace.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Did anyone see that VW is going to "invest nearly $1 billion in California’s EV network as penalty for its diesel-emission cheating scandal." From http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/27/ev-charging-network-gets-800-million-spark-from-vw/

It's really 'only' $800M for "new, universal charging stations, a model “Green City” in Sacramento and education about zero-emission vehicles", but there is another "at least $381 million for cutting pollution"

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Submitted our "paperwork" online today. Remarkably easy so far.

We were going to hold it till mid-March 2018, but there's a cracked front axle boot and the rear breaks are getting low enough that they wouldn't make it that long. It's just not worth repairing it and getting whacked for another $ 450 to cover the additional mileage between now and then. Time to go :(

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Submitted our "paperwork" online today. Remarkably easy so far.

We were going to hold it till mid-March 2018, but there's a cracked front axle boot and the rear breaks are getting low enough that they wouldn't make it that long. It's just not worth repairing it and getting whacked for another $ 450 to cover the additional mileage between now and then. Time to go :(

I think the biggest cost to VW getting any of these back on the roads is the neglected condition a lot of them came back to the dealers in.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
We has our closing on Monday the 6th and the funds hit the bank today via electronic transfer. The whole process was just over and month and it went without a hitch. I was amazed at how easy it was. The closing itself took about 15 minutes and ALL the time filling out forms and gathering documets to send may have taken a few hours on our part. We did the entire process online except for the closing when we turned the vehicle over.

If you haven't turned yours over yet here is something to be aware of. As you may know they reduce the amount you receive by $ 150 for every 5000 miles over what they claim the national average is. (1042 a month). The first form you fill out asks for the present mileage. As we were told, if you turn it in in exactly a month and exceed 1042 a month mileage allotment, there is a penalty. (several hundred dollars). We did not get hit. It's best you add some mileage to that first form so long as it doesn't get you into the next 5000 mile bracket. That way you can put more miles than the 1042 a month and not get penalized.

My wife left the dealership with a big smile on her face.......me..........well, not so much.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
My local dealer now has 3 certified pre-owned 2012 and 2013 Sportwagon TDis for sale. Priced from 17k to 19k all with mileage in the mid 50s.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I started this thread and here we are. We got the "fix" done yesterday on on our 2014 Passat. I drove it a little last night and can't tell the difference power wise. It *may* stay in gear a little longer than before but I'm not even sure about that. They have to tell us mileage may be 34mpg now; if that's the case I'll be really pissed but I doubt it will drop that low. It should still be in the mid 40's, higher on the highway. We should see more AdBlue usage. Mileage reports to come when we track a tank.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I started this thread and here we are. We got the "fix" done yesterday on on our 2014 Passat. I drove it a little last night and can't tell the difference power wise. It *may* stay in gear a little longer than before but I'm not even sure about that. They have to tell us mileage may be 34mpg now; if that's the case I'll be really pissed but I doubt it will drop that low. It should still be in the mid 40's, higher on the highway. We should see more AdBlue usage. Mileage reports to come when we track a tank.
Well, if you are not happy with the fix, IIRC, you can still sell it back. But even at 34MPG...what are your options?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, if you are not happy with the fix, IIRC, you can still sell it back. But even at 34MPG...what are your options?
If it really drops that low I would have considered a new car. Maybe.

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:. This will be interesting. I'm 20K into a 2016 Golf 4Motion wagon and averaging 34-35 mpg driving around rural New England, using regular gas -- not higher-priced diesel. I'm happy with my decision.

Sponsor

Staff online