• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I am considering Freeflex bindings to mount on a new pair of Stockli Laser AX skis. However, between Tyrolia, Head and Fischer, there seem to be quite a number of different model names that I need help deciphering. I weigh less than 170 lbs.and am over 50, so I don't need any of the much higher DIN range bindings. Even with that, there are still a bunch of choices:

Freeflex Pro 11
Freeflex Pro 14
Freeflex Evo 11
Freeflex Evo 14
RC4 Z11 Freeflex
RC4 Z13 Freeflex

What, other than DIN range, is different between these offerings?

More generally, would there be a different binding choice recommended for the Laser AX?

Thanks!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know nothing about the bindings you mentioned but I have Attack 13 bindings on my Laser AX skis that were recommended by a couple people. I bought 78mm ones from ski essentials and they are perfect.

54-46

"Hold my beer - Watch this!"
Skier
Levelnine has the 16s for $94 and the 11s for $79. 11a would be lighter and have diagonal heel. 16s are sturdier and don't have the diagonal heel. How hard are you going after it?

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I definitely don't need a higher DIN binding like the 16 from the standpoint of weight, aggressiveness, racing, etc.

The 16's from L9 are 2013 model year, and the 11's are 2015 model year. What changes have taken place between then and current year models?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Go for the 16s rather than the 11 Matt, Better binding and flatter delta. I would position the 11 more as a junior/lightweight binding, although it is still a well built binding but @170# I would not put you on it

The RC4 Z11 and the Z13 are just the Fischer branded version of the 11 and 13 pro. The Evo versions have the newer Fischer/Tyrolia toe. you can also come across 17 variants plus the RD (race department) versions which have a micro screw rather than tab heel adjustment. The RD also comes in 18 and 20 variants

the 16 freeflex from L9 is a great deal for a quality binding and I would quite happily use it . The RDs are my favorite version for the more accurate forward pressure adjustment but not necessary for a recreational ski. No significant changes from 13 to 15 year except maybe some NGT. The EVO ones came in 16 MY IIRC (or 17 MY in some variants ) . the basic heel and toe design has been around for a significant time and is well proven and tested and still used at WC level (i have heard some athletes had issues with the Evo toe at first)

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Head owns Tyrolia and labels the bindings for the ski maker who contracts to buy the bindings from Head...Head, Fischer, 4frnt, Kästle, etc. I think the 11's have a slightly lower capability heel. I don't know why Scots wants a flatter delta. That's the difference in height between the heel & toe, and that's a personal thing. I ski my best ever on PRX12 with their 8 mm delta height. It's all about the individual skier's body geometry and their boot ramp angle and shaft angle.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like the Freeflex Bindings. You did not mention if you will be adding a plate to the AX skis or mounting the Freeflex Bindings flat. Many reviewers of the AX ski have liked to play with the moving the mounting point forward. With a plate you can adjust easily. Another option although higher priced could be the Head PRD/PRX12 Bindings. Lighter weight-Less stiffening to ski then plate-Easily adjusts boots sole length and For/Aft without tools. So many good options it gets confusing !!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another option although higher priced could be the Head PRD/PRX12 Bindings.
The new Tyrolia PRD 12 is actually a good option as as the Look Konect SPX12, two systems bindings that give some lift, can be moved fore and aft and are laterally rigid.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There’re also Elan-branded FF:s. They are designed for racing, but off course they work great for leisure skiing too. Difference is that what someone your size races might be total overkill for normal ripping. My daughter had Free Flex 11:s on her first race skis (130 cm Elan RCX Plates) in U10. Don’t know how and if it’s reccomendable to mount them w/o a plate. Have only have FF:s on a plate.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Another option although higher priced could be the Head PRD/PRX12 Bindings. Lighter weight-Less stiffening to ski then plate-Easily adjusts boots sole length and For/Aft without tools. So many good options it gets confusing !!!

The new Tyrolia PRD 12 is actually a good option as as the Look Konect SPX12, two systems bindings that give some lift, can be moved fore and aft and are laterally rigid.

I currently have a set of PRD12's on one of my skis and it has worked well ... what are the differences between the current PRD12 system and that of circa 2013, or thereabouts? If there has been a change in technology/construction, which model year(s) would be considered as having the "new" construction/technology?

James

Out There
Instructor
There's more to bindings than just Din ranges. Even though one skis at say Din 8, you would likely not want a Din 10 binding. Besides construction quality, higher Din bindings usually have much better clamping of the boot. Meaning they don't wobble as much under force. Lower Din bindings are often designed around ease of entry instead of clamping.

The reason everyone here wants Look to make the Pivot 15 again is it's built like the 18 but goes down to 6 Din. So it's quite usable for many. The 18 starts at 10.

This is an area where one should listen to people who know the specific bindings, not base decisions on Din numbers. Several years ago I was skiing a Marker M10 on a slalom ski. What does it matter, I ski at 8 usually. I came in talking about how on steep slopes it feels like it's wobbling. When I showed him the set up, the shop guy laughed. " I have race coaches who won't let their 70 lb kids ski on that binding. You weigh 200!" So.. I got an M16, still set at 8. Much better clamping. Besides the construction, the way the toe lug is held down is different.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
There’re also Elan-branded FF:s. They are designed for racing, but off course they work great for leisure skiing too. Difference is that what someone your size races might be total overkill for normal ripping. My daughter had Free Flex 11:s on her first race skis (130 cm Elan RCX Plates) in U10. Don’t know how and if it’s reccomendable to mount them w/o a plate. Have only have FF:s on a plate.
I have FF17+ mounted flat on a pair of Volants. It was not a problem to mount flat.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
For the folks who suggested the PRD12 as a possibility, are they changed for '18?

If I want to go with an adjustable binding, what are the pros/cons of the PRD12 vs. the Attack 13 demo?

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the folks who suggested the PRD12 as a possibility, are they changed for '18?

If I want to go with an adjustable binding, what are the pros/cons of the PRD12 vs. the Attack 13 demo?

Thanks.
Yes, it is changed for 2018 with Gripwalk/Gripwalk compatible

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Levelnine has the 16s for $94 and the 11s for $79. 11a would be lighter and have diagonal heel. 16s are sturdier and don't have the diagonal heel. How hard are you going after it?

The toe in particular in the 11 is very different and much lighter than the 16. If the 16 covers your DIN setting, it's not a hard choice.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Does anyone know where I can find a good deal on the PRD 14 bindings? They seem like a good compromise for the various features I'm looking for.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid