• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
hahaha....I here ya, but I dont know about that. Bad chili is bad regardless. But chili is usually one thing you can count on for being at least "ok" tasting. It may not be great but usually its at least ok. That doesn't mean I havnt occasionally had my share of bad ones. But its amazing what fresh chopped onions can do to fix just about anything...lol
I agree. But after so many years as a broke student I find the best seasoning is the word "FREE". Now that's tasty grub as long as I'm not paying for it and didn't have to cook it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A fast food meal costs $8 these days so as long as the chili costs less than $10 I'm happy. We usually pack our own food and beverages anyways.

Eat at 11 and ski at noon to avoid the crowds, or pack your lunch and eat somewhere mid mountain.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A fast food meal costs $8 these days so as long as the chili costs less than $10 I'm happy. We usually pack our own food and beverages anyways.

Eat at 11 and ski at noon to avoid the crowds, or pack your lunch and eat somewhere mid mountain.

The most expensive fast food option is $8. The cheapest lodge option is :roflmao: .... It all depends on the parking and logistics. I brown bag on days when I expect a short walk from the lot to the base. I go chili cheese fries (like you before 11:30) when I'd rather not carry another thing a long way or via shuttle bus from the car.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know it's not a fancy a$$ ski resort out west or one of the big ones up north but I like the Bullwheel at the summit of Mount Snow. Nice menu, Chelsea the bartender always takes great care of ya with a great beer selection and the occasional sample of something if she has some extra. For apre ski I love the Station House Tap room upstairs of the main lodge at the base of mount snow. A ton of brews on draft and an excellent IPA selection.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe.

Spruce Camp - has the best ski food in all of new england. Prices havent risen under vail at all. The only place I have ever skied with better food is Snowbasin , and I have skied at Deer Valley.

Octogon - is good and convenient for Mansfield skiers.

I never go mansifield base, or midway for food.

Bonus and actually cheaper as well is the skinny pancake in the spruce plaza.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't generally eat at the mountain. I got out of the habit when ownership changed for the restaurant at the top of Aspen mountain and they no longer had their delcious split pea soup.

At Sun Valley, food at the roundhouse is gourmet quality with prices to match. The lookout restaurant at the top of the main mountain now specializes in tacos at moderate prices and seems to be popular. I couldn,t say about the Seattle Ridge restaurant and the River Run and Warm Springs base lodge restaurants.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, now I’m dreaming of the grilled cheese and tomato soup at Incline at Copper. My favorite soup and grilled cheese anywhere. Good bartender that is a friend of Pugs.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our local bump is overpriced, overly crowded, and lacking in decent choices. Truthfully, Southern Californians seem to have a thing about afternoon skiing. That is when Snow Summit gets crowded. It's very manageable in the morning. So we ski until about 12:30-1:00 and then go home for lunch. We used to really enjoy the fish and chips in the lodge by chair 2. When Mammoth took over, they got rid of all the usual food and brought in a subcontractor with terrible food and horrible customer relations. Now that KSL/Aspen bought it out ... maybe the food will get better or at least the employees will be nice.

Tnarg

Booting up
Skier
Baker has a mean Veggie Chili in a bread bowl. Perfect washed down with a nice cold one, and not too bad on the wallet either! Raven Hut is by far the best place on the mountain to stop for a break and warm by the fire. It's a cool hut, and I think the crowds stay down(sort of) because you have to hop back on a lift and ski back to a parking area, unless you want to boot it for quite a distance.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wife pleaded for years with the Killington food and beverage manger to give us adult food choices on the mountain. When the Peak lodge opened a few years back she got her wish. Chef Eric puts out some of the best food to found anywhere around. The Yurt is our second choice with a to die for Maple Milkshake that makes this hidden spot a must stop.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
3 ski areas on Mt Hood that I regularly go to. I usually bring my lunch and drink, as I hate to spend money.

Mt Hood Skibowl: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special. Mid-mountain warming hut has good beer and hot chocolate and it is a very nice cozy place especially for a night skiing break.

15419632_1878699439043132_2040715688874434705_o.jpg

Timberline Lodge: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special. The "Phlox Hut" is very special. They server outrageously good tacos that are very reasonably priced. The hut used to be owned by the Boy Scouts for overnight trips in the snow. I like this quote on "Yelp" that says it all:

This used to be the infamous stop for riders on the mountain to take a "safety break". Now it's turned into a taco and beer place with a great fireplace keeping the place warm. They have outdoor seating when the weather is nice out, and the employees seem happy to be in this new spot.

17097195_1920378754875200_7860118865437927244_o.jpg

o.jpg

Mt Hood Meadows: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
My most frequented resort is St. Anton. My go-to lunch is a schnitzel with fries and a large Coke, and that usually runs me about €20 in total. Given the size and quality of the food, I think that's ok relatively speaking.

The restaurants on the hill can get crowded by 12:30, so I try to sneak in just before 12:00 to make sure I can get a table, which always works.

Here's a photo of a standard schnitzel from one of the restaurants in St. Anton that I found on the interweb

schweineschnitzel.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m thinking I should just move to Nelson BC and have Whitewater as my home mountain. The ski area is co-owned by a gourmet chef and her husband and the food is outstanding and yet very inexpensive, just part of the funky locals’ vibe.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mostly we pack our own lunch. Saves a ton of money, especially with kids who often don’t eat everything they get at a restaurant.
We pack in a soft cooler and bury that in the snow somewhere near the base.
Last 3 years we have been skiing at Mary Jane. They have microwaves for ramen noodles, free hot and cold water. We make wraps and bring, fruit, veggies and cocoa mix. They usually have e ought room to, even on busy days.

Here in MN at Lutsen or Spirit Mtn, we also bring our own food most of the time.

If you want good on mountain food at decent prices go to Austria or Italy.
Due to the ‘resort model’ in the US, everything on. Mountain tends to be owned by the resort, which doesn’t exactly encourage competitive pricing and high quality. But even outside of resorts, restaurants in Aistria tend to be a bit cheaper than in the US.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
3 ski areas on Mt Hood that I regularly go to. I usually bring my lunch and drink, as I hate to spend money.

Mt Hood Skibowl: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special. Mid-mountain warming hut has good beer and hot chocolate and it is a very nice cozy place especially for a night skiing break.

15419632_1878699439043132_2040715688874434705_o.jpg

Timberline Lodge: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special. The "Phlox Hut" is very special. They server outrageously good tacos that are very reasonably priced. The hut used to be owned by the Boy Scouts for overnight trips in the snow. I like this quote on "Yelp" that says it all:

This used to be the infamous stop for riders on the mountain to take a "safety break". Now it's turned into a taco and beer place with a great fireplace keeping the place warm. They have outdoor seating when the weather is nice out, and the employees seem happy to be in this new spot.

17097195_1920378754875200_7860118865437927244_o.jpg

o.jpg

Mt Hood Meadows: Cafeteria food at base, nothing special.

that all just looks fake like something out of a Disney story book where everyone is happy and cozy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Buck Hill used to have The Bucket.. A Tex Mex place that had great marguritas and decent food. I think that may still be there..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn’t look at the prices in Black Mountain, but the price of food in the A-Frame went up quite a bit since last season. Doubt I’ll buy a meal in the lodge and damn sure I won’t in 6th Alley.
Black Mountain was still priced like last year when we skied there in October.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Vail and Beaver Creek have the best food, obviously not cheap. Steamboat is very good as well, maybe a notch down from Vail but as expensive. Breck is average to above average but expensive. ABasin can be OK and just a tad less expensive. Loveland, its ok and decently priced.

Sponsor