• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Curve GT as replacement for loved Rossi CX80s

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra
Replacement question: A much beloved pair of Rossignol CX80s delaminated last spring. Great, damp ski good in hardpack, powder, bumps. I have a chance to get a pair of Fischer GT 80s at a big discount through the local race team.

Would the Curv GTs be a fairly comparable replacement in terms of dampness, strength, similar versatility?
I like metal in my skis and enjoy a ski with heft and power.

Skis I own, like, and use: Nordica El Capos in 185 and 193; Rossi CS70 (165), Rossi Experience 100 (180), slalom and GS skis
Own and not sure I like much anymore: Fischer Progressor 9+ (175cm)--don't care for the "dual radius" design
Skied and liked: Nordica Fire Arrow GT EDT, Head Monster 88 (yr. 2016); Blizzard Bodacious and Bonafides
Meh: Rossi Pursuit 700 and Pursuit 800 series; Rossi 88 Experience; Blizzard Brahma (too much early rise); Volkl 86 RTM UVO in 177--way too damp and heavy, probably like better in 170cm; Volkl Code series is ok, but the rocker in the tail is a little weird, making it more dependent to surface conditions about when to press the tails for strong turn finishes.

The Head Titans sound interesting--but the deal is on the Curv GT 80s.
Never skied the Titans. Skied the new Blizzard Quatro 8.4Ti and they seemed "ok" to good.

California skier
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 180
Athletically fit (came in first on the local double century bike ride this past weekend)
Part time ski race coach, been involved with the race team for almost 10 years now, train with the masters occasionally, ski about 50 days a year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Coming from the CX80, I think your will like the Head bit more than the Rossi, just because of the shape and tip profile. the Head is much more simialr than the Fischer. The Fischer more gradual in the tip.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have the Curv GT, if I'm honest, it might not be the ski you are looking for. Absolutely rips on groomed, better than just about anything I've skied, good in pow (for what it is), but a handful in bumps. I'm not saying it can't be skied in bumps, I led bumps clinics on them last spring, but they'd be like my 5th choice for bump skiing. If bumps aren't that important to you, go for it, the ski rips. If they are important and you want a Fischer, get the Pro Mtn 86! Even in the Curv line, you could do better in the bumps on The Curv (just as stiff, but straighter) or the Curv DTX (.5mm titanal instead of .8mm and also a straighter shape than the Curv GT).

TS
Dadier

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra
I should have replied months ago, thank you Epic and Phil for your fast turnaround advice. I kinda didn't follow it and bought a mediocre substitute of the Head 83 for about $320 with bindings, new. Never could get the Titan to my price point. At Mammoth the 83 is fine, nothing special and could be more special with a bit more beef, wish the tip engaged sooner on hardpack but it is an ok fine ski in bumps, steeper pitch powder, junk.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was told by the Rossignol rep that the CX 80 has been reincarnated as this season's Rossignol HERO ELITE PLUS TI (same ski, different paint, different binding system).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Coolhand, wonderful news--So glad to hear about this reincarnation from the vaults.
It is not the same ski..it is the spiritual successor.

CX80: 124/80/113
Hero Elite Plus Ti: 130/78/110

Sponsor