• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast Skier, re-dedicated

BlueGrin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello all!

I'm 50, and after a lull of a few years (various reasons: a move to a new area, newborn, COVID, lack of fitness) where I was only able to get a day or two, if that, on the slopes, I'm finally able to dedicate time to my favorite hobby.

I've been on ski sites a bunch lately and keep finding myself ending up here for reviews and advice. After realizing that this was the spiritual successor to EpicSki (I mostly lurked there for years, I think under the same name), I figured I should sign up.

I've been skiing since I was 12 ('85 - started on straight skis, with rear-entry boots and pistol grip poles), but had a few gaps along the way. I've never been a perfect example of technique, but at my strongest, I was at least competent.

I have a couple of things I'll need advice on - getting my form back, how to progress my 5yo daughter's training, getting new gear to replace some of my aging stuff.

I suppose all of those will come in their own threads in due time, but for now, I wanted to just introduce myself.

Thanks!

TS
BlueGrin

BlueGrin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I grew up in the Hudson Valley, mostly at Belleayre and Hunter, and I went back a lot a lot from '06-'17 when we lived in NYC. My folks still live nearby, and they'll always be home to me.

We always make an annual trip or two to Mont Tremblant with my wife's family, who has a house there.

Over the years, we usually mix in one long weekend with friends at Whiteface, Stowe, Killington, or Stratton. A close friend has a house in Lake Placid, and another family friend has a house in Park City, but we haven't taken advantage of either of those yet.

We moved to western NY a few years ago, and have just started exploring the local hills (Kissing Bridge, Holiday Valley) for my daughter's lessons this year. Underwhelming, but no such thing as a bad day on snow.

Sponsor