• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In for one (was lucky to jump in just as someone gave up their super early bird), and certainly willing to give it a try.

Ultimately, if this can provide 80% of the performance of a properly waxed (not a race tune, but regular, all season wax competently applied) ski over it's lifetime for a fraction of the money, time, and/or effort of waxing, it could make sense. $100 does seem a bit steep though. for what looks like four packets of compound (two each for the two parts) and an applicator of some kind. (Presumably this is reusable as well?)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be getting our samples soon and will be applying on our DPS demo skis.
I know another ski tech who is pretty skeptical and going to make a phone call to get his hands on some. Among many questions, one he has is, "what if you don't like it? You are then stuck with it in the base of that ski forever?" (I believe this was already asked above, too.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know another ski tech who is pretty skeptical and going to make a phone call to get his hands on some. Among many questions, one he has is, "what if you don't like it? You are then stuck with it in the base of that ski forever?" (I believe this was already asked above, too.)
That was a question I asked. No, go back to what you were using. No harm, no foul.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, it is one application. One set per ski.
Yes, going from the picture it's a two-part process and it looks like one "application" ($100) includes two packs of each component, presumably one each for each ski.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I predict that if this stuff works, then Durasurf (major manufacturer of base material) will treat the base layer at time of manufacture, and then deliver this to the ski manufacturers. The base material would have one side treated for ease of bonding to the ski during pressing, and one side treated with Phantom.

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, but this definitely falls into the, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, category. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but this is a little to gimmicky for me.
No disrespect intended (truly) but I doubt DPS would jeopardise it's hard one brand reputation by bringing a product to market that has no value.

There's every chance I'm wrong of course, but self interest (DPS' self interest) suggests that's unlikely.

I don't vouch for it though. I've never used it. A once off $100 application on a new pair of skis to save hours of waxing seems a reasonable trade off. You'd want to do it early in the life of the skis. You (seemingly) also wouldn't do it if you wanted optimal glide.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am a guy (like many of us here) that waxes and tunes regularly. From what I can gather - Phantom will not outperform my waxing efforts (since I do it regularly) but it will save me time - a skis lifetime in fact. Now I am all for innovation - But what it is really doing is cutting into my beer and bourbon drinking time while waxing - and that is unacceptable!

I will be interested to see the feedback from all that are going to test this out. I for one enjoy waxing and feel it is more art than science and is one of the long traditions of being a skier. I am not sure I would be willing to give up that tradition - maybe it is just me.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No disrespect intended (truly) but I doubt DPS would jeopardise it's hard one brand reputation by bringing a product to market that has no value.

The business world is littered with failures of products that happened when companies tried to extend outside their core competencies so the value of the DPS brand here is limited for the average consumer I think until the product is proven.

Also imagine all the claims are true and this is truly groundbreaking. How long before Big Wax or Big Ski buys up the business to get their hands on the patent? It's kinda the same risk as Renoun the indie business you love might innovate itself out of existence.

( Some hyperbole acknowledged as the ski industry isn't awash with the sort of f you cash that can be factor in other sectors)

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
"Your skis or snowboard will retain a glossy black appearance after a Phantom application. After thirty days or so of use, any base material will begin to look “dry” as snow abrasion starts take its toll. At this point, a stone grind will freshen the appearance to new."

Question is...does your base just look "dry" or does it actually slow down. A base grind every 30 days on skis? No thanks.

Right, like, that's a great way to cut longevity. (Maybe that's the idea?)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right, like, that's a great way to cut longevity. (Maybe that's the idea?)

DPS is not intending to say you have to grind your skis after 30 days of use. Their point is after 30 days of use and a grind, the "magic sauce" is still in the base and will continue working. They went 60 days of skiing without touching the base and it was still working. I guess DPS likes to grind their skis on a regular basis, they must be fussy skiers.

Here is a good write up on the new "magic sauce"
https://www.skimag.com/gear/dps-phantom-test

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a chemist so I did a quick SciFinder literature search on the Utah professor. Nothing yet on the "patent-pending breakthrough". The chemical structure shown on the Kickstarter site is not even a registered structure with Chemical Abstracts, so may be a red herring.

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
And if Phantom doesn't work, you could always try 'Juice', or 'Perma Juice' (to distinguish it from 'pocket juice', which seems similar to the Zardoz no-wax liquid teflon stuff used for topping up skis at lunchtime): http://looknowax.wixsite.com/juice/product-page/perma-juice

Seems like an almost identical sales pitch to me. I wonder if they're related? Or is an epic patent legal battle about to begin?

Still seems too good to be true, though.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm skeptical. So if you don't like it you just go back to waxing?? Problem with that is I supposedly just saturated my base with your product since it miraculously saturates the whole base and lasts for the life of a ski......a life you say is 4 years on your site.....(bullshit, 4 years is nothing unless you ski 100+ days a year and even then if properly maintained and kept out of the rock gardens is nothing) I skied my K2 Merlins for shit.....almost a couple decades and skied them right up until they became the centerpiece of a headboard I made for my son out of our old skis. Anyway, so now I'm stuck with your shit in my base and I hate it.....will you buy me new skis? Of course not. What if we discover that after a few years our bases start to disintegrate because of your shit being applied to them? Will you buy us all new skis? No, we will have to file a class action lawsuit. Why does a company like DPS need to do a $35,000 kickstarter? That is a major red flag to me. DPS needs to raise $35,000? Seems to me they should have that much capital available to them easily for something they are so passionate about...... They claim 1.3M in annual revenue and employ 20 people but need to fund raise $35K?? That stinks to me. I don't like it.

Like many others here I am happy to have a strong coffee early in the morning or a cold beer and work on my skis. I'm passionate about skiing, therefore I am passionate about my skis. It really only takes me as long as I want it to take me to get my skis tuned. Liking to race I like optimal glide. I don't own a dozen waxes. I own a couple and then use a couple overlays that are more moisture specific. I keep a rub on/cork on wax/overlay with me and a pocket side tuner. I'll hit the bar for a beer or two and cork in some wax and run the tuner a couple quick pulls down the edges in the middle of a long day. I often ski bell to bell. I've a wax, a cork, a gummi, a scotchbrite pad, towel, and edge tuner in my bag. If not with me, they're in the trunk.

With all of that said.....I won't be buying it anytime soon.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
And if Phantom doesn't work, you could always try 'Juice', or 'Perma Juice' (to distinguish it from 'pocket juice', which seems similar to the Zardoz no-wax liquid teflon stuff used for topping up skis at lunchtime): http://looknowax.wixsite.com/juice/product-page/perma-juice

Seems like an almost identical sales pitch to me. I wonder if they're related? Or is an epic patent legal battle about to begin?

Still seems too good to be true, though.

I just ran across this "juice" as well after browsing around. Interesting coincidence? I had never heard of this before! Had anyone else?

Sponsor