• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS Declares "Wax Is Dead"
Never wax again with Phantom permanent base glide treatment

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – November 1, 2017 DPS Skis, innovators of carbon skis and snowsports technologies since 2005, introduces Phantom – a permanent, one-time application base-penetrating formula that forever eliminates the need for waxing skis and snowboards. Available now through a 30-day Kickstarter campaign with special early bird pricing, the disruptive solution ushers in a new era for the future of snowsports.
DPS Phantom.png

“Phantom’s approach is a truly innovative scientific advancement. It’s a recipe that simply works day after day, tune after tune, and forever fundamentally changes our conception and approach to fast-running boards designed for daily use,” said Stephan Drake, founder and CEO of DPS Skis. “We came across a history of different alternative solutions attempting to solve the wax problem, but nothing was deemed competitive. We then began a developmental relationship with a group of top material scientists to research and attack the problem via an advanced free radical polymerization approach.”

Developed by a team of expert chemists and material science engineers, Phantom’s patent-pending formula creates a hydrophobic environment that offers three undeniable benefits. First, unlike wax, Phantom is only applied once and permanently alters ski and board bases to make them both faster and harder for the life of the product. Second, Phantom offers consistently fast on-snow gliding performance across a broad range of conditions and temperatures. Third, and most importantly, Phantom is made up of non-reactive chemical functional groups that are both inert to the environment and safe to those applying it – something that traditional waxes have never been able to achieve.

Initial research and development was extensive, with 50 compound variations having been explored and tested in both the laboratory and in the mountains of Utah, Chile and New Zealand. Lab results of the final formula correlated the hydrophobicity, coefficient of friction, shore hardness and full base penetration with test ski days in every condition, including manmade snow, midwinter groomed snow, fresh powder and warm spring snow.

For more information about Phantom, visit the Kickstarter page.

About DPS Skis
Located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains in Salt Lake City, Utah, DPS designs the world’s most advanced ski products by fusing space age carbon technology with groundbreaking shapes. DPS is responsible for the world’s first and only pure pre-pregnated carbon fiber sandwich ski, the first 120mm-waisted powder pintail, the first rockered ski with sidecut, the Spoon – a convex three-dimensional shoveled ski with radical edge bevel and Phantom, a paradigm-shifting permanent, one time application base-coating that forever eliminates the need for waxing skis and snowboards. DPS products are sold on five continents and are the trusted brand of choice for serious skiers worldwide. For more information visit www.dpsskis.com or call +1.801.413.1737.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Does it keep your edges from rusting like wax does?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Interesting. Look forward to field testing and reports.

Personally, at $100 / application that is a major investment for people with quivers that included skis that may only see snow 5 or 6 times a year. I could see it for your daily driver, or if you're a 100+ day skier a year.

At 40-50 days per year spread over 6 or so skis, would make no sense for me economically compared to waxing. A $20 bar of wax last me most of a season. But I also have less obsessive standard than some people.

Interested to see if DPS believes in this product so much, if it starts offering it stock on their skis from the factory.

Plus -- what the hell am I supposed to do when I need a break from the stresses of life if I can't retreat to the gear shed, crack open a beer and wax skis for the gajillionth time? Tune bikes in winter?

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
@crgildart I can't imagine it does. Sounds like the base penetration and longevity are the amazing things. And wax only protects edges until you ski it off, usually on the first run.

In any event, I signed up and look forward to trying it out.

The Dad

Skier
At 40-50 days per year spread over 6 or so skis, would make no sense for me economically compared to waxing. A $20 bar of wax last me most of a season. But I also have less obsessive standard than some people.

Interested to see if DPS believes in this product so much, if it starts offering it stock on their skis from the factory.
You need to account for the value of your time, too.

As for factory offering, the Kickstarter includes options for preapplied treatment on new DPS skis.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I'm confused by this statement

"non-reactive chemical functional groups"

If it's non-reactive, how does it stay attached to the base? Inert but permanently changes the base material?? I'll be watching from the cheap seats on this one - time will tell.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Several years back my brother inlaw and looked at something like this. Aerospace technology and information applied to skis.

Our research showed, it comes down to one thing no matter the science or technology, re-application is always required.

A lot of it comes down to: If you believe it works it does, if you don’t it won’t.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You need to account for the value of your time, too.

As for factory offering, the Kickstarter includes options for preapplied treatment on new DPS skis.

Missed that about the pre-application.

I think the sort of people who buy DPS skis and fancy base treatments probably have time far more valuable than mine. And personally, time spent tuning skis isn't a cost to me. I'm one of those folks who finds joy in maintenance of things.

The Dad

Skier
The claim is that it permeates the base, and survives stone grinding:

All skis and snowboards still need to be stone ground occasionally to establish an appropriate structure for specific snow conditions and temperatures while removing “hair” from abraded bases. Edges still need to deburred and sharpened. Base damage still needs to be repaired and maintained. Phantom addresses the base’s gliding surface exclusively.​

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm waiting for some questions that aren't answered if you actually read the supplied documentation. Like has anyone outside of DPS that I trust tested this over a season.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
"Your skis or snowboard will retain a glossy black appearance after a Phantom application. After thirty days or so of use, any base material will begin to look “dry” as snow abrasion starts take its toll. At this point, a stone grind will freshen the appearance to new."

Question is...does your base just look "dry" or does it actually slow down. A base grind every 30 days on skis? No thanks.

The Dad

Skier
It's not like I count days. But it's also not like I shy away from rocks. Generally, I grind due to base damage.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the idea because I actually like how my ski behaves two days after waxing and I don't like (not good enough to compensate for or enjoy) skiing freshly waxed skis, it still takes me a moment to acclimate. But, what if I don't like it, it doesn't sound like your can take it away.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I would like to see a video of the actual application process. I agree that a long-term test through the likes of @Pugski and/or Blister will go a long way to selling this product to those of us who are skiers (as opposed to people who ski) and worry about stuff like this.
I can't imagine that dealers who work on thin margins to begin with are going to be very happy about this development. The packaging of the products(s) look to be consumer-oriented. Plus the market price has been set. Is there going to be a wholesale price for dealers who want to offer this service?

Sponsor

Staff online