• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Always used the Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens for low light conditions. It was pretty consistently rated the best on the market for cloudy, snowy, flat-light situations. Smith is discontinuing this lens, however, and tried to replace it last year with the ChromaPop Storm (blue tint, 50% VLT). I tried it but didn't find it superior to my Blue Sensor Mirror (60% VLT). Apparently, Smith realized the problem and they are introducing a new ChromaPop Storm Yellow Flash lens (65% VLT) this year.

Did a back-to-back comparison in flat light/falling snow at Loveland today of my old Blue Sensor mirror and the new Chromapop Storm Yellow lenses. No contest. The ChromaPop technology worked as advertised in sharpening contrast (Oakley has a similar system in their Prizm line of lenses), and the yellow tint and increased light transmission created superb visibility. Blew the Blue Sensor mirror right out of the water. Highly recommended!

Best!
Mike

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great post.....I was wondering how that Smith yellow Chromapop would compare.

I had exact Smith (Blue Sensor) low light lens quiver of 1 for my IOX. Always got the job done on storm/flat light days.

Now I guess I’m getting the yellow Chromapop.

Thanks for the review!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Need to spend some time with them.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well now, that's interesting to hear. Curious to get a few more opinions first but I might have to spring for a lens to try it out. We certainly get our fair share of storm days and flat light here in WA.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i just got the chroma pop storm "rose flash". is it different than the previous storm lens?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had last year's Chromapop Storm and can attest to it having been a fail. Not sure I want to pay again for what Smith failed to deliver the first time so I'm inclined to stick with the Oakley Prizm Rose I've been using.

Last edited:

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Interesting. I'll have to do a head to head test of the new Smith chomapop yellow lens vs my Oakley prizms this year. Last year I was quite content to ski only with my jade prizim's in flat light/stormy/snowy days as well as bluebird sunny days. My wife skied exclusively with the rose prizim's and loved them for all light conditions.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm stocked for the season with blue sensor. Good to know for next season...

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Always used the Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens for low light conditions. It was pretty consistently rated the best on the market for cloudy, snowy, flat-light situations. Smith is discontinuing this lens, however, and tried to replace it last year with the ChromaPop Storm (blue tint, 50% VLT). I tried it but didn't find it superior to my Blue Sensor Mirror (60% VLT). Apparently, Smith realized the problem and they are introducing a new ChromaPop Storm Yellow Flash lens (65% VLT) this year.

Did a back-to-back comparison in flat light/falling snow at Loveland today of my old Blue Sensor mirror and the new Chromapop Storm Yellow lenses. No contest. The ChromaPop technology worked as advertised in sharpening contrast (Oakley has a similar system in their Prizm line of lenses), and the yellow tint and increased light transmission created superb visibility. Blew the Blue Sensor mirror right out of the water. Highly recommended!

Best!
Mike
Hmmmm.
I'll give them a try.
My Smith photochromic red sensor lenses are cracked anyhow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had last year's Chromapop Storm and can attest to it having been a fail. Not sure I want to pay again for what Smith failed to deliver the first time so I'm inclined to stick with the Oakley Prizm Rose I've been using.
Oakley has an even better low light Prizm option, the Hi Pink if I recall correctly. I have the Rose, Jade, and Hi Pink, and have all but quit using the Rose.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

Best!
Mike
IO/X?
Bring it today.
It would be interesting to compare to my Smith Photochromic red sensor mirror lens.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IO/X?
Bring it today.
It would be interesting to compare to my Smith Photochromic red sensor mirror lens.

Please post up your thoughts on the comparison. I'm thinking of getting one or both. Right now I have the YSM, BSM, Ignitor mirror, red sol-x mirror and clear so I have most situations covered. That said, it'd be nice to maybe pare down the collection to a photochromic and the new Chromapop yellow storm, especially if the CP yellow storm is an upgrade from the YSM.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was having heart palpitations when I read the OP saying the blue sensor mirror lens has been discontinued. I have other lenses for my IOX goggles, but I never actually use them -- the Northeast is not known for its abundance of sunny days.

I'm glad to hear there's an acceptable replacement though. My lenses are fairly new though so I probably won't have a reason to switch out this season.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was having heart palpitations when I read the OP saying the blue sensor mirror lens has been discontinued. I have other lenses for my IOX goggles, but I never actually use them -- the Northeast is not known for its abundance of sunny days.

I'm glad to hear there's an acceptable replacement though. My lenses are fairly new though so I probably won't have a reason to switch out this season.

If you have a chance to try the Yellow Sensor Mirror you should. I used to swear by the BSM but the YSM has better contrast and I'm happier with it, especially here in the northeast.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Lens choice is very individual. What works best for my eyes might not work best for yours. I had Smith goggles with one of the sensor lenses that many liked. Didn't work for me. Smith RC36 (rose copper 36%) was much better for my eyes. I'm very pleased with my current Oakley Prizm Rose. The Prizm Hi Pink lets through more light than I'd usually want.

A suggestion is to go to a ski shop on a gray day, ask to take several goggles with different lenses to the window, and see which brings up the contrast best for your eyes.

Sponsor

Staff online