• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Diamond files - which type do you use?

Do you use diamond files that use replacement strips or standard diamond files?

• Total voters

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Moonflex Brand 70mm. Really like how they work and feel. Purchased at end of season sales make them quite reasonable.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
I've used just about all of them over the years. They all pretty much do the same thing and I don't believe there is anything magical about any of them. I'm partial to the Swix Pro diamond files but I've used plenty of Moonflex as well as others with the same success.

Most important thing to remember when using any diamond file is that they are not meant to be a replacement for a file. Diamond files are for touching up and putting that sharpness back on an edge. When I hear about people wearing out diamond files on a regular basis, it's nearly always because they are using them wrong and or are applying to much down pressure which will just wear them out a lot faster.

Also, since I started using a power edger all the time, I hardly ever use files or diamond files.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Standard because I haven't gotten around to trying replacement diamond tape. But when you see how cheap "3m diamond lapping tape" is, it makes you wonder.

Especially with Hone brand, which is an aluminum backing blank instead of plastic.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I bought a set of the 70mm moonflex ones when I started doing my own tuning work three (?) seasons ago now.

I touch up the skis after every weekend outing, so probably 20, 30 times a year I'm at the tuning bench.

I keep thinking they're going to wear out, but they seem to be just as capable as they were when new. Fine by me if I don't have to buy new ones anytime soon!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I didn't even know replacement strips existed. I've replaced a red DMT with a Moonflex, but generally when I get a replacement it just gets added to the series based on my assessment of its condition vs others. I think I'm up to six stones now!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most important thing to remember when using any diamond file is that they are not meant to be a replacement for a file. Diamond files are for touching up and putting that sharpness back on an edge. When I hear about people wearing out diamond files on a regular basis, it's nearly always because they are using them wrong and or are applying to much down pressure which will just wear them out a lot faster.
True. Diamond files are just lightly dragged over the edge giving final sharpness. When using them this way, they last for long time. I'm pretty sure I still do more skis then majority of people, and my diamond files easily last 3 to 4 years.
Otherwise I use standard DMT files (mainly the ones with Swix sticker on them), as pretty much all manufactures (Swix, Toko, Snoli, Holmenkol) use DMT files and just put their own logo on pouch.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've preferred the Moonflex over the DMT for years. But one of my Moonflex just had the tape start peeling off. I really like how much better they resist loading, but starting to rethink that. I'm still using my original DMT set, even though they're close to useless at this point. This Moonflex was a "replacement".

I'd put new stones on my Christmas wish list, starting to think I might change which ones I want. At least the DMT doesn't disintegrate.

Note to all who use Moonflex -- it's just tape.

Sponsor

Staff online