• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Talking to day trippers only, not passholders/employees with seasonal lockers/locker rooms

• I usually boot up at the car.

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • I try my best to rent a locker large enough regardless of the daily rental cost.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • I find open cubbies or poach an empty quarters locker.

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • I stuff it in a corner or under the dining tables somewhere.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Free bag check

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Talking to day trippers only, not passholders with seasonal lockers or employees with storage perks. If you decide to boot up at the lodge and not at the car where to you usually put your boot bags or street shoes if you just bring the boots on a string?

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Your poll is missing one option: free bag check

And multiple choices.

My 1st choice is a cubby. If I arrive late and the cubes are gone, I prefer to just leave it in the corner or under some table.

But a lot of mountains are now discouraging bags under the table. So bag check is my 3rd choice. In mountains the bag check is not free, I boot up in the car.

Or if the walk is long, AND no free bag check, I just leave my bag in the open and let them confiscate it. It's usually claimable at lost and found. Screwy system. But I refuse to pay for the storage of my sneakers.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We walk it back to the car - but we're in Michigan and the car just isn't that far away.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
In the East, where I do most of my skiing, I stuff my bag in a cubby or next to filled cubbies at the edge of the room. However, in Utah last year we booted up at the car and left the bags in the car. Never had a problem with theft, and tend not to leave things of much value in the bag while on the mountain.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I usually boot up at the car, but on cold days or depending on the resort I find a place with cubbies. Once in a while I stuff it in a corner.(example Squaw)

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I'm tall with long arms so I throw it on top of the paid lockers. Most people can't reach it.
In some mountains, they made top of the lockers at an angle, on purpose. Bags don't stay put up there. They slide back down.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In some mountains, they made top of the lockers at an angle, on purpose. Bags don't stay put up there. They slide back down.

Yeah, I've seen that.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If I have to make a long walk in shoes I take pld ones jist in cade and find a spot in cubbies or on top of lockers. If we have a group and have bags we find a closed or out of the way room that won't see much use and put them in a corner.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy takes it when I’m at DV per a season arrangement. It enables me to bring along my laptop.

13B6180B-5D79-4AD4-BB90-A9A10A9EEFA4.jpeg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This guy takes it when I’m at DV per a season arrangement. It enables me to bring along my laptop.

View attachment 34842
Flag on the play. Poll and discussion is for day trippers excluding season pass/seasonal locker rentals or employee perks.:huh:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I did, because it can vary from mountain to mountain.

I kind of wish you hadn't because I really want to know what folks do most on average. Of course people will take advantage of a free bag check IF that option is available at your home hill and common knowledge. However it is my experience that it isn't a very common option. Can we remove multiple choices and rephrase to say "most often?
I'm not looking for what folks prefer to do given every option at every resort. I'm looking for what the reality is that they run in to most often..

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I'm not looking for what folks prefer to do given every option at every resort. I'm looking for what the reality is that they run in to most often..
The reality is every mountain is different. And the poor day tripper has to do what's being offered.

Day trippers, by definition, can go to more than one mountain. So if the 2 or 3 mountains they often go to have different set up, their "reality" would be a multiple choice.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
We boot up at the car, then lock the boot bag to the ski rack by the base lift. That way we have a place for gloves, layers, goggles, snacks, water, tools carry straps etc. We use a small ski cable lock and thread the wire through the two metal zipper pulls and then the ski rack. We have done this at multiple resorts for multiple seasons and never had an issue with theft or tampering. For folks like us who like to maximize their slope time, it is a great solution. It's like having a private locker right next to the lift. It's especially noce not to have to run back to the lodge or car when you need to shed a layer, change gloves or just swap out goggle lenses.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flag on the play. Poll and discussion is for day trippers excluding season pass/seasonal locker rentals or employee perks.:huh:
But I make day trips many days from my little ol' house to the bag bar. I know I'm violating your title here I just thought with the drought and all you'd feel inclusive.

He reminds me of Bill Murray in the scene from Get Smart the movie so I try to take a moment.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The reality is every mountain is different. And the poor day tripper has to do what's being offered.

Day trippers, by definition, can go to more than one mountain. So if the 2 or 3 mountains they often go to have different set up, their "reality" would be a multiple choice.

True, but is it really a close call or toss up for what you end up doing "most"? For me, after almost 40 years coast to coast the options vary but at least 90% of the time I end up doing the same thing almost everywhere..

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I boot up at the car if I'm by myself. If I'm with kid(s) I only go to casual resorts with open spaces that encourage brown bagging and hanging out at the lodge (upstairs at Mary Jane base, Eldora's kids center lodge, A-Basin's family area) and bring the bootbags in and park them hopefully out of the way. If the weather is nice and its just one adult and the skiing preschooler, then we boot up at the car and park near the beginner's ski area.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, parking lottery can really impact the reasonable choices. If you're in shuttle bus land, bringing a boot bag becomes a huge PTA. If you're super close, bringing the bags back to the car is easy peasy..

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid