• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the new with the old

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I recently read mention that the "European style" is to run "whatever" ski boot on the highest level ski. That in contrast with an American preference to wear the most "advanced" ski boot on any assortment of "lesser" skis.
As the selection for both types are so wide, I can not form an opinion on the claim.

BUT

I would wonder if any of us have pulled out our "obsolete" skis and given them a critical review when compared to our "latest and greatest infatuation". I mean a critical review!

I take out the K2 710s EVERY SPRING. I find they ski exactly like they always have. No surprises, and only a single short coming.
I boot out on them, often in a spectacular way.

This season, I intend to revive both the Volkl G3 and the G4 stuck in the attic

I'll let you all know how it goes ;-)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will take out older gear from time to time especially at Mothers Day in A-Baisin as willl @Doug Briggs. Here I do have some older skis mounted up and ready to fo at a moments notice, The Ski, (two pair, one with Spademans) Atomic M:EX with Atomic Neox EBM bindings, Rossi 4SK's that I ski with Salomon SX92E boots. Speaking of SX92's there is not a day that we ski at Mt. Rose that we de no see someone out in these boots, many of days there are two or three pair. Also, jsut this Friday I saw this guy at Sugarbowl...
IMG_1798.JPG

And he had a big smile on his face when sliding down the hill. He doesnt need any of them new Perry-Bolic skis. He didn't say that, I am because he was having just as much fun as anyone.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recently read mention that the "European style" is to run "whatever" ski boot on the highest level ski. That in contrast with an American preference to wear the most "advanced" ski boot on any assortment of "lesser" skis.
As the selection for both types are so wide, I can not form an opinion on the claim.

BUT

I would wonder if any of us have pulled out our "obsolete" skis and given them a critical review when compared to our "latest and greatest infatuation". I mean a critical review!

I take out the K2 710s EVERY SPRING. I find they ski exactly like they always have. No surprises, and only a single short coming.
I boot out on them, often in a spectacular way.

This season, I intend to revive both the Volkl G3 and the G4 stuck in the attic

I'll let you all know how it goes ;-)
How does this make you feel about new ski technology? Fun? worth it? Are there things we've given up that we don't properly appreciate or recognize?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yup, he's having fun and he bought a lift ticket.

I see a lot of rear entry boots at Tremblant. One old guy loves his and won't give them up. Also ski with a friend that loves 1 piece ski suits. Warmer than any other suit he says.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really like old steel road bikes and classic fiberglass fly rods. The fact that they are still being made and copied says something about their qualities. Skis from the same era, not so much. I take them out on occasion and find more boredom and work than nostalgia.

Now, more recent "old skis", with some sidecut but perhaps conventional camber, they can be still pretty darn good.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

There is a BMI-related observation stealthily ensconced in the concepts of your first paragraph.

In the spirit of @newfydog 's new old - @Muleski' s vintage Stormrider XLs blew the trousers off every carver ski in the demo tents, for direct edge grip, for stability at speed, for compliance and steerability on scraped hardpack without losing that same edge grip. My BSL buddy for the day swapped his Volkl Codes and just got this grin on his face when he clicked in.

That said, they have softened torsionally and no longer feel as connected to the tips as when newer. Of all the new-old I reckon Atomics Beta derived construction like @Philpug 's M:ex will prove most resistant to this onset of late middle ski age.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I take my antique SGs (first generation Kästle RX National Team SG with the steel layers, not the new-fangled ogwink lighter ones with the magnesium alloy) out to play when I can get to a bigger hill (Tremblant). They have many hard miles on them, and I do notice an occasional extra flap of the tips when landing big air at high speed. Nevertheless, they are still much better at making clean carved arc-2-arc LARGE radius high speed turns than most modern skis.

I have to admit, that despite the fact that the old SGs have "for long and turns" written right on them, all of my newer skis make better short turns.

EDIT: they also have the all-metal Tyrolia 490 bindings, not the newfangled lighter Delrin 490s that got recalled.ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online