• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Change in Mogul Shape since the 80s and 90s

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the PNW (particularly Stevens, Alpental, Crystal) the bumps form over big-ass boulders, so they are irregular in shape and size - and they seem identical from year to year. Early season, as soon as they are covered and the run is opened, there they are again. More snow, more skiers and boarders, the same shapes and spacing only with more snow. It's actually weird for me when I travel and find moguls that are relatively evenly spaced and consistent in size.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
The few bump runs at Whistler also haven't changed much from year to year. The initial turns over the rocks still set the pattern.
Biggest difference in recent years is less traffic carving them deeper.
There aren't as many wanting to ski bumps. Perfecting a carve on a groomer or getting fresh tracks is more popular.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Biggest difference in recent years is less traffic carving them deeper.
In this regard I would say that it is the opposite at Snowbasin. Where there were very few bumps 5 & 10 years ago, there are now bumps everywhere & very quickly after fresh snow. More traffic will do that!

Sponsor

Staff online