• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bill Seddon

Booting up
Skier
One great thing about the snowdomes we have here, great places to break boots in doing what they are supposed to be doing. Have about 20 hours in mine now, lovely they are.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not only do I have them on in the house to break them in but also every fall to get my feet ready for ski season. How many of us do this in the fall or is it we just can't wait for the season to start?

I guess I was lucky - I put last season's boots on my feet to ski at A Basin, and they were instantly just right.

Guys, do this standing up. Sitting won't help.

I was just gonna post this! If you're sitting, you're not pressuring the boot at all the way it will be used.

And for that matter, even standing and walking around doesn't really replicate skiing pressures. It's just hard to replicate those, so standing is the best alternative.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Once upon a time, one of the Ski Mags had little piece about a woman who tried her boots on just before the start of the season and found that one of'em seemed way shorter than it had been at the end of the last season. Took the boots into the shop to have the fitter take a look at them. He found a dead mouse in the toe of the shorter boot. Good reason to try boots on before you go out for the first day of the season. Personally I've worn my boots for an hour or so over several days (sitting around the house) before the season starts. Gets my feet used to the feel of the boots again. So far no dead mice found.
That's funny....I fly fish quite a bit and one time I took a little used pair of waders with me and they didn't fit as well as I thought they should . at the end of the day when I turned them inside out to rinse them I found a dead baby bird in the toe.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I sit, walk around, flex them etc...

Fwiw, stand on one foot, then the other. Step up one stair tread one foot at a time, step back one foot at a time. if you have carpeted stairs, bunny hop up the the first tread, then step back. Supinate, pronate, lift your toes... fire some of the muscles in your feet you use to ski. Take them off after 15-20minutes, stretch your feet, rest them, then back in for round 2. My $0.02.

Honestly, I put my boots on once for a few minutes to make sure nothing is really, odd, then I just go skiing. If I'm working on a new shell, I'll do this a few times, then go skiing and continue to tweak as necessary.

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not only do I have them on in the house to break them in but also every fall to get my feet ready for ski season. How many of us do this in the fall or is it we just can't wait for the season to start?

Thanks for reminding me. Just got two buckles replaced, now I got to wear them a bit.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked my new boots up (they were professionally fitted, punched and have custom footbeds) and went skiing, with instructions to go back to the shop as often as needed for adjustments. So far these are the snuggest, most comfortable boots I've had. I anticipate possible adjustments at the beginning of the upcoming season, just because I know areas that were punched out may have retracted. Personally I think that boots that are comfortable for walking in may not be comfortable for skiing, and vice versa.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's funny....I fly fish quite a bit and one time I took a little used pair of waders with me and they didn't fit as well as I thought they should . at the end of the day when I turned them inside out to rinse them I found a dead baby bird in the toe.
Bait?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. :) big thumb, small keyboard... edited.

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
One year, day one, got to the mountain and put my boots on at the car. They felt distinctly odd. Took them off and realized the liners were in the wrong boot. Not a serious issue but I should have tried them on at home! Which reminds me....

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Feet spend 7 months living in ski boots, they get the entire off season to rest. Been replacing boots mid season last couple years as they last maybe 150-175 days. Going to try to stretch last years boot to the end of this season.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Honestly, boot fitting is such an arduous and uncertain process for my feet that once I get a pair that works, I never want to change.

Unfortunately, it seems that my feet usually do want to change ... or something.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apex boots are being discussed a bit on another thread, but maybe more appropriately here. I bet there is no break in period on those things

Sponsor

Staff online