• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Warmer recommendation?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The first one looks like it might not work that well with ski boots. The second one looks a little more sturdy to me, but:huh:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
get 2xfirst and 1xsecond. the second is big and flimsy for travel (always feels like it will break), but works well, especially with the timer - i have something similar.

the first works well for travel. I have 2xsomething like that, but has 2 extra hoses for gloves, so it can do boots and gloves at once and that comes in very handy, as gloves tend to be wet too.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
101_0589.JPG
Have had this one for 4-5 years now. Pacific Outdoors brand. 30 bucks? No fan- simple. Think I got it at one of those farmer supply stores. Throw the boots on when I get home and take 'em off in the morning. Use it for pac boots, hunters, everything. Don't think they would need to be on overnight to dry. Just do. Before I got this one checked some reviews- the first one pictured people said they couldn't get boots on and broke an arm off. That second unit looks pretty industrial-stout!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Or make one, if you want a dryer, not a warmer.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
none of those are best for travel but may work if you have a home and you leave it setup.
i assume the heated gear bag is out of the question.
For a warming specific option, get the dryguys hot toemales or whatever they call it orange foot shaped thing that sticks in the boot. especially if you drive to the resort you can replug into your car (with an inverter) and the extra minutes plugged in on the drive will keep the heat. additionally if they are stone cold and/or you take them to your stonecold car, you can plug your gloves in the top to hold the heat (they typically dont produce enough heat to overcome a cold car heat loss). be careful looking for the model differences, sometimes the travel model that is cigarette powered is an underpowered version, you are better off getting the full model and an car ac inverter.
you still need to start it right when you wake up for breakfast for it to get warm.
they also dry but typically will take half the night to dry versus other options. depending how much of a budget you are on, these are relatively cheap, so you should get 1 per pair of boots that need to be dried. dont forget extension cord (for 3 sockets) and inverter if you are doing the car option.

if you are looking additionally for drying and warmung where travel is involved, your one device options is to take a look either at hotronics snapdry or the therm ic refresher. the item you posted is similar but is not ski boot specific as you need longer arms and 90 shape at the bottom so the air can reach the toes.
i have the therm ic refresher be sure you get the model with timer. this will dry much faster thsn the orange thing so you can swap it to another pair.

if you have multiple people get multiple pairs and an extension cord with extra sockets. maybe 2 thermics for 3 people is fine for drying. one unit may work for 3 ppl if you're really on top of swapping.

as far as drying techinques you need to experiment and it depends how wet you get, but me personally i put it on a 1 or 2hr cycle when i get in and i check if they are dry after dinner before going to bed. leave it off overnight to reduce wear and then start it up first thing in the morning for warming (not specifically for drying).

for gloves they say they have the hand adapters but i dont think they work well as hanging them within the hvacs airflow. if its going to be that wet ive had more success in just bring extra gloves.

Last edited:

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
We use two setups. A larger one for at home...very similar to the dry guy (which I've heard work very well) one you linked to in you post. Got it from costco. Works fantastic. We take our boot liners out and put them on for a few hours. Our liners are heat moldable so we never use the heat setting. Unless they are soaked they should be dry after a few cycles. Then we put our gloves on after. Mind you its just my wife and I - so you might need two. Reccomended.

For travelling we have smaller portable dryers. We've had the hotronic and thermic ones - they've been good. We're currently using a pair of caframo portable dryers -they are ok...not the best quality and a bit noisy but does the trick.

We find boot dryers pretty much a necessity for effectively drying boot and glove liners out. Wet or damp liners=cold=no fun! We dry our glove liners out too with the same system....but with our current set up of 2 pair of Hestra Heli's each and swapping gloves out every day we are always able to start the day out with dry hands and feet.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've been using these things for forty years. They used to come under various names, but are getting harder to find, so last time I got two pair.
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Accessories-Footwear-Dryer-Pre-warmer/dp/B005CKZ26A
51namcW2fGL.jpg

I stick them in the boots when I arrive home. In the AM I put them in the car and plug them into a jump-start battery. On the way to the mountain (because they're dry by now having been on all night) I shove mittens in the top for heat retention. I arrive at the lodge, stick my feet into warm boots. They are portable, take up no room, and are not so warm you can't hold them directly in your hands. There is someone here who had a problem with a similar device, but like I said, it's been easily forty years for me, and they are in my boots every night for four months every year. Footbeds are fine. They dry using convection (hot air rises, so air circulates without needing a fan).

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you are looking additionally for drying and warmung where travel is involved, your one device options is to take a look either at hotronics snapdry or the therm ic refresher. the item you posted is similar but is not ski boot specific as you need longer arms and 90 shape at the bottom so the air can reach the toes.
i have the therm ic refresher be sure you get the model with timer. this will dry much faster thsn the orange thing so you can swap it to another pair.

How effectively do these warm? I have a Hotgear bag - love the warmth but don't really like the bag, and transferring the heating element from the Hotgear to a bag I like better isn't as effective as I'd hoped.

If I could pick up something like this to throw in my boots to warm my Zipfit liners and get even a little heat to the shells, it might be just what I need.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How effectively do these warm? I have a Hotgear bag - love the warmth but don't really like the bag, and transferring the heating element from the Hotgear to a bag I like better isn't as effective as I'd hoped.

If I could pick up something like this to throw in my boots to warm my Zipfit liners and get even a little heat to the shells, it might be just what I need.

the thermic refresher will be effective in ambient room temperatures. so if you have it in the house it will work very very effectively. it wont work in a cold car because it will be trying to heat cold air and blowing that slightly less cold air in. I would at most it can raise the air temp 30degrees. So if your cars is 20degrees itll be effectively blowungg 50degrees and cooling the boots until you can get the car warm.

the dryguy orange things dont blow so whatever heat it generates you can completely capture and keep in the boot.
overall if i remember, the wattage and therefore heating of the thermic is at least double or triple that of the orange things.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ordered a set of those Dry nWarm sticks; thanks for the tip Sibhusky! :hug:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the exact same Dry nWarm sticks as Sibhusky. Mine are so old that they are actually my first online purchase ever.

I once tested their drying ability by immersing a hiking boot in water and then using the dryer sticks....8 hours later the boot was bone dry.

Here is another option: Sidas battery powered insole heaters (for warming toes while skiing) have a battery charger that gives the option of turning on the heaters to dry the boots while charging the batteries. It takes a little longer to charge the batteries when this is done. And a insole heater costs about 10x the cost of a Dry nWarm Stick.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought a cheap electric throw from target and place on top of 4 sets of boots and set on low to warm/dry. Any idea the temp those heated boot bags heat to? We just leave the blanket on for a few hours when we get home. Have been too busy/lazy to pull out a liner before and after to see effects but will do soon. I don't see why this shouldn't work.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a cheap electric throw from target and place on top of 4 sets of boots and set on low to warm/dry. Any idea the temp those heated boot bags heat to? We just leave the blanket on for a few hours when we get home. Have been too busy/lazy to pull out a liner before and after to see effects but will do soon. I don't see why this shouldn't work.

Doesn't putting the throw on top of the boots block moist air from leaving the boots?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Doesn't putting the throw on top of the boots block moist air from leaving the boots?
I'm hoping the moisture will be trapped in the fibers of the blanket and evaporate. Still very much a work in progress. Not sure I want the blanket underneath in case an water puddles. As we travel a long way each time we ski, there should be no real excess water but it is an "electric" blanket. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We travel with 2 of the "Dry-Guy" type boot dryers. Works great and just put them in a small duffle bag with powerbar.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We travel with 2 of the "Dry-Guy" type boot dryers. Works great and just put them in a small duffle bag with powerbar.

Powerbar? :huh:

Power Bar.png

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online