• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Dryer Recommendation? Fan only.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
My trusty favorite boot dryer seems to have finally failed after 20 years. Pretty good lifespan, but now I'm at a loss! This was the one I had (it's the only photo I can find) and it's sadly discontinued/out of business.
https://www.terapeak.com/worth/air-puck-boot-and-glove-dryer-air-dry-systems/252075626073/

I loved it because the fan blew room-temperature air - there was no heating unit. It was portable, fit in my bootbag for travel, and had attachments to dry my gloves.

I started googling for a replacement, but I can't seem to find one that is fan-only with no heat. I have heat-molded liners and shells (Salomon Max 110 W) and I don't want to mess anything up with a heating unit.

Bootfitters- how much heat is ok? Any recommendations on a portable boot dryer?

Thanks!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was some discussion here and I posted here
https://pugski.com/threads/boot-warmer-recommendation.7012/

Both the Hotronics Snapdry and the Therm-ic Refresher, when used as directed as Boot Dryers, only put out air that's only slightly hotter than body temp. So assuming that your heat molded skis don't get warped at body temp, they shouldn't get warped by these dryers (which also are not exerting any force on any part of the boot while they are working.
Both these devices designed specifically for Ski boots, and they explicitly claim to be fine for thermomolded/custom ski footwear.

The other devices that are pure heaters and aren't moving air that are better for boot warming could potentially go over body temp and warp your boot, especially if you're trying to short circuit the warming process by plugging your boot tops with your gloves.

If you truly want no heat, I think there was some post from guy who was DIYing/made to order a device that was just a computer PC fan and tubing put together. Because no heat was needed, it could be USB powered with a simple USB battery bank and be ultra portable and ultra convenient

edit: found it: http://www.drymyboots.com/index.html

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have heated boot dryers that never get too warm, so one can comfortably hold them in one's hand. I don't see how that could be hot enough to interfere with the heat molded boot liners.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
ThermiCare claims a temperature of 110°F.
Chinook is room air only, includes glove dryer, is pricey.
DryGuy Force claims only 105°.
Others claim "gently warmed" air.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can't you just turn the heat setting off?
My boot dryers have that option...it's one of those 4 post type ones and I just tape the heat switch down in the off position.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
So in looking at those dryer options with the two or four posts - do you put your boots on top upside-down? Does the weight of the boot not topple the dryer over?

Looking at these larger options:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010A5J5FU/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014SB2X0G/
(These seem to be the same company? Or subsidiaries of the same company.)

Or debating the ones that just go in the boot directly, which would be easier to travel with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W6JY36/
https://www.backcountry.com/therm-ic-refresher-boot-heater-with-timer-120v
https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-Force-Dryer-Glove-Articulating/dp/B01LZE505J/

Or one from each category - the big one to leave in the cabin and one of the smaller ones for trips.

Any personal experience with any of the above?

thanks!

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
My boss keeps the thermic in his office, works great because it's compact enough to stick under his desk, and he doesn't have to worry about trying to find a spot on the communal boot dryer rack in our instructor hut.

I've got the MaxxDry at home, it's served me well for 2 years so far. A tad noisy, but you get used to it.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We use one that looks like the "Dry-Guys" setup. When you put your boots on just make sure they are placeed one on each end so it doesn't tip over. Very simple and you'll see what I mean right away it's a no brainer.

We travel with 2 of them in a duffle bag and put a power bar in there as well. Not a big deal and a must for how much we ski and how critical it is for our boots and gloves to be dry each day.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone used the portable Travel Dry or Travel Dry Dx or something similar? I’m thinking of something that can be portable for travel, as well as plugged into my car’s 12v plug while driving to the slopes.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone used the portable Travel Dry or Travel Dry Dx or something similar? I’m thinking of something that can be portable for travel, as well as plugged into my car’s 12v plug while driving to the slopes.

I have DryGuy 12volt warmer/dryers that I bought at an on hill ski shop at Sun Valley for under $25. (probably the best bargain in the entire shop) I have them as a backup to my slightly more powerful Warm N Dry Sticks, and to use for drying gloves. This DryGuy model has no fan and has a convertor to use with 110v house current when needed.

Some other type 110v warmer/dryer could easily be powered from a 12v car system via a 12v to 110v inverter.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have DryGuy 12volt warmer/dryers that I bought at an on hill ski shop at Sun Valley for under $25. (probably the best bargain in the entire shop) I have them as a backup to my slightly more powerful Warm N Dry Sticks, and to use for drying gloves. This DryGuy model has no fan and has a convertor to use with 110v house current when needed.

Some other type 110v warmer/dryer could easily be powered from a 12v car system via a 12v to 110v inverter.

Thanks, I do have an inverter for my car, on that actually has two 110v outlets, but it’s a little noisy.

Dry Guy Travel Dry doesn’t have a fan whereas the Travel Dry Dx does have fans.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I use the Warm n Dry sticks in the car just plugged into my jump starter battery. It does't make any noise at all. I could plug them into the AC outlet in the trunk, but another brand of heated inserts (Thermic) blew a fuse in the old car twice (they were much hotter than the Warm n Dry, so were probably pulling too much power for the cigarette lighter outlet -- I'm actually afraid to leave those for longer than a half hour in the boots), so to protect fuses I'm using the jumper box. It needs to be recharged mid winter, but has a gauge on it. Just move the boots with the sticks from the mudroom to the car.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, I do have an inverter for my car, on that actually has two 110v outlets, but it’s a little noisy.

Dry Guy Travel Dry doesn’t have a fan whereas the Travel Dry Dx does have fans.

Discussed in my link the other post. The dry guy orange things work fine and what I suggested for warming on the drive to the slope.

Get the bigger ones with the fan, so you can get a more efficient drying as well as warming. It is still very low powered. Looking at my older orange dryguy (full size, not travel but no fan) they have a label saying 5w power on each foot (so take that as 10w total). I don't have the newer one with the fan, I don't think will add on much more wattage. Maybe 20w total at most.

Looking at my Therm-ic Refresher it indicates 50w.
As far as a car inverter and the electronics and my take on what happened to sibhusky..

The typical car cigarette accessory has a 10Amp fuse. 10Amp at 12v means 120w DC draw.
After DC->AC conversion losses, the max load and inverter you should buy to put in a cigarette port is one labelled as a 75w or 100w inverter (depending on how they do math and marketting), and sticking with about 75watts as your practical limit, assuming the inverter is a recent efficient and modern one.

If you buy an inappropriately sized inverter, you are actually working against yourself. Like assume you buy one rated for 200w or 400w or 600w because bigger is better, right?. The bigger inverters require extra power overhead and extra stuff like cooling fans for that higher load. This extra overhead actually lowers the usable power before tripping the fuse. Because the limits don't match, you are just setting yourself up to pop fuses by having mismatched loads.
For those bigger inverters, you are expected to either hardwire that to the battery or have custom wiring that has a higher amperage, you weren't supposed to use those with the OEM built-in cigarette ports.
A inverter sized for 100w or 75w likely shouldn't have excessive cooling fans and extra overhead as this load is small enough for mostly passive cooling. It also shouldn't be buzzing or making noise. It should never pop fuses unless some other wiring is bad or there's a fault. It should also go into overload mode and shut itself down first based on its rating before that.
If you need 2 sockets for 2 devices, you are better off getting the small inverter and a $1.99 extension cord. You can't use the extra electrical power unless you have rewired your car.

Sum things up in practical usage; I can use both of my refresher and orange dryguys simultaneously with 1 cigarette port on my car and the 2.1amp usb phone charger. 50w+10w +10w for usb still is below my self-imposed 75w limit.

Also plugging in the refreshers during for the 4hr commute from Tahoe back to the bay area means boots are dry and ready for next trip without needing to do that back at home.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have not been using an separate inverter. The Thermic which blew the fuses had a plug for a cigarette lighter. It did not have a household plug. We own an inverter which plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I was not using it for the Thermic because the Thermic sticks did not have that type of plug.

The Dry and Warm sticks have a typical household plug and plug directly into the battery jumper pack I carry in my car. It is not using the car system. My new car does have a 110 outlet, but I don't use it for the sticks, because of my experience with the Thermic sticks and my old car. Whether this outlet in the jumper pack I'm plugging into involves some kind of inverter, I have no clue. I am no electrician. I don't hear a fan going and the inverter we have is noisy with a fan. There is absolutely no info on the packaging or the sticks anywhere to give me the draw. The Thermic sticks had all that info, but I stopped using them because of the described issues--blowing out my fuses and too hot for extended use.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is absolutely no info on the packaging or the sticks anywhere to give me the draw. The Thermic sticks had all that info, but I stopped using them because of the described issues--blowing out my fuses and too hot for extended use.

My Warm N Dry Sticks draw 8 watts per Stick, so yours should be the same.

My DryGuy Travel are slightly less warm and draw 5 watts per side.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I have this Dry Guy, and it has the option to only blow air, but I do like the warmer to get my boots warmed up a bit before I put them on. It's definitely only warm, not hot at all.
https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-Force...rd_wg=cqaH9&psc=1&refRID=EZ1W2CJ82DZCN1SEC9R1

That's the one I just ended up buying. We don't have any ski travel trips planned this season (this will stay in our rental in Tahoe), so I'll wait until next year to figure out a more portable solution.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We have 3 of these:

http://www.peetdryer.com/store/p40/Original_Dryer.html

They say 'heat' but it's only enough to cause convection - your WiFi router puts off more heat than these things, probably 2x or 3x more. Totally silent, gets air into the toe of a ski boot no problem, no effect on Intuition or Conformable liners. Does help with Zipfit liners. No effect on mouldable shells. Detachable tops pack into ski boots for travel so the biggest piece is the back bottom - packing volume is effectively two beer bottles + power cord.

During most of the year they have running shoes and skates on them.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the one I just ended up buying. We don't have any ski travel trips planned this season (this will stay in our rental in Tahoe), so I'll wait until next year to figure out a more portable solution.
It works great. You do have to balance the boots on opposite sides or it'll tip over. I have no issue with that. I like that I can stick my gloves on it at the same time. And it's easily portable if you are hauling it in a car. I take it on my ski road trips. Might be able to cram it into a large suitcase, then pack stuff around it. It's really not very big.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I use this. No heat needed. Buy at local big box store or online. Set boots together on floor, balance this on top, leave alone overnight, done. It's just a fan, and that's all one needs.
066028000408lg.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online