• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

brad123664

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out which system to buy into. Has anyone used both?
I can't seem to find a comparison of the chromapop storm yellow flash and the prizm hi-pink. Which is better?

Thanks!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bueller...? Bueller....? Anyone?
Other folks are also interested....

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bueller...? Bueller....? Anyone?
Other folks are also interested....

Yes, I would like to know as well.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I have the chromopop yellow, and I really like them. I haven't used the Prizms, but I think yellow is better than pink for me because I'm developing cataracts, which don't filter as much yellow as other colors. YMMV.

dm

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love my Prizms. The clarity with all of them is stunning. I have the Hi Pink, Rose and Jade. I've not used the Chromapop. My guess is it's sixes, and comes down to the goggle that works for your face and eyes better. (Or the price point that suits you better.) I DO have some Chromapop on order for someone else as a gift. I could hijack them for a few runs in low light to compare to the Hi Pinks.

TS
B

brad123664

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I asked Lorenzzo and this is what he had to say:

Chromopop is a sun lens and the best I've found for that. But it isn't an advance in what is desirable for low light conditions. In that area Prizm is superior. That said I have last year's chromopop storm, not this year's yellow.

I have the prize rose but am hearing the hi-pink is even better in low light conditions but not as versatile.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Love my Prizms. The clarity with all of them is stunning. I have the Hi Pink, Rose and Jade. I've not used the Chromapop. My guess is it's sixes, and comes down to the goggle that works for your face and eyes better. (Or the price point that suits you better.) I DO have some Chromapop on order for someone else as a gift. I could hijack them for a few runs in low light to compare to the Hi Pinks.

This. I have the Chromopop Yellow and I'm a huge fan. Best low-light lens I've tried to date. But I already had the Smith googles, So I'm already invested in the Smith System - and the I/OS (the smaller frame) fit my face well. When I got them originally (about 4-5 years ago), the Oakleys only had one size and they were too big for me. Both lenses get excellent reviews - so go with what fits the best if you're buying new.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the Prizm Hi Pink is superior to the rose in low light by quite a lot (IMO.) And I don't go blind if I'm wearing them and the sun comes out, which I've had happen when wearing other storm lenses.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
This. I have the Chromopop Yellow and I'm a huge fan. Best low-light lens I've tried to date. But I already had the Smith googles, So I'm already invested in the Smith System - and the I/OS (the smaller frame) fit my face well. When I got them originally (about 4-5 years ago), the Oakleys only had one size and they were too big for me. Both lenses get excellent reviews - so go with what fits the best if you're buying new.

The Chromopop yellow seemed to be a bit better for my eyes as well over the sensor blue - didn't think possible but they were. I would think this is all personal pref though.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I have the Chromopop yellow (65% VLT), the blue sensor mirror(60%) and the Ignitor mirror (35%). I suspect the yellow is just a renamed spendier version of last year's Sensor Yellow (which I have never used). The yellow is the best I've ever used in low light, but the blue is very good as well. YMMV.

dm

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Cataracts are kind of yellow-brownish. Some (my Mrs.) was shocked at the color intensity she regained after the surgery. A color filter...goggle lens, red tail light, etc., lets through its own color and filters out others. The yellow-type lenses filter out the short wavelength blue that is easily scattered and thereby fills in the shadow detail we need to see contrast.

Amy nailed it..."comes down to the goggle that works for your face and eyes better" What works best for me might not be the best for Amy and maybe not the best for Brad. That said, the Prizm Rose is the best I've used. I haven't tried the lighter Prizm Hi Pink, nor any of the ChromaPop lenses. In the Prizm line there are five densities from the darkest Black Iridium to the lightest Hi Pink. Smith has five ChromaPop from the darkest Sun Green Mirror to the lightest Photochromic Rose Flash

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, the Prizm Hi Pink is superior to the rose in low light by quite a lot (IMO.) And I don't go blind if I'm wearing them and the sun comes out, which I've had happen when wearing other storm lenses.
Thank you! That's the question I've had trying to decide between them (the blind thing). I'm not up for a goggle/lens quiver and want whatever I normally wear here to suffice out west, too. There's a lot better chance of sun when I travel than here at home.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I went from the blue sensor, to the chroma pop storm to the chroma pop yellow storm. I've never been happier with regards to goggles for flat light. Way better than the blue sensor.

I haven't used the prizm series for goggles. Just sunglasses so I went for sunny conditions and not flat light.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I got the Chromapop Yellow Storm also this year for myself and wife. Best low light google we have had.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is there really a goggle that makes a significant difference in flat light, you still need a minimal level of light don't you to allow any goggle to work.

Seriously, I believed there would be a significant point of difference with a more expensive lens for flat light, but my friend I ski with most of the time bought expensive goggles with a flat light lens at an Optical Shop at Vail in the hopes that these lenses would deliver a significant improvement in flat light and he was pretty disappointed conceding these high end goggles were only marginally better in flat light.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You will never have great visibility in flat light, no. But I have found that YES, the right lens can make a HUGE difference. I think those of us with aging eyes are even more sensitive to it.

I bought the better half some Chromapop storm lens for Christmas, as he wears Smith 1/0 7s. He LOVES them. He already has the older storm lenses, and the Chromapop really are a huge step up from the older technology. The clarity and contrast they provide is amazing. He now wants to replace all his lenses with Chromapop. I'd consider it, since my Oakleys are wearing out, but I haven't found a Smith goggle that fits me as well as the Flight Deck XMs.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I have tried many lenses over the years and I was skeptical but they really make a difference in low/flat light.
I am sure everyone will have a different take on how much they help.I have not tried them in fog yet, just low/flat light/snowing conditions.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Cataracts are kind of yellow-brownish. Some (my Mrs.) was shocked at the color intensity she regained after the surgery. A color filter...goggle lens, red tail light, etc., lets through its own color and filters out others. The yellow-type lenses filter out the short wavelength blue that is easily scattered and thereby fills in the shadow detail we need to see contrast.

Amy nailed it..."comes down to the goggle that works for your face and eyes better" What works best for me might not be the best for Amy and maybe not the best for Brad. That said, the Prizm Rose is the best I've used. I haven't tried the lighter Prizm Hi Pink, nor any of the ChromaPop lenses. In the Prizm line there are five densities from the darkest Black Iridium to the lightest Hi Pink. Smith has five ChromaPop from the darkest Sun Green Mirror to the lightest Photochromic Rose Flash

Before my Cataract surgery I thought my apartment needed painting but after surgery I realized it didn't.

Another Smith Chromapop Yellow Storm fan. I have also found that the Chromapop Everyday lens works very well through a wide range of light conditions and is excellent when skiing through clouds and then into sun.

And I also agree with Amy and PTskier that different lenses for different eyes.

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Amy said, "YES, the right lens can make a HUGE difference"

Last winter at Jackson I was on a steep trail in clouds with a fellow from our group. He was having a terrible time. He said he couldn't see anything. I swapped goggles with him. He wore my Prizm Rose and I wore his cheap junk part-faded goggles. I did OK. He did much better than before and got down smoothly. He was effusive with his thanks to me for the goggle swap. He skied directly to the shop and bought good goggles. The right lens makes a real difference. An example...I used to use Smith goggles. I had the Sensor lens that was stock in those. They didn't work well for me--poor contrast in flat light. I changed them for the RC36 (rose copper 36%), and they worked much better for my eyes. Many other skiers really like those Sensor lenses. Whatever works for your eyes....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Went into the shop last night with my helmet and tried on several goggles. None of the Smith fit me like my Oakleys do. So, got some feedback on Giro with Vivid technology. (They fit me well.) Apparently, they are a shop favorite. I love the idea of the Contact lens (held on my magnets) but my wallet does not.

Got some thinking to do. In the meantime, I'll use my Oakley Prizm until they completely wear out (I've torn the foam on the top, and the Jade lens is seeing some wear.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January