• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Because, why not? (I need advice on adhesives)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to bring my bent chettlers out of retirement. I retired them for two reasons. I had a better ski for the binding at the time (Marker Baron) and I wanted to preserve the topsheet which was delaminating. I figure, they ski to nicely and are so much fun they don't deserve the retirement just yet, but I do not want them to lose their cool factor by destroying the topsheet.

2014-02-03_09-42-26_27_montage.jpg

As you can see the screen printed topsheet has a protective plastic layer that is coming off. I've used epoxy in many instances but it always peels off in the end. Now is the time to do it as I have always done it following use and the dry-ness of the repair has been good but not necessarily perfect. They have been out of circulation for a year and a half and are certainly as dry as they'll get.

What adhesive do you recommend. Bear in mind the protective layer is some poly-xxx type of plastic and the topsheet is screen printed paint. I can't sand due to the delicacy of the paint and some of the areas that need glue are in compound bends.
20170829_134359.jpg

You can see in these two shots how the plastic curves around to the sidewall. This would mandate a fairly fluid adhesive, I think, to allow it to flow into these areas that aren't accessible as the tail.

20170829_140257_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

20170829_140303_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

The whitish arcs on the topsheet represent the depth of the repair I need to do.

Would finding someone with a furniture press (vacuum bag) be helpful? In the past I've clamped with multiple clamps and plates, etc. to distribute the pressure.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
In topsheet situations like this, I'd try to find out some details on the topsheet material so I could figure out the best adhesive to use for the particular material (if I didn't already know). That's because some plastic/adhesive combos just don't work. Ideally, I'd contact a technical 'rep for the manufacturer for this. Or, I'd call a tech/buddy in another shop.

For adhesives, Tognar Toolworks carries a few different kinds - some specifically for delam repair.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug, I use loctite 608 Hysol epoxy for delam repairs. Takes 3+ days to fully cure but does a really good job in my experience. I got it from Tognar originally. In fact I just checked the box to confirm the details and noticed it had an expiry date of.......2009! :eek:

However I just used it a few weeks ago to repair a ski for my buddy and it worked no problem...

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks guys. This is a fairly old ski so I don't know what sort of help I'd get from Atomic, if any. I mentioned it to a rep and he sort of shrugged and said 'ya, we so that a lot with those.

I'll order the Tognar product and see what happens if I don't hear any other recommendations.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't gotten around to ordering the adhesive. Tognar recommends Hysol 608, the same one @ScotsSkier suggested.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January