• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'd have been more likely to pull down the bar if there had been a footrest. Honest question: why is there such a thing as a bar without a footrest? Is it a money thing? A weight thing?

Also, not to impugne the 21 year old man, but dude, there was a lot of pot being smoked in the parking lot. Maybe he just got a contact high ...

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Is it a money thing?
Yes. A few states require safety bars, and they are cheaper without the footrests. But I'm with Monique; if there's a bar I want the footrest with it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have been more likely to pull down the bar if there had been a footrest. Honest question: why is there such a thing as a bar without a footrest? Is it a money thing? A weight thing?

Also, not to impugne the 21 year old man, but dude, there was a lot of pot being smoked in the parking lot. Maybe he just got a contact high ...

Most of the time I try to avoid the footrest even if the bar is down. My feet like the pressure relief. Unfortunately, because I have short legs I usually can’t as they’re not long enough to hang under the rest. So, I appreciate the bars with no footrest.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, because I have short legs I usually can’t as they’re not long enough to hang under the rest. So, I appreciate the bars with no footrest.

Haha. My legs are so short that I normally don't even reach the foot rest...

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Thanks for your suggestions, every one! I ultimately decided it wasn't worth airfare, lodging, and food to ski one run for 10 days. I decided to do a trans Canada train trip instead. I'll be taking a train from Toronto to Vancouver, then doing biking and hiking in Vancouver along with some sightseeing. If anyone is in the Vancouver area - let's meet up! If not, I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have. Thank you for helping me make this decision!
Nice job to all to all that convinced a fellow skier that missing 8 days from her lifetime of possible ski days and experiences was a good idea. If the plan was to discourage a few extra folks from showing adding to early season crowd well played. Rub a little salt into wounds of those that stayed home with opening day pictures and tales. This may have been the only chance she would ever have to every ski The Basin and bask in the opening day stoke. Choosing to go skiing is always the correct choice in my world.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nice job to all to all that convinced a fellow skier that missing 8 days from her lifetime of possible ski days and experiences was a good idea. If the plan was to discourage a few extra folks from showing adding to early season crowd well played. Rub a little salt into wounds of those that stayed home with opening day pictures and tales. This may have been the only chance she would ever have to every ski The Basin and bask in the opening day stoke. Choosing to go skiing is always the correct choice in my world.

Okee doke. If it's always the right choice for you, you wouldn't have asked, just gone. They asked.

It's been over 40F, I think, every day since opening, and no real snow ...

Part of the problem may be that you're asking people who live in Colorado and have access to some of the best skiing on the planet mid season - whether it's worth it to travel to ski a WROD.

That being said, mountain biking right now around here is glorious.

Also I'm headed up to ski shortly. But I'm only investing a couple of hours.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd pick Vancouver exploring over mid October single run shit turns at A-Basin every time.
It's okay to have minimum expectations on conditions & terrain before spending lots of time and energy on going skiing, especially when traveling from Toronto, ya know?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Best Part of Ramrod opening is that it typically means a small bump line is allowed to form on one side of the run :) :)

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Endured the insanity of opening day. What an opening lift line, the hike up nearly killed me. Skied yesterday and today for a couple hours 8 to 12 runs. Looked for Phil/Tricia but no luck. Nice start to the 17/18 ski season.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
15 runs and counting. Finally softening up, but I have no edges anyway and thereiswhatsunderneath.

Ramrod is not going to be bumping up anytime soon given surface texture. There are a few piles to hop on High Noon now for a bit more athletic skiing.

91E8880E-2881-4B63-9BB8-38A76CC5BF93.jpeg 0B1E0ABE-3D60-42BC-93AB-D8AAD8542B3A.jpeg 495615E3-A917-40A8-864B-34F129DB5D55.jpeg 24D23FF4-364E-4130-95C2-1A8915569F7A.jpeg

Sponsor