• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any issues with Atomic Hawx Ultra?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So after 17 years I'm finally getting new boots (yeah, I know...hey, when you have boots you like, why switch?) I have tried on just about every manufacturer and (appropriate) model the past 2 years, and I was pleasantly surprised at the fit of the Hawx Ultra, which was tried on a whim as I typically have had to go with boots that are a bit wider. I like the light weight, as I feel that will help lessen fatigue on my legs (some concessions to age must be made...). Plus I figure if they feel good out of the box, the moldability will make them even better

My big question: I have seen at least one instance of these boots breaking, does anyone know if this is a problem with these boots? Or maybe just the stiffest model due to the material?

Thanks!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Can only pass on my own experience. Skied the 110 version all of last year, five days a week. Best boots I've ever owned. The lightness makes every turn easier; the moldable liner and shell made the fit excellent for me right out of the box (I usually use a foam liner) and there are no signs the liners are packing out. Never heard one complaint from anyone else using them. Can't imagine the 130 flex would be less durable. Highly recommended.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the feedback. I did read Dory's review. I know I saw somewhere about one pair having a major crack develop, probably on EPIC which of course is no longer available.
Mike_M, thanks for your feedback. I would not be surprised if I also end up in the 110 as well, but I need to evaluate them directly against my current boots. I'll probably have them by the beginning of November...then the wait for snow begins! LOL

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Truthfully my review should have just said "buy them, don't ask any questions" because for me to be able to be comfy and for it to perform close to a race boot is INSANE. Absolutely love it. There were some pre production cracking issues with the thin plastic, but they seem to have been worked out.
My ONLY warning is that you will have to get used to being able to feel EVERYTHING through the boot. You feel every little change in the snow surface.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried these on a few weeks ago and now reading @DoryBreaux review, I guess I need them. Guess I need to figure that in my budget.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The bootfitters in the shop I work at have given them rave reviews. Fit, weight and performance are all top notch. I'm going to be looking at a pair for myself this winter. I'll get the version with the tech fittings, though, for the (duh) tech fittings.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm considering the Hawx Ultra in 110 (I'm guessing?). I'm 5-10, 145-150lbs. I've been on my Full Tilts for 6-7 years.

Question for you bootfitters: How does the cantable grip pads work compared with a brand that's cantology compatible? With my current boots I needed 2 degrees of canting ground off the left boot and 3 degrees on the right, in addition to some cuff cant adjustments and ankle punches, so I doubt I'd be able to ski them with only the heat molding.

Also, how is the warmth of the liner, compared to Intuition liners?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm considering the Hawx Ultra in 110 (I'm guessing?). I'm 5-10, 145-150lbs. I've been on my Full Tilts for 6-7 years.

Question for you bootfitters: How does the cantable grip pads work compared with a brand that's cantology compatible? With my current boots I needed 2 degrees of canting ground off the left boot and 3 degrees on the right, in addition to some cuff cant adjustments and ankle punches, so I doubt I'd be able to ski them with only the heat molding.
While you are 2 and 3 in your Full Tilts, does not mean you will be that in another boot. Atomic uses a propriatary canting system. While I have not used it personally, I have fiddled with it and between that and as @DoryBreaux saying some of the canting being able to get addressed during the molding process, I think getting your standing straight will be achievable.
@Philpug didn't we discover there was no need for any kind of alignment after the molding process?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got the 2017 Atomic Hawk Ultra 130 this Spring and got to use them the last 10 days or so of last season and they are fantastic! Light, responsive and fantastic fit. Not as stiff as some race boot 130 flexes, so don't feel like they will be too stiff even though they will allow lower stiffness with removing rear bolts. I have not had any issues with leaking but there have been reported cases on all versions of the Hawk Ultra line it seems. Some may be due to the fact that the bottom buckles were not tight enough to allow a good seal. I guess the 2017/2018 have the following changes to make sure to eliminate the leaking issues on the Atomic Hawk Ultra 130- "Rearward flex is slightly stiffer/more supportive, water sealing has improvements over the instep and in the toe area."

So yes, JUST BUY THEM! haha

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, you've all got me sold....LOL. Next week is the shop's tent sale and swap. I have a couple of things to sell off, then should have plenty of money available to go for the Ultras. But I'll wait until after the hub-bub of the tent sale, things should be quiet for a few weeks, at least until November. Or the first frost, whichever comes first LOL

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll echo the opinions of others here. Got about 15 days in the 2017 Hawx Ultra 130 last season and really like the boots. Great fit -- snug but without any hot spots -- and so quick and responsive on the mountain. Hard to believe a boot that light is also quite stiff. I'm about 170-175 lbs and have no trouble at all flexing the 130 boot, so try on several flexes before deciding. I only had one day where a small bit of leaking was an issue (a powder day in Utah) and not a big cause of concern for me, but it's good to learn (via GregK above) that Atomic has improved the water sealing on this year's model.

So yeah, if you like the fit, then definitely pull the trigger!

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
YES, just got ready to put the new intuition liners in today and found a crack! The right boot across the instep just behind the lower toe buckle. its about a 1 inch crack. I will contact atomic and see what they say. 2017 atomic hawx ultra 130 / sz 26 about 30 days on them last year.
hawx boot.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
YES, just got ready to put the new intuition liners in today and found a crack! The right boot across the instep just behind the lower toe buckle. its about a 1 inch crack. I will contact atomic and see what they say. 2017 atomic hawx ultra 130 / sz 26 about 30 days on them last year. View attachment 31154
That's an odd crack, get it to your dealer to get them warrantied.

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
I'm going to try to deal with atomic directly since I bought them online from a private party,they were brand new and never cooked, unfortunately no dealer in my area was selling this model. the bottom side of the buckle is very sharp and lays directly on the overlap that cracked as I can see it cutting on the other boot as well. If atomic will not help and can repair myself and round the sharp edge on the buckles to stop this issue.....I hope.

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
I spoke to Atomic today and they are aware of the problem. They were very easy to deal with and said they will replace them free of charge asap. My local shop is an Atomic dealer and they are willing to do the legwork on my behalf. I will pay the shipping which I'm very happy to do.:thumb:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I tried on a Hawx 130 Ultra XTD. Wow! Wow!

I'm going to get a pair.

Sponsor