• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

An outsider's return

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
In a story that seems to be pretty common, I skied a lot as a teen, then less and less. I think the last time I was on the snow was around 2007. ...Then in 2019, I got back on the snow again, this time with my kids. It was even more fun than I remembered. It's decidedly NOT like riding a bike. I feel like my muscle memories are stored on old 5.25" floppy disks and I'm slowly, slowly, slowly uploading them. Now my wife's seen me and our kids enjoying the slopes and she's interested too - which will make ski outings a lot more fun!

Where my story is a little different, I think, is that most of the people that I know that ski were introduced to skiing by a mentor - someone that was already steeped in ski knowledge and culture. That wasn't me. I bought a complete ski setup - skis, boots and poles, for about $10 (I think) at a yard sale. It was 1985. The skis were from the 60s, the bindings had leather straps. I slowly began to expand and improve my gear, using Christmas presents and driveway-shoveling money to cobble together gear that could help my growing skill. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I taught myself using Warren Miller VHS tapes from the local library. Somehow, I managed to get better. I was having a lot of fun. But being mentor-less, there was a lot of "figure it out as you go along". Fast-forward to today, and I still have some weird gaps in my knowledge. I can ski bumps again (hooray!) but couldn't tell you what a good ski length is (I know that in the 80s, "it should curve over your head" was the common advice). I can usually control a some modest air, but can't tell you why some ski bindings are $700 and others are $150. I don't know why it seems like nobody uses roof racks any more. There are so many terms I don't know. I don't know what my skis are made of (which is a little embarrassing, because I tend to be a bit of a gear nerd).

So that last paragraph is kind of what brings me here: I'm trying to fill in those gaps in my knowledge, trying to learn more, trying to become a better skier. Hi!

Sponsor