• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

almost hit at Gore

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I was skiing at Gore, on Twister (a blue) going 20-25mph and another skier passed me, with their skis *touching* mine as they did. And they were going at least twice as fast as I was. Neither of us fell - and they didn't stop - just continued straightline bombing down the hill.

I was pretty shaken by their speed and how close I was to a catastrophe.

The trail is very wide and was very very uncrowded.

Last edited:

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is horrible. In addition, Twister is ultra wide due to its use as a training area for SG/GS.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was skiing at Gore, on Twister (a blue) going 20-25mph and another skier passed me, with their skis *touching* mine as they did. And they were going at least twice as fast as I was. Neither of us fell - and they didn't stop - just continued straightline bombing down the hill.

No worries, Darwin will usually get around to weeding out those guys. Unfortunately, there are often collateral damages during the weeding out process. :ogcool:

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I almost got smoked today. Was on video. I attribute it to Spring Break madness.

The two offenders didn't even put up a fight and were unusually calm. They knew they screwed up bad. One of them nearly flew off the run trying to avoid me.

My friend chased them down and made sure they didn't get away. Safety patrol took care of the rest. Had multiple people also witness it from the base area.

Black diamond groomed run with multiple fall-lines. I was freecarving the pitch, looking behind me on every turn. Still missed them coming at me due to misses in peripheral vision when you look quickly.... I look behind me aggressively enough to affect my turns.... The run was empty when I started down the last pitch to the base area....

Would have guaranteed been life-altering if the collision happened.

Oh yeah, neither of them were wearing a helmet and seemed to be on dated skis with sidecuts that didn't warrant the 50-60mph+ tucks.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Are you sure it wasn't intentional? My mind went that direction. I hope not.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gore IMO is notorious for straight- lining and crappy skiers flying by the seat of their pants.. Glad you are OK!! Keep your 'owl' head on mega swivel! I have too many friends that have been hit from behind in last few weeks! Stay Safe!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Are you sure it wasn't intentional? My mind went that direction. I hope not.

I still think it was only partly intentional. The approach is intentional but the perpetrator lose nerve at the last second, but they don't have the skills to uncommit.

There's a particular mindset of notice-me thrill seeking that backs off when the target wears size 52 and body armour.

At least that's what it would have been if I had posted what OP had.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still think it was only partly intentional. The approach is intentional but the perpetrator lose nerve at the last second, but they don't have the skills to uncommit.

There's a particular mindset of notice-me thrill seeking that backs off when the target wears size 52 and body armour.

At least that's what it would have been if I had posted what OP had.
...in your mind maybe and not to offend but remember we've seen pix of you posing on the side of a trail with the PugSki gang. You're not built like a linebacker and the helmet with built in top gun aviation style visor/googles would've made you a magnet :duck:

Nevertheless at an "off the beaten path" ghost town state run ski area (and I do like Gore), with only two on the spacious trail, to think it was a look at me Chinese downhill race motivated attack would be making excuses for the jerk. In my mind it sounds like a bad Venn diagram, flat out, out of control and bad luck vs the jerk intentionally wanted to pin-ball @jt10000 :nono: I would hope the former but as you said, "The approach is intentional", to me = guilty! Too bad ski patrol wasn't around to pull the pass!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
...in your mind maybe and not to offend but remember we've seen pix of you posing on the side of a trail with the PugSki gang. You're not built like a linebacker and the helmet with built in top gun aviation style visor/googles would've made you a magnet :duck:

Definitely *wasn't* a pic of me then. :D

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's the fault of the "Invisible Snowboarder"

In the real world people are a-holes and can act entitled. That skier was probably thinking that they should teach the slow skier a lesson, or just mess with other people trying to enjoy themselves on the mountain

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend chased them down and made sure they didn't get away. Safety patrol took care of the rest.
So what, if any, were the consequences? I take it they didn’t actually collide with you. I can guarantee that at PCMR there wouldn’t have been any consequences whatsoever.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No worries, Darwin will usually get around to weeding out those guys. Unfortunately, there are often collateral damages during the weeding out process. :ogcool:
This, it's not if but WHEN they do hit something at catastrophic speed. Hopefully it won't be another skier/rider when their luck runs out..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's the fault of the "Invisible Snowboarder"

In the real world people are a-holes and can act entitled. That skier was probably thinking that they should teach the slow skier a lesson, or just mess with other people trying to enjoy themselves on the mountain
Bro you were in MY LINE... Out in the surf it's the rider BEHIND catching the wave earlier who has the right of way.. Boarders who surf often have that mindset and actually think they are in the right 100% if they hit you from behind.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
So what, if any, were the consequences? I take it they didn’t actually collide with you. I can guarantee that at PCMR there wouldn’t have been any consequences whatsoever.
Their passes got scanned, and revoked. I think it helped there was video evidence from two different angles.

Looking back at the video, they would have simply just killed themselves if that pitch was water injected, even if they were alone on that run.

Resorts should water inject all of their groomers to enforce correct balance and technique.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing at Mt. Lemmon yesterday was interesting. It obviously got warm the day before, groomed while slushy spring snow, then froze. No place for beginners on last century's rentals. I was on the chair and saw this teenage girl in a flying wedge straight lining down the hill. When I got off the chair I skied down to see what happened. Well, she either managed to stop or make the 90° right hander. She and the teen boy who was there were stopped on the next pitch. I skied past them approaching a left hand hairpin. Then she sailed past me straight into the brush at the turn. Skis off, poles dropped before she got there. Very fortunately the little trees were <1" in diameter and whippy. She ended up in a slow moving pile. Long story short, she had a small abrasion on her jaw and I managed to talk her into stopping at the patrol shack at the bottom. I also notified patrol she may need help making it the rest of the way down. I saw her in the parking lot later and she appeared ok.

Just a story of luck and inexperience. Not every crazed speed demon is doing it on purpose. Had the trees been larger it would have been awful.

Sponsor

Staff online