• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All-mountain ski to complement a race/carving ski, for 11 year old?

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking for a 2nd ski for our 11 year old boy. He's just starting to become comfortable with black diamond runs and learning to carve with side edge angle. Currently on Rossignol Hero GS 135. He loves being playful on the ungroomed banks of the runs, moguls, and exploring deep into the trees. So I'm thinking to get him a 2nd pair that is more dedicated to that type of skiing, while keeping the GS skis for the days when the conditions are hard-packed.

I have Volkl Mantra M6 and I love those, so initially I was thinking about Volkl M6 Mantra Jr for his 2nd pair.

But he's still learning carving technique, so I'm leaning toward something with more camber so he doesn't develop bad habits to just slide around.

I discovered the Elan Ripstick 86 T. Would that fit the profile to balance it out for a 2nd pair? Or it also has a lot of rocker?

Also considering K2 Mindbender Jr and Nordica Enforcer 80 S and similar. Faction skis look interesting but I don't know much about this newer brand.

Last edited:
TS
D

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
(edit) I was just looking at videos of the (adult) Elan Ripstick carving and it looks like it is pretty soft with a lot of chatter. I like stiff, vibration free skis for my own fun, and would want the same for my kids. I keep going back to thinking about Mantra M6 Jr.

Sponsor