• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking for an all mountain but bump focused ski for skiing Elk Mountain PA Tunkhannock bumps(Hello Phil) and similar.

I skied a lot of bumps in my youth but don't get to ski them often enough any more, plus I'm older and reaction times and fitness are not what they used to be.

5' 9" 190, 30 day year skier, skied leather tele so good balance.

Currently use Volkl RTM 80 great carver, but tips and tails seem to catch in the bumps. Have a pair of Volkl BMT 94, tips and tails flow well but a little wide. As you can tell be these , I don't like a lot of camber in my skis.

So looking for high 70s to mid 80s, tip and tail taper, not a lot of camber, but still want to have a little groomer capability so not looking for a bump specific ski.

So far shortlist is-

Navigator 80
Brahma CA
Kanjo
QST 85
Black Pearl 78

Thoughts?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I recently demoed the Kanjo and really, really liked it. I skied it on small powder day and it was a blast. I only ski spring bumps but I kept thinking how fun it would be in them since it's so light and nimble.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking for an all mountain but bump focused ski for skiing Elk Mountain PA Tunkhannock bumps(Hello Phil) and similar.

I skied a lot of bumps in my youth but don't get to ski them often enough any more, plus I'm older and reaction times and fitness are not what they used to be.

5' 9" 190, 30 day year skier, skied leather tele so good balance.

Currently use Volkl RTM 80 great carver, but tips and tails seem to catch in the bumps. Have a pair of Volkl BMT 94, tips and tails flow well but a little wide. As you can tell be these , I don't like a lot of camber in my skis.

So looking for high 70s to mid 80s, tip and tail taper, not a lot of camber, but still want to have a little groomer capability so not looking for a bump specific ski.

So far shortlist is-

Navigator 80
Brahma CA
Kanjo
QST 85
Black Pearl 78

Thoughts?

Great list. Hard to argue with any of them, you are on the right track and seem to know what you are looking for. I would suggest a Look Pivot for the binding though.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recently demoed the K2 Pinnacle 88. It might be a bit wider than what you are looking for, and I am not sure how well it performes on ice or high speeds, but it was a very fun and easy-skiing bump ski. You might want to take a look if you can demo.

I'm 5'10", 165lbs and the 184 was a good length.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think your list has lots of skis that would be fun and playful in the bumps with their medium radius side cuts, tip/tail taper and rocker but most importantly, forgiving flex on the tip and especially tail. Most front side volkl carvers have stiffer/less forgiving tails that will punish you if you get in the backseat in bumps so I'm not surprised you don't love your Volkl's there. What sizes are your existing skis btw?

All the skis you have listed are forgiving in flex but some might be too soft with your size in shorter than 173cm plus lengths. The Black Pearl 78 only goes to 170cm and that's shorter than I'd recommend for you/you'd over power it I think with your size. I think and the Navigator 80 and QST 85 might be on the verge of "too soft" unless you get lengths around 179cm or longer and that may sacrifice quickness in the bumps.
The Volkl Kanjo and Brahma Ca would be my top choices in that list as they both are light, playful and forgiving but won't be over powered in sizes like the 173cm or 175cm for you. You COULD go up a size in either and still be okay I think but you may find the the longer lengths might be more work than the increase in stability you'd get with the longer length. Both will do well in the bumps and still be able to rip the rest of the mountain as they have a beefier mid sections than the others listed.

You have some demoing to do but think you have a good list started to try!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd like to mention the Stockli Laser AX. I only have about a half dozen really good bump days (a la Mary Jane) on them since getting them mid season last year, but they are about the best of the all-mountain type skis I've sought out for bump-centric use in the last 5 years. For reference, others I have liked in the bumps have been Salomon Pocket Rockets, Blizzard Bushwackers and Head Rock n Rolls.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
No one likes the mid-70s waist Blossom builds like the Ascente Avenger?

I've got close to 25 days or so over the last few seasons on the Blossom-built Pulse from hart. I think Phil might even have been the designer for the topsheet graphics!

To be honest, I passed on MULTIPLE skis that are all highly rated over the last 3 seasons because these things are just so good in most of the Eastern conditions I face. There's just something about the flex pattern in the Blossom-built skis that make them an incredibly versatile and pleasing ski for the East. I am not a bump expert, nor do I play one on TV, but I sure ski as well in the bumps and bumped-up, skied-out glades on these as on anything else I have tried!

They might actually finally be looking for a new owner this year, however, as I am anxiously awaiting my first days on my new Stockli Laser AX!!:drool:

TS
T

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for all infos.

Blossom, Stockli, Kastle too speedy for likely rock abuse.

Current skis are 176RTM/186BMT, wouldn't go shorter than 176 on this ski. So BP 78 out. Latino hard to find but good choice.

Unfortunately demo not likely. Agree Salomon may be too soft, bumps fine but may be a little wobbly at speed.

Of the remaining three(Navigator, Brahma CA, Kanjo) any thoughts on tip rocker/taper shape. Navigator rocker/taper is most elongated looks like it would flow better. Other than that, I think I could blind pick any of three and be happy.

Any real world comparison between these tip shapes.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Latigo would be similar to a wider non CA Brahma in that it has metal so not quite as forgiving as the Brahma CA in the bumps but would be great on hard pack snow.

Think any of the Navigator, Brahma CA and Kanjo would be similar as far a tip/tail taper go and it really the widths that will differ among them and their flex. The Navigator is the thinnest of the 3 and more tip taper so it would be the quickest in theory edge to edge and the best in trough moguls but wonder if the flex would be too soft when not in the bumps. The Kanjo would be the next up in width but have more of a back bone when not in the bumps and the slightly wider tip would help in going over softer snow I think. Brahma CA is the widest but still not too wide to be quick in the bumps and would be good in soft snow and on the hardback.

I'd say whatever ski I could get the better deal on between the Kanjo and the Brahma CA would be the one I'd pick.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
related: I've been skiing on the Brahma SP in a 173 length. From what I understand, the SP is similar to the CA. So far I have found this ski to be good for me (5'10", 150-160 lbs) in the bumps (i.e. White Lightning at Montage in PA). I have also skied it in general choppy snow, firmer conditions, etc. so far I have been very pleased this the SP.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nobody has mentioned the Hart F-17. I skied it once and it was amazing. The one I skied had side cut and I like that. Anyone have an opinion on this ski?

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online