• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Affordable ski jacket?!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @TheBestSkier Yeah, if you read @Drahtguy Kevin and my review of the antero 2 and 2plus, we discuss many of the thoughtful design extras that all add up to a truly superior product for skiers. I half-jokingly comment that the pit zippers alone make this jacket worth the price. But if you are out there in all kind o weather skiing in all different kinds of terrain, you will greatly appreciate the technical aspects of the Antero line for sure. I can also tell you the customer service I have experienced has been second to none Those things matter to me. As a small business owner, I am passionate about supporting small business offering superior products and very conscious about supporting US jobs.

@Alexzn makes some very valid and correct points btw. He's spot on about wear points and dwr feailures. I think he just needs to demo @Philpug's test jacket. westcomb products are fanstastic they are just cut too slim even for me.

Btw- I have not tested out my Strafe jacket yet (see initial review) but I am impressed with the build and features as well. Once I am able to ski again I will certainly be posting a review.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My Freeride Systems Antero II has become my go-to jacket. When I wear a different brand (as I did earlier this week) I am reminded quickly why I love the Antero II's construction and features. From the hood to the pit zips to the pockets, fit and durability, it is simply done right. And, as @Ron mentioned, dealing with @TheBestSkier is a joy. Nothing like calling or sending a message and actually getting answers instead of the runaround. I'll buy another sooner than later.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Legitimately intrigued. @TheBestSkier , @Philpug : I am happy to try the test Freeride Systems jacket, sure. I am usually a size large in my jackets :)

P.S. I may post some pictures of the seams and tape on a Westcomb, Patagonia, and FlyLow jackets to illustrate what I mean.

P.P.S. @Ron I looked at Strafe very carefully, their quality is on par with FlyLow, a step below Westcomb, Arcteryx, and high-end Patagonia.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I get taped vs welded but put it up if you have both.

FRS jackets run large but Phil's is a Large.

Last edited:

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Sorry I'm going to sound like an ass and go on a tangent here...

It's great you all love your Freeride Systems stuff and all, the Antero looks lovely, but... the o.p. appears to be a female. Freeride Systems has exactly ONE women's jacket (not the Antero btw). FRS's single female jacket looks like it may just be a smaller sized version of the men's in some girlyish colors. The Freeride Systems bro-fest is cute and all, but I'm very unimpressed with their female offering (offering singular). Shrink-it and pink-it doesn't work in the world of women's apparel... we have these things called boobs and they don't tend to fit nicely in men's clothing. Just like men don't fit very nicely into womens underwear... some may enjoy that, but most people prefer something that fits their own body. So maybe recommend something that's designed for a woman's body.

Oooh correction, sorry... TWO available womens jackets. (No I'm not counting the antero shown that is sold out)

Last edited:

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Let's get @JoannaSQ in a jacket. I
Sorry I'm going to sound like an ass and go on a tangent here...

It's great you all love your Freeride Systems stuff and all, the Antero looks lovely, but... the o.p. appears to be a female. Freeride Systems has exactly ONE women's jacket (not the Antero btw). FRS's single female jacket looks like it may just be a smaller sized version of the men's in some girlyish colors. The Freeride Systems bro-fest is cute and all, but I'm very unimpressed with their female offering (offering singular). Shrink-it and pink-it doesn't work in the world of women's apparel... we have these things called boobs and they don't tend to fit nicely in men's clothing. Just like men don't fit very nicely into womens underwear... some may enjoy that, but most people prefer something that fits their own body. So maybe recommend something that's designed for a woman's body.

Oooh correction, sorry... TWO available womens jackets. (No I'm not counting the antero shown that is sold out)

Haha. The one I was offering @JoannaSQ is definitely pink. It's the last of it's kind and I thought what a great place to market it.

Female sizing is tricky. We are still working on women's cuts. We went with the hour glass shape with our last female shells and fleeces. We have a new midlayer for women that should be our best women's specific cut to date. @tam I would give you an incredible deal on one if you would test it out for me.

I think you guys scared off @JoannaSQ

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Thanks for the offer @TheBestSkier but until you give some more options for women, I can only support the companies who are taking risks and putting out real women's lines with more options. When you give us 2 options (maybe 3? Can't tell if the Antero, or any of the other women's options for that matter, are actually a different women's cut, or just the men's cut in small sizes and pink?), it's basically saying you're not willing to take the risk and effort on women's stuff... so Im not going to take the risk and effort of buying it. I can't support companies who arent putting equal effort into their women's products. Sorry not trying to get all righteous and off topic here, it does seem like you've got a good company.

And yeah I think the op was scared off 2 pages ago!

Wasatch

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The OPs gone for sure, but this has been an education. I hadn't thought about it much, but I typically wear an old Demetre sweater under a shell that's not quite as old as the sweater. I choose the sweater/parka combo depending on conditions, but none of the parkas are newer than five years or so. I'm good for any condition in the dry west, but I wonder how I'd do where the humidity is higher.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
002.JPG

Seam tape on a hardshell with tricot interior.

ladyharrison.jpg

Lady's cut fleece that matches lady's shells.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LL Bean doesn't get a lot of love from experienced people, but they make some very skiable clothing for a good price.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The OPs gone for sure, but this has been an education. I hadn't thought about it much, but I typically wear an old Demetre sweater under a shell that's not quite as old as the sweater. I choose the sweater/parka combo depending on conditions, but none of the parkas are newer than five years or so. I'm good for any condition in the dry west, but I wonder how I'd do where the humidity is higher.
Yeah. I didn't get to answer because @JoannaSQ seems out of reach, but a cheap shell could be a great option to start. I am still using the Columbia I bought for my firt ski day. the nice thing about it, is that you can layer with whatever you already have. Here in the West of the US, most of the time it is a T Shirt and a long sleeves shirt for me.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@TheBestSkier In the sprit of reaching out to the female skier market, here is some feedback from my 14 y/o daughter on what she wants in a ski jacket (she has been skiing on Squaw Big Mountain team, so somewhat legit as far as freeride teenagers go).

Number one feature: cell phone pocket!!! (left chest- easy to get in/out, but not too big so it would rattle around.
Number two: pit zips for hiking.
Number three: a ski pass pocket to put it in and forget for the rest of the season.
Solid color with “maybe contrasting color zippers”.
Just a shell, without insulation or brushed lining.
Length: “right after the butt”.
“Flattering silhouette” but still slightly baggy for the range of motion and jumps. It should have room for a back protector or a puffy.
Sleeves that are wide enough to go over gloves with velcro "that does not suck".
Collar that goes almost up to the nose when the hood is over the helmet, but is not too tight. “We use bandanas but it is still nice to hunker down on the lift”.
hood that "does not suck".
Inside: a zipped pocket for valuables and a pocket for goggles or gloves.
Straight main zipper (offset zippers are “weird”).
Powder skirt

Wasatch

Skier
Yeah. I didn't get to answer because @JoannaSQ seems out of reach, but a cheap shell could be a great option to start. I am still using the Columbia I bought for my firt ski day. the nice thing about it, is that you can layer with whatever you already have. Here in the West of the US, most of the time it is a T Shirt and a long sleeves shirt for me.

I can't get away with a T shirt without getting cold usually. My base layer is usually a merino wool undershirt, then the sweater, then the jacket. On warmer days I'm able to shed the shell. Those old sweaters were knitted tightly. The wool keeps you warm but breathes. I wouldn't call them wind resistant, but they do amazingly well for what they are.

As a side note, pit vents are about the best invention ever. Mine are perpetually open unless I'm standing around in the snow for extended periods of time for some reason.

My legs never get cold. They're usually burning!

We have TJ Max, Savers and Deseret Industries in Utah. Not sure about other states, but I'd guess if you shopped around a bit, one could find a decent, brand name shell for under $75 new, maybe $35 used. I used to pick up used Lido and Demetre sweaters for about $10 in the mid '90s, but those days are long gone. If I didn't have several, I'd pay about $20 for one in good to fair condition, but last time I checked, my jaw about hit the floor. They're getting expensive.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
As a side note, pit vents are about the best invention ever. Mine are perpetually open unless I'm standing around in the snow for extended periods of time for some reason..

Your shell probably does not have the best breathability... My pit zips are perpetually closed, unless I am hiking uphill on a CA spring day. That's probably true for eVent and Neoshell jackets, GoreTex shells still need pit zips.

Wasatch

Skier
Your shell probably does not have the best breathability... My pit zips are perpetually closed, unless I am hiking uphill on a CA spring day. That's probably true for eVent and Neoshell jackets, GoreTex shells still need pit zips.

Could be. I think it has more to do with the sweater, or maybe even the dry climate. Admittedly, "Perpetually open" was probably an exaggeration. They're usually closed in deep snow or truly terrible weather, but keeping them open pretty much holds true (for me) across four different ski jackets from Patagonia, The North Face and Mountain Hardware. I also manage to get about fifteen miles of winter hiking per week in the mountains behind my home. I always have a shell with me, but I really only wear it when it's actively snowing or very windy. I would like to try some of the newer materials sometime.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I really love the protection and breathability of my winter cycling jackets, the Castelli Gabba2 conv. shirt/jacket and now the Castelli Perfetto long sleeve. Anyone know the equivalents for skiing? They are just SUPERB even on the lower effort downhills. Most of the time no need to unzip on the high effort climbs. Just superb breathability and wind protection.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I really love the protection and breathability of my winter cycling jackets, the Castelli Gabba2 conv. shirt/jacket and now the Castelli Perfetto long sleeve. Anyone know the equivalents for skiing? They are just SUPERB even on the lower effort downhills. Most of the time no need to unzip on the high effort climbs. Just superb breathability and wind protection.

gore wind stopper is what you want....only useful when dry.

if its wet out the best you ll do is Polartec Neoshell.