• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Love the enthusiasm.
I share it. We all do.
That's why Pugski is THE place to be when you're not skiing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's awesome, ain't it?! 70 people and we're not even into September.
image.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As of today, we have 79 individuals on the roll call.

Just for fun, we could probably reserve a private Pugski day at Powder Mountain or Beaver Mountain, as those two places don't get crowds. I doubt there's room for 79 people at the lodge at Pow Mow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As of today, we have 79 individuals on the roll call.

Just for fun, we could probably reserve a private Pugski day at Powder Mountain or Beaver Mountain, as those two places don't get crowds. I doubt there's room for 79 people at the lodge at Pow Mow.
I have an "in" at Beaver. Of course, I also have connections at Snowbasin.
Could definitely work some angles at PowMow, too.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I plan to arrive Friday evening in Eden, and have a warm up day on Saturday. Shamora and I have our MCP 3rd day at Snowbasin, so that's what I had been thinking, but who knows, if there's a general consensus to have a pre-Gathering Gathering at Pow Mow or the Beav, I could be convinced.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'd be in for PowMow; never been to Beaver but...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Looks worthwhile, 1600 vert, 400" of Wasatch snow.:daffy::snow:

HarkinBanks

Booting up
Skier
FYI, if a day at The Beav happens, that’ll be great. And yes, I (and others, I hope) can lead (date depending - my schedule is already filling up around that time.)

Realize Beaver Mtn. has an “Open Boundary” policy and some really good runs on the backside that require just long traverses to get back to the area. Do the areas ever slide? Rarely. Should everyone that goes back there have a shovel, probe, beacon, and the knowledge & expertise on how to use them? Yes.

HB

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, if a day at The Beav happens, that’ll be great. And yes, I (and others, I hope) can lead (date depending - my schedule is already filling up around that time.)

Realize Beaver Mtn. has an “Open Boundary” policy and some really good runs on the backside that require just long traverses to get back to the area. Do the areas ever slide? Rarely. Should everyone that goes back there have a shovel, probe, beacon, and the knowledge & expertise on how to use them? Yes.

HB
I was told that there is some REALLY fun out of bounds stuff there, and that if you know the right people, you can call for a ride ;)

HarkinBanks

Booting up
Skier
I was told that there is some REALLY fun out of bounds stuff there, and that if you know the right people, you can call for a ride ;)

Getting a ride from Logan Canyon down by “The Big Jump” back up to the area is ok, but very time consuming (it’s not like PowMow - no bus). Most do that run at the end of the day, but then they miss the partaking of adult beverages in the parking lot.

Skiing half way down (1000’ vertical) and catching the “Jeep Trail” back to the top of Little Beaver is much, much quicker and just requires a little skating and good wax.

Realize it can be hit or miss back there - snow conditions depending.

HB

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

HB

Most of the southeast aspect from the Harry's Dream lift (aka the backside) is about 27*. So its user friendly and "safe"-ish. There are a couple of spots on the backside where I have seen some debris piles a handful of times from very small natural slides (like a few meters long) over the 6 years I was a regular there. I think a skier unfamiliar with the place is more likely to just get lost / stuck along rt 89, or fall into a cave / sinkhole than get caught in human triggered slide on the backside at Beaver. There are sink holes in the area and skiers have fallen into them I am told.

And you are 100% right about the return. You can't call for a ride from Rt 89, no cell service. Its either, plan ahead to meet up, hitch hike, skin back, or walk 4 along the highway. And they do ticket for hitch hiking. Skating back on the spring road is by far the best way back in bounds.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also just to add, on a powder day at beaver, the backside is often skied out before the in bounds areas get skied out. Its a funny place.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also just to add, on a powder day at beaver, the backside is often skied out before the in bounds areas get skied out. Its a funny place.
I forgot you are an "insider" there also!
I hit it on a semi-powder day last year, with a lot of off-piste covered in barely skied-out goodness, and had a blast! It's not big-mountain skiing by any stretch, but it's a really fun mom and pop kind of place.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I forgot you are an "insider" there also!
I hit it on a semi-powder day last year, with a lot of off-piste covered in barely skied-out goodness, and had a blast! It's not big-mountain skiing by any stretch, but it's a really fun mom and pop kind of place.
I love those kinds of places!
:daffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor