• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Blizzard Sheeva 10 vs 2018 Atomic Backland FR 102 W

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sheeva 10 vs. Backlands 102w.png
At a time when there is so much discussion about women's ski gear, finding gems like these makes you realize that you can have it all. These skis are just two examples of how manufacturers are becoming more progressive. Not only are they are involving women in research and development, but they are also using better materials to achieve the right balance of strength and light weight, which in turn inspires confidence.

This matchup was a close one. Resulting from Blizzard's new Women to Women project, the Sheeva 10's all-new design was all I had hoped it would be and more. It charged through the varied snow and let me do the driving. While the Atomic Backland 102 has been around for two years, the technology holds up. I skied it when it made its debut and was pleasantly surprised by how nimble it was in moguls and trees while still giving me the edge I needed when I popped out on the groomers.

At 102 underfoot, both the Backland and Sheeva promise a fun, floaty experience during a resort powder day. The beauty of these skis is their versatility: after you are done with moguls, steeps, and bowls, they handle the groomers well when it's time to face the fact that the snow is tracked out and you're left with what's left. I skied both in a 172 length; the Sheeva has a slightly tighter turn radius, which made for for quick maneuvering in the trees, while the Backland 102 didn't let me down when put through the same paces.
  • Why choose the Sheeva 10? You want a resort powder ski to hit trees and moguls.
  • Why choose the Backland 102? You want a resort powder ski to hit bowls.
  • Other skis in class: Nordica Santa Ana 100, K2 LuvBoat, Rossignol Soul 7 HD W.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Having watched you tear it up on those Sheevas last winter, and having had a whole boatload of fun on them the same day, in essentially HIDEOUS conditions, well, I cannot wait to get my own pair!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, those conditions were challenging, to say the least. Great turns, tho.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't be surprised if I own a pair of Sheevas sooner vs. later ;)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia What's the longest length in the Sheeva or Backland available?
Thinking of trying a demo for kicks when I'm in UT if available.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Backland sizes - 156, 164, 172
Sheeva 10 -156, 164, 172
As a point of reference, here is the Sheeva 10 in 172, and Black Pearl 98 in 166cm

Attachments

• Sheeva 10 BP98.jpg
    Sheeva 10 BP98.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 53
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note:
The Sheeva 11 (112mm) comes in 180
The Backland 109 comes in 175

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia What's the longest length in the Sheeva or Backland available?
Thinking of trying a demo for kicks when I'm in UT if available.

I skied the Rustler 10, which is very similar, in a 180, and it had all the characteristics Tricia mentioned. In fact, I had it in bumps and groomers only, very maneuverable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied the Rustler 10, which is very similar, in a 180, and it had all the characteristics Tricia mentioned. In fact, I had it in bumps and groomers only, very maneuverable.
For a lady that needs this ski in a 180...the Rustler 10 would be that ski..basically scaled larger.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For a lady that needs this ski in a 180...the Rustler 10 would be that ski..basically scaled larger.
Keep in mind that any ski with the W2W seal has a different core and carbon placement.
To that point, I can see that the Rustler 10 in 180 is likely really close in how it skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January