Featured Cage Match Comparison 2018 Blizzard Rustler 11 vs 2018 Nordica Enforcer 110

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews and Comparisons' started by Philpug, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Philpug

Philpug The Ski'er Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.41.36 AM.png
    Some cage matches are tougher than others; this one of them. When the skis are more similar than different, my work gets harder -- but of course that's why you pay me the big bucks.

So where do we start with the similarities? The same factory? The same parent company? Where, oh where do we start? Well, both of these skis evolved from platforms that had been around for at least half a decade. The Nordica replaces one of the reference skis in this 110-115 category, the Patron, a powder ski as popular in the East as it was in the West. The Rustler replaces the Gunsmoke, which (sorry) never lived up to its Flipcore roots from the Freeride Bull collection.

Yes, both of these skis are all new. The Enforcer 110 took DNA from both the Patron and the perennially sold-out Enforcer 100 and created a much better Patron that is more powerful yet not as heavy and planky as the Helldorado. The longer Enforcer wheelbase is the ingredient that solidifies the 110's place in the lineup. Blizzard seemed to try too hard to make the Gunsmoke likable: the ski just felt contrived. If you asked four people where it should be mounted, you would get six different answers. Not so much with the new Rustlers: you would think that a ski that is pretty similar couldn't be so different. Well, dropping the tail and changing the flex makes you completely forget about the uhmmm ....
    • Why choose the Enforcer 110? You are looking for a little more power; this is the bigger Enforcer 100 we were waiting for. For 11/10th skiers, there is the Enforcer 115 Pro.
    • Why choose the Rustler 11? You want to relax in the crud, you don't need to be the first one back at the lift. But what if there are drinks on the line? Well, if you end up paying, you won't be able to blame the skis.

Jim McDonald, Kurt, allgash and 4 others like this.
  2. Unpiste

Unpiste Booting down Skier

Love the Patrons in heavy Tahoe powder (they just don't seem to get hung up on anything, even a light refrozen crust), but they do start to get thrown around once the snow gets packed down. Not sure I necessarily need the power of the Enforcer 110 on a powder day (though it could certainly be fun), but I'm very curious to give the Rustler a try. Looks like it could be a perfect mix of the Patron's easy-going (though highly carveable, should the desire arise) nature with a little of the crud-busting abilities of the bull series thrown in.

Philpug likes this.
  3. allgash

allgash Drinking Maine beer Skier

Thanks @Philpug for this comparison! Both of these skis have gotten fantastic reviews, and they both seem like great choices.

Would you say that the Enforcer 110 is any harder to drive than the Enforcer 100? One website I looked at listed the Enforcer 100 as being an advanced through pro ski, whereas the 110 was considered just a pro ski. But on the other hand, Blister's review makes the 110 sound like basically a 10mm wider version of the 100. I'm writing this as someone who is about 5'9" and 140 lbs loved the 100, and is considering the 110 as a powder/crud ski, but is worried that it will be too much of a ski :cool:

4. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Nice comparo! I'd love some Enforcer 115 input from the technical skiers on this site.

The shape calls to me. Noticeably less tail rocker than the 110. But the days of me needing a Big Boy Huck Stick that doesn't come alive until 35 mph are FAR gone.

5. Kurt

Kurt Alps Skier

Thanks for the comparison. I loved my Patrons, the early version with less mainstream graphics, until they delaminated and I had to move on to another ski. As others mentioned the only time I questioned them was when it got packed out. Ended up with a totally different ski in the Volkl Katana vWerks and love them for different reasons than the Patron; not only fun in powder but better on packed than the old Patron. How is the Enforcer 110 on packed?

6. Philpug

Philpug The Ski'er Admin Pugski Ski Tester

On the packed, the new Enforcer 110 was significantly better than the old Patron ever could be. The longer wheelbase and additional stiffness allowed the 110 to be a lot more stable. Sure, it lost some of the playfulness that the Patron had but the pluses out weights that loss.

Kurt likes this.