• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Atomic Redster S9 vs 2018 Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elite ST Ti vs S9 R.png
We love technical skis on Pugski. We love skiing them, and we love talking about them. The one ski our testers universally loved at this year's testing was the all-new Atomic Redster S9. Few skis matched it in sheer fun. I think the main thing that impressed our testers was its versatility. Many technical skis are one-trick ponies that want to make one turn and one turn only, but the S9 did pretty much anything that was asked of it. Atomic has long been a proponent of external dampening and controllers, and the new Redsters carry that technology with the new ServoTec, which is shared with its full-bore race skis; its addition here is what really helps set the S9 apart.

Like the Atomic, the Rossignol has a level of versatility but also a level of precision that is an nth degree better than felt from the Atomic; that "nth" creates a bit more purposeful feel on the snow. But as it is with all cage matches, it comes down to what you as the consumer want. The other little (well, maybe not so little) design feature from the Rossi is that the binding is WTR/GripWalk-compatible. According to some recent research, Rossignol’s Elite series is the only sub-70mm collection that accepts WTR and GripWalk boots; for some, this could be the deciding factor.

(Note: Anywhere in this comparison, you could substitute G9 for S9 for the Atomic and LT for ST with the Rossignol. The same holds true, word for word.)
  • Why choose the Redster S9? You want a full-bore race ski but don’t want to deal with everything a full-bore race ski requires. There are not enough O's in "smooth" to describe the S9.
  • Why choose the Hero Elite ST Ti? You want a technical ski but have a pair of those newfangled WTR/GripWalk boots. No worries, you don't have to compromise on a ski: you can have your comfortable boots and your high-performance technical ski!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
This category needs a Cage Melee. I know ScotsSkier served up a great overview of this sort of ski, but mostly from a refined and informed master racer perspective. I'd like to see all of these tech slaloms for the masses compared with just a little more of a nod towards recreational use like above (or at least throw in the new Elan SLX, racetiger SW SL, and the Doberman evo!). Great review comparison as always, btw.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This category needs a Cage Melee. I know ScotsSkier served up a great overview of this sort of ski, but mostly from a refined and informed master racer perspective. I'd like to see all of these tech slaloms for the masses compared with just a little more of a nod towards recreational use like above (or at least throw in the new Elan SLX, racetiger SW SL, and the Doberman evo!). Great review comparison as always, btw.
@ScotsSkier is working in the full bore race skis.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Nice comparison. Are there any changes in the '18 Hero Elite ST Ti, or is it the same as the 2017?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

I would suggest the Atomic X9

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would suggest the Atomic X9

On my short list... I skied the Redster XT in a 175 last year (a very good skiing, older, ski buddy uses these 90% of the time and let me take a few runs on them)...and these are the direct descendants.. how versatile did you find these, Ron?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
On my short list... I skied the Redster XT in a 175 last year (a very good skiing, older, ski buddy uses these 90% of the time and let me take a few runs on them)...and these are the direct descendants.. how versatile did you find these, Ron?

I tested the x7 which is similar and we discussed the x9 which others tested. You can read my review but I found it to be happy to make different turn shapes or even ski flat and capable of drifting. My choice for narrow versatile skis is still the Stöckli laser ax that seemingly does everything you throw at it up to several inches of fresh. It’s not an SL of course but 16m tr at 175 gets the job done. That said, I would gladly own a s9. That ski is amazing

mogsie

Booting up
Skier
I did ski the X9 last year and it was by far my favorite! I never liked Atomic skis ( except for my Automatic 117!!!)... Yes they could performed but they always felt dead under my feet... Getting rid of the decks and cap-sidewall-cap construction and getting back to a more traditional construction (plus the rod) was a nice move from Atomic as the ski felt so performant and lively! I skied them back to back at a demo day at Tremblant with the Hero Elite, the Dynastar Speed Zone Ti 16, the new Blizzard Quattro and some Salomon that I didn't even bother to retain the name...

Of all them, I preferred the X9... It felt the most balance and well made in term of performance, polyvalence ( varying the radius ) and feel /feedback

In term of performance, the Quattro was at par... They still are really nice skis ( they are the next generation of my R-Power) but the X9 feels more polyvalent as for the same level of performance, the X9 seems to be able to do so with a ski that doesn't need to be as stiff as the Quattro

The Speed Zone were also very interesting... Still High level performance but they felt like big toys. In the bunch, they are the ones that I felt I could have fun with in varied conditions and terrain... They are the ones that I felt had the most forgiveness

The Hero Elite felt just ok after having tried the other skis... I have better memories of my Rossi Radical with the I-Box...

In term of pure slalom ski, I also still prefer the Laser Sl with the race plate

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I tested the x7 which is similar and we discussed the x9 which others tested. You can read my review but I found it to be happy to make different turn shapes or even ski flat and capable of drifting. My choice for narrow versatile skis is still the Stöckli laser ax that seemingly does everything you throw at it up to several inches of fresh. It’s not an SL of course but 16m tr at 175 gets the job done. That said, I would gladly own a s9. That ski is amazing

I have the Atomic Redster XTI which I believe is the "older" version of the X7. I have a hunch that I'll be selling the XTIs soon because my Stockli Laser AX skis are so good I don't need both. I've only had the Laser AX out a handful of times but am very pleased with those things. I want a little more time with the Stocklis but I think that's where this is headed.

:beercheer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So what would be a good cage match for my Hero Elite LT Ti's, if I chance upon them at a demo tent? I ski them in 183 cm and love them on the groomed. I don't race.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I used to own the Atomic Redster XTI and sold it because I felt I didn't need it with my Head Rally's and my Stockli Laser AXs. However, now that they are gone I miss them. My Rally's and Stockli's are fine but the Redsters had edge grip that was unparalleled, not to mention they were VERY easy to ski and I had a ton of development as a skier on them. I'm thinking about getting another pair to play around with on hard snow days when it's been dry for a bit. I think the X7 is the new version of the XTI. I'm going to hunt down a pair over the next few months.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid